Paleo diet?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by chux, Mar 31, 2014.

1. I looked all over, but couldn't find a thread about the Paleo diet. I want to take up this diet (not because of weight, just want to live healthy) and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to share.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. What do you want to know?  Tons of sites out there dedicated to paleo way of living.

3. I was wondering if anyone had any favorite recipes, tips on harder to get vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, or any other general advice.

4. Although I think the sentiment to decrease our consumption of processed foods is good, the fundamental concept behind the paleo diet is flawed. Meat in the modern day looks almost nothing like game meats from our forefathers...chemically, or biologically. Plus, excess consumption of animal products as advocated by these eating plans have been linked to ALL sorts of issues, including cancers, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

5. I do not plan to base my diet around meats entirely. The Paleo diet for me is more about processed food, dairy, grain, and sugar.

6. It helps with gerd

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

nothing wrong with processed food unless the process is wrong

drying or cooking or adding salt are all processes.

grains and sugars shouldnt be a part of any diet program so they are not exclusive to "paleo"

and does dairy include stuff like butter and cultured milk because if so not eating that stuff is pretty dumb imo.

8. The idea of the Paleo diet is good, but I don't like the whole extremist apporach to it. Such as not eating white potatoes, legumes, and peanut butter. That's just silly.

9. Not eating milk is dumb? Thats silly. You dont need milk yogurt cheese butter ect. They are yummy and can be healthy but many argue that humans arent suppised to eat milk. Idk about that though.

Personally im allergic to milk. And many lack an enzime required to digest it (lactose intollerant)

I dont think im lactose intollerant but i get anaphalaxys whenever i eat milk products

10. I don't really tolerate dairy to well so I really only eat it for dessert (ice cream! :yummy: ).  I use ghee instead of butter.  

The idea is to make an informed decision.  There are reasons certain foods are excluded or limited, find out why and then decide if you care or not.  Use your own brain to make choices, not someone elses.  

11. It was about 4 years ago that I started really getting into health matters and over the course of time, I progressively moved to what's essentially a mix between the Paleo Diet and the Mediterranean diet.

It's important for me to emphasize that I don't really regard it as a "diet" in the sense that most people do. "Oh My life is miserable because I'm on this DIET!"

Rather it FEELS great to be on this type of diet. Moreover, as I dug deeper into health matters and biochemistry, these types of diet principles make a lot of sense given the design of our bodies.

There's a lot of great info here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

More than enough to get you going, LOTS of great recipes too.

In short, the most important concepts to me are:

Restrict/eliminate processed foods, refined sugars, GMOs
    Restrict starchy carbs and grains - pastas, breads, etc unless gluten-free *This was a BIG one, alongside processed foods, perhaps one of the most important parts. Yes, I still eat biscuits and pizza from time to time (personal favs) but day to day, IMO they do not serve us well.

Focus the diet on QUALITY meat sources and HEALTHY fats! Grass-fed, pastured, free range, etc. There's a lot of scientific info @ MarksDailyApple on this but in short, consider this:

Our glycogen stores are relatively limited. Perhaps 150grams in the liver and 400 or so throughout our musculature. When the diet is high-carb, our body shifts to run off them and constantly requires constantly stuffing in more carbs throughout the day, otherwise we crash. The human body is capable of running off fats and ketones - and demonstrated by evolution and survival over the eons before agriculture (only 10k years ago) fats were necessary for our survival. The glycogen stores are relatively limited, but we can store ~100,000 grams of fat within the body, estimated to be about a million calories. Through gluconeogenesis we can burn fats for energy, enjoying a more sustained energy. The only big drawback is for "intense athletes" who need constantly replentished glycogen stores. But considering most of us aren't triathletes, we could simply eat a piece of fruit for extra glucose after training.

Healthy fats are important (coconut oil, butter, olive oil) because we literally need saturated fats and cholesterol to MAKE our hormones. Hormones are a deep subject on their own, but are involved in so many processes, especially making testosterone which for us men is very important.

Quality protein + healthy fat is a high priority and to be honest, most calories should come from these fats.

