Painting a car?

Discussion in 'General' started by punkyworld, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Alright so me and a friend are gonna paint this black dude's car for $450. We have the spray gun, we just need to go with him to buy paint and all that crap. I'm just wanting to know if any you blades have some advice so we don't screw up. I know to tape off everything that doesn't need paint, and I know to prime it and clear code it and all that. Do ya' think it will turn out alright?

2. good luck

3. it's not going to be as easy as you think. you have to wait for the right temperature (and wind if outside). My boss was gonna respray my car before I totaled it and he said there was a lot of stuff that needed to be a certain way before he could spray my car.

4. Doesn't a car need to be sand blasted down to the metal before you can primer and start painting?

My uncle was restoring a Charger (some muscle car from the 70's) and he had a to strip it down and send the chasis somewhere to get sand blasted.

It was this whole big deal. Expensive too. Maybe this isn't always the case though. I hope you know what you're doing.

Good Luck!

5. it's best if you sandblast and reprime it, but doesn't have to be done.

6. yeah the key points have been said. wind,and sanding
    just try to get off the bumper and stuff and if u can take out the windows and mask it from them from the inside.

7. The trick to getting that pretty mirror-like finish you see on cars is "wet sanding" between coats of primer and paint. I recently painted my old computer and after much wet sanding to get the surface smooth, I used rubbing compound and then polishing compound. The result is a mirror-like black finish that looks as good as any car I've seen. Do a google search and you should be able to find a good how-to. Don't expect to just spray on a bunch of primer/paint/clear-coat and have a proffesional looking finish. It takes patience and attention to detail to get that true pro look. I'll take a pic of my computer to give an idea of what you can achieve. i'll post it here in the next day or two.