Oyster Shell Flour

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WeefNugginelli, Sep 10, 2017.

1. I have read oyster shells are a good ammendment to help balance PH in soil. I am thinking of ordering oyster Shell flower to top dress my plants going into flower tmrw.. my question is tho how long before it starts working in balancing ph?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Might be hard to get a single answer. It depends on a number of factors, one of the biggest is the how fine they are ground.

Are you looking for a quick fix to a diagnosed PH problem?

• Like Like x 1
  3. They are a long term usage amendment. I wouldn't count on it instantly balancing PH. It will take some time to be broken down, even the powder. Dolomite lime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah I mean it seems my PH keeps dipping, I too dressed with dolomite lime and flushed all of my 5 gallon pots with 15 gal of 6.5 ph water and they stayed there for about a week.. I just ph'd soil in one of my plants and it was at 6.1 today...

5. Dolomite Lime for a quicker PH buffer. But as for a flowering top dress, if you are using a living soil, it balances itself. While flowering, cannabis prefers a slightly acidic soil. So adding a PH buffer is not always best if using a living soil u less you have a serious issue with PH imbalance. This can happen if your soil was not "cooked", given time to break down amendments and build micro-life, before using.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. How much dolomite lime per gallon? And how often to reapply? - every couple of weeks or so?..

7. Anything below 6 is too low. Below 4 and heavy metals begin leaching in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. They went down to like 5.9 so I flushed them after too dressing with dolomite lime with 6.5 PH water, now it seems to be dropping again, what would you suggest I do?

9. 2Tbl/gallon of mix, or, 1cup/cf of mix. Applied ONCE/grow and best added when constructing the mix, but a top dressing will work but takes longer. Takes a couple of weeks at least when added to the mix and that's the "fast" way.

pHing the water does not do diddly squat to soil pH. The soil pH WILL affect the water and bring it to match the soil's pH.

IOW, use lime from the get go in your next mix, or when you recycle this one. Just need to do it once/grow in most cases.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thanks for the advice, I learned my lesson and will make sure it's added before planting next time

11. I don't use it but I think 1 tbs per gal once a week is an ok application. But just re-read your post and if you recently flushed did you top dress the DL after or before? Why were you flushing?

• Like Like x 1

12. I was flushing to remove a nutrient build up and hoping it would help elevate my PH, yes I did top dress somewhat with dolomite lime but it doesn't seem to be doing much I hope I didn't knock it out or something during flush

13. Yea may have lost some with the flush.

14. So are you saying if I'm growing in a 10 gallon pot then I should add 10 tablespoons of dolomite lime as a topdress every week?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. No I was saying that I don't use it but from what I know I think 1 tbs per gallon of water once a week would be ok. He said he already top dressed with it

16. Or once as a top dress only

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. What is your opinion el rancho deluxe??

18. Your question seemed loaded......

19. no that's absolutely not how you use lime. not to be a dick but if you dont know its better to not guess.
    further more, someone just answered above you, im going to assume you haven't even read the replies.

• Agree Agree x 1