Pain and Suffering. Why?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by meddlehaze, Nov 26, 2011.

1. by definition, to think is to hold some form of opinion, belief, or idea.

It really doesn't matter though, I know what you mean. What do you think...?

2. Your very right indeed sir. And I'm glad you understood me while I'm slightly stoned :smoke: All I meant was I don't conform to a standard belief. I do however think for myself and I do form opinions, beliefs, and ideas.

I have too many crazy thoughts that I couldn't even begin to share. :D I think too much about life and the crazy things in this universe. Tragically that's about all I think about. :smoke:

3. At least you're not concerned about the new episode of Jersey Shore ;)

4. suffering is caused by attachment

5. I believe pain and suffering exist because without it them, we wouldn't have to work for our happiness. Without pain and suffering life would have no meaning, and we couldn't enjoy the good times if we feel as though we haven't earned them.

As far as religion goes; I'm still trying to figure out where I stand.

6. I dunno...

But "pain" and "suffering" are both (without at doubt) certainly and totally subjective, based on the individual - their feelings (and their experiences).

I'd suppose you'd have to understand each individual, and their past and their feelings, before totally understanding what "pain" and "suffering" means...

I believe in what Arnack says to some degree, about attachment.

But I dunno, I dun take too much stock in psychology anyways.

7. Human nature isn't pefect

8. What are you trying to do here?

9. In the case of rape, what would the victim be attached to? The experience, maybe?
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Correct. But how does this answer my question?

10. I ment the specific bolded part. I understand what your trying to do in the thread.

I just found it odd that you listed cosmology and atheism next to Islam and spirituality.

All 4 of them are tottaly different things.

11. the rapist was attached to sex. granted, it wasn't the victim's fault whatsoever, yet the suffering came from attachment regardless

12. I can agree with that.
    Now, why do they exist? Because attachment exists? Well, why does that exist?
    I understand your view completely, but I want to hear more from YOU and not my own reasoning. :)

13. in this situation, i believe buddhism explains it best:

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

14. Ahh, the 4 noble truths. Duhhka, correct?

I've been researching Buddhism lately, so no further questions needed. Thank you

15. if you're trying to study buddhism, go into it with a complete open mind and without any exterior limitations. you will get more out of it.

16. I will take the advice into consideration.

17. Because everything is this world, EVERYTHING, is interconnected and balanced. Without pain and suffering, there would be no ecstacy and joy. It's the yin and yang.

In this life we are meant to experience all facets of our existence, until we move onto the next, in which we will most likely be at peace with the universe. As of now, experiencing all of this has it's purpose whether you know it or not.

18. thats what i was gonna say;):smoke:

ok maybe not in those words...but that sums it up nicely.....

how can we really truly know happiness or joy without suffering and pain to compare them too.....?

19. I have no idea why, but I read the title as Palin and suffering. Now I'm disappointed.

20. I should edit the OP again. :eek:

I really just want people to include their world-views to see what each have to offer.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

Haha, sorry buddy