The trick though IMO is to balance the protein + fat intake with lots of raw fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds throughout the day. Raw veggies and fruits have live enzymes that help break down proteins and fats, help move them through our bowels and get them out of the body with minimal left behind to rot inside our bowels. IMO just doing lots of meat and fat will result in very poor overall health.

I've gotta jump offline but check out Marks daily apple, should have enough to keep you busy for weeks.

Catch ya later, be well.

Oh, btw, best breakfast ever for man:

Free-range eggs, fried in grass fed butter, served with raw greens/onions/other veggies. GOAT breakfast! Forget cereal and donuts!

12. Wow! Thank you so much for all the advice and info. MarksDailyApple seems to be a great resource and I will definitely be using it in the future.

13. My diet (for just shy of 5 years) has been about 80% Paleo.
    I don't eat any bread, pasta, rice, or potatos........ or dairy.
    I do eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies, and tons of lean meat.
    A few exceptions to the Paleo diet that I make are, I eat a strictly regulated amount of oatmeal (chose it as its easy to measure, 'basically' gluten free, and I love it :) Also, I drink Silk Soy Milk... at least in my oatmeal, although I try not to just pick up the carton and guzzle it :)
    And PB by the ton. Paleo has a problem with this, as peanuts are not really nuts, but legumes. I actually love nuts, but can't really eat them do to dental issues. And real nut butter (Almond, Cashew, etc) is freaking stupid expensive !

I also don't trip on a little sugar, or other stuff in stuff like BBQ sauce, or Terryaki, or Yoshida's. I want my food to taste good. And its not like your going to sit down and eat a bowl full of BBQ sauce anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anyway, regardless of what diet you settle on, my best advice for sticking to it, is to pack yourself a lunch box "every day" for work or play. Then, you will never find yourself stuck out, hungry, with nothing healthy available to you.

I haven't had 1 bite of fast food, potato chips, candy, or basically processed bull shit, in 5 years, because I haven't had to. I've had good food with me, every day, since my health and fitness turnaround.

So yea', I'm not on a diet. This is just how I eat now.

Oh, and OCD can be a very helpful tool :)

Lots of truth to all that you said here..... But IMPO, you have gotten a little too sucked in, with the whole > Grass fed, free range, etc. < this, and anything to do with Organic, is pretty much bull shit, too. Costs WAAY too much, and their has been little to no evidence to say that it is any safer, or more nutritious.

I got into it with a bunch of members here, over this matter a while back, so I already know that a BUNCH of the others here have been brainwashed with all of the Organic, free range, yada, yada, BS too. Not expecting any support over this now, either.

But I am a guy who will say what he thinks, even if he's the "only one" who thinks it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Eating a lot of lean proteins, healthy fats, and keeping your processed / condensed carbs down, is all good. But that's as far as it needs to go. Worrying about where or how that cow or chicken was raised, is to waste time and money, splitting hairs over something which has nearly zero scientific evidence to support it.

Did you no that the American Cancer Society has not proven 1 single case, of somebody getting cancer from eating non-organic food ?

15. Its true. Being 100% on the paleo diet is impractical for society anyway.

Part of the reason we eat processed sugars abd grains is shelf life. Longer lastjng foods = longer lasting humans

16. Take it from someone who has done Paleo for several years already :) For me, the best that I have tried is Paleo. Not only did it help me lose weight, but actually feel great! I wrote a book about it because it inspired me to share the greatness I have found in Paleo with the hope that other people will benefit from it also :)

17. the only issue that i have with paleo diet is that it doesn't take into account the recent spill in fukushima. those in California eating copious amounts of fish (or anyone eating sea food from Atlantic, for that matter) better be careful.
    additionally a lot of usa gulf sea life has been contaminated due to the bp oil spill..

basically in the recent years our sea food and meat has become more contaminated than ever. that's why i personally try to find similar nutrients in plant-based sources. not to say i don't eat meat or fish... but in much lower quantities than paleo diet would recommend. 

everything else about it (even meat and fish as long as you purchase the right things) makes sense.

p.s. also i don't like the notion of eating like a caveman .. i mean the whole idea of paleo says we should eat like cavemen, but we don't live like cavemen. so why even make that connection? seems to contradict itself from the get-go.