Painting a Japanese Rising Sun on my wall--Help

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Dubsackz420, Jan 11, 2010.

1. #1 Dubsackz420, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
    What up GC? I intend on painting a Japanese Rising Sun on my wall in my bedroom because I think it looks cool, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any direction on how to go about painting it. I've never painted a mural or anything like that and I feel like it might be difficult to paint the rays of the sun perfectly. Also, my walls are already red so I basically just need to paint white rays.

Here's a picture so you know what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

2. painters tape.. then just cut a circle in some construction paper or something then take the outside part of it to use as a stencil.. ive never painted a mural either but thats just what im guessing to do.

3. yeah that shit will be easy with some painters tape.
    that'll look really cool man nice idea.

4. I'd say stencil out the inside of the circle with tape, and then tape the outlines of the white stripes to the thickness/angle of your liking.

Thats an interesting idea :wave:

5. Thanks for the response guys. The thing is though, you see how the stripes are kinda like tapered out? I have no idea how to measure that. I figured painters tape to make the lines and the circle, but I just cant figure out how to make all the measurements the same throughout the sun. Those rays are gunna be like impossible haha

6. i would the wall red then with some type of straight edge (so it the rays look straight) paint over the red with white lines if you get what im sayin...

7. I do wall murals... there are a few ways that you can get this on your wall. i use 2 different methods.
    one way to do it is to draw a grid onto your wall, say 1ft by 1ft. then draw a grid on the art you want, make sure they both have the same amount of squares. then you pretty much free hand the drawing using the grid as a guide. its a bit difficult to do and takes a while to get it done.

another way to do it is to buy or barrow a wall projector. simply project the image onto your wall then trace it out and paint it. downside is that projectors cost money but they are useful.

check out this link, i used both methods, gl.

http://forum.grasscity.com/artists-corner/301499-huge-painting-i-did-check-out.html#post3423966

8. I powdercoated a valve cover with the Rising Sun flag a while back.

It was a bitch.

Painting the red first and masking off and painting the white is easier from a masking stanpoint, but requires a lot of coats of white to keep the areas where the red in underneath from looking pink. I tried to paint a red room white one time and it took 4 or 5 coats to hide all the red.

The way the rays taper makes them triangles with the point of the triangle in the center of the red dot. Put a thumbtack in the wall, tie a string to and a pencil at the other end of the string in the length you want the radius of you sun to be. Make a circle with the pencil that defines the edge of your circle.

Then take thin masking take and make 32 lines that start at the center of the circle (where the thumbtack was) that look evenly spaced.

Those are the start of your rays.

Continue those stripes out to where the wall meets another wall or the floor or whatever.

Mask around the circle and skip the space between every other ray.

Cut the rays back to the edge of the circle.

Apply red paint.

When it dries, remove the masking take and tape over the edges of the red paint with GREEN masking tape.

Paint the rest of the wall white.

If you need illustrations to explain any of that, let me know.

9. My brother did this, and he measured the spaces PERFECTLY. I dunno how, I think he had something to create the angles, and just went for it, the only problem (so not so perfect) is you can see he painted the circle in the centre first, then the sun beams, maening it's not quite like a digital image, but it still looks nice :)

After seeing other posts, this one's less significant, blam myself. But yeah, good luck with it anyway

10. I haven't checked the link seeing as I am in class however, I love your idea. That grid idea might be awesome. Just have to scale it down. The projector method I also like but I don't know anyone/anywhere I can borrow a projector. Thanks for the input though.

11. This sounds like the way to do it. Use a protractor and a pencil before using any paint or tape maybe?

12. Do the exact opposite of this, red will cover white a hell of alot easier than white will cover red. I used to paint for a living, i know.

13. hi, i'm planning on putting this on my wall too - how did it turn out?

loz

14. I never actually ended up doing it. But if I do I will let you know how it goes/post pictures. Currently though, it's just a little pipe dream.

15. ok i'll let you know if i ever do it - pics etc

16. If you do end up doing this the best way to do it is with a little math. First, at the base of each ray, measure the distance between the red stripes. Lets say its 1". Now measure the distance between the red stripes at the outer edge of the flag. Lets say thats 5". To put it up draw a cirle. now for every one inch put a tick on that spot on the outside of the circle. now take a ruler and extend the lines perpendicular to the circle so that each ray will "fan out". now just take the ruler and draw a rectangle around the rays and erase whats left. just paint every other space inbetween the lines red and youll have your flag. Hope its not too long and confusing.

17. do your math and measurements.
    Do it, its not that hard.
    find the circumference of the circle,
    divide it into equal segments.
    do the same with the outer edges of the rays,
    and you'll have perfect rays.