^^Paintings You Like^^ Thread

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by southernganja, May 17, 2011.

1. I searched to see if there was a thread like this and didn't see anything so if this is something that's already been done and I overlooked it I apologize but....post in here pictures of paintings you like, whether done by a famous artist or not. Here are a couple of prints I have in my room. Sorry for the picture quality I don't have a good camera :(

First is "Harlequin and his Companion" by Picasso. The second is "Café Terrace at Night" by Van Gogh with a photograph on the right of the actual café that Van Gogh used as inspiration, in France as it is today.

Attached Files:

2. Bump for great art

3. Very nice. Is that first one from Picasso's Blue Period? I have some Edward Hopper prints in my room but I am not home right now so I can't take pictures of them.

4. These are 4 of my favourite paintings :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salvador Dali,Alex Grey and Pablo Amaringo are the artists if you look them up you will be able to tell the difference so no need to name which is by who :smoke:

5. Good eye, it's from 1901 so it was one of the first blue paintings. I love Hopper, he painted the world that I wish I'd lived in...

@Rasta Those are some trippy paintings man ha :smoke:

6. No kidding :smoking:

I am liking that Hopper dude to.. normally I find art like that kind of boring.. not in a it's a bad art kind of way just my imagination is a crazy fucker that does not like just looking at tables but I will look up more by Hopper for sure thanks for posting.

Cheers.

7. I live in Raleigh, NC and there is an Anthony Goicolea exhibition at the NCMA right now. I'd never heard of him until I saw it but his stuff is incredible. Here is one piece that I really liked though. He uses graphite and acrylic on mylar which gives a really cool look.

Attached Files:

8. @Rasta I know what you mean, for me looking at Hopper's paintings I start imagining what the people are doing in the scene or how I would be acting if I were in it and then I'm thinking about this whole other reality so it's trippy in a different way. Funny how even feeling trippy is so different among people

@Lamb that does look really cool, I'll have to check out some of his other stuff hopefully there's a lot online

9. @Sunshine I've never been a big fan of modern art like the first two pictures, I just don't get it? The vietnam piece is really cool though

10. If you like Hopper check out Andrew Wyeth if you haven't heard of him. He was an American realist too with a similar aesthetic to Hopper but his stuff has a touch more of eariness to it. This piece is at the NCMA too... I love it.

Attached Files:

11. I always liked Salvidor Dali............

12. i've heard of him, forgot he was a realist, that painting looks like photo almost wow

13. I got the same feelings from his art which is why I liked it. I like lots of art out there.. actually to some extent I like all of it I find expressions of ones thoughts (art) interesting on all ends even drawings of tables but when it comes to favourites normally I pick things with lots to them.. but I have looked more up by Hopper and still like what I see so Hopper gets two thumbs up from me :D

Lamb that anthony guys art is pretty gnarly I liked the one with all the people on the bikes.. I should of took note of the name of it but oh well haha

14. #16 OneLove., May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    It's art history time :devious:....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... Poor image quality but you guys get the picture ;)

15. #17 rubbs, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
    El Guernica, de Pablo Picaso:
    im not an artguy but i love everything about this painting; what it symbolizes, etc
    ill never forget the feeling that i got when i saw it "live" its indescribable..
    [​IMG]

16. i obviously dont own any of these.....

i grew up as a young child next to this river....i lived in the next 6 towns north of the place you would have had to stand to take the picture that would match this first painting....
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Doughty (1893-1856)

View of the Hudson River from West Point

20 by 24 inches oil/canvas

i went to the MET when i was 12or13 and saw an entire showing of Hudson valley painters.....
    there are many styles of painting i enjoy......but these are home to me.....

[​IMG]

Hudson Valley in Winter, Looking Southwest from Olana
    1870-1880, Brush and Oil Paint, graphite traces on paperboard
    Church, Frederick E. ( 1826-1900)

Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution/

Art Resource, NY. Gift of Louis P. Church

17. edit. one love i know ive seen the first two paintings that you posted, can you give a little info on them..

Jacques Louis David. great paintings and awesome historical context.

Napoleon's coronation.
    [​IMG]

Marat's death:

[​IMG]

Tennis court Oath:
    [​IMG]

for some reason i am the most attracted by art which has historical background, i think becouse it takes me "closer" to the history.

18. Art does take you closer to history because it often embodies the times, one of the reasons I like Hopper so much is because he painted the loneliness of post-war America and suburbia