Oxygen

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AresKenux, Mar 28, 2011.

1. So I was thinking about something, someone here said. Correct if im wrong, but it's something along the lines of, how the lack of oxygen causes hallucinations, and surplus of it, causes euphoria.

So I was wondering, personal theories in mind, that if one was inhaling oxygen from a oxygen tank, he would be cured of his hallucinations for the time being. And that would be a method of curing schizophrenia somewhat. What do you guys think of this?

2. Schizophrenia isn't caused by a lack of oxygen so I don't know that it would help much.

3. My personal theory was....

That because scizophrenia, is splitation of the mind. There must be some glue that can put it back together. Why not oxygen? Oxygen in excess causes euphoria, maybe the right dosages of it, occasionally, might help. Oxygen, is gas right? Air. In holy books, the spirit is often compared to air. The spirit is healing, therefore, I think oxygen could help, heal the mind. And bring peace, and an end to restlessness.

4. I understand why you think what you do, but schizophrenia is the result of excess dopamine. If the delusions and hallucinations are a result of the dopamine and not a lack of oxygen then I don't think giving them oxygen would do much to alleviate their symptoms.

5. Schizophrenia is a creation by man none other than the hugest megalomanic that ever lived Sigmund Freud (lol last name a sort of coincidence? :laughing:)
    so therefore that theory is flawed from the start. Of course this may also be my opinion

I like to think what the ancients thought they were inhaling before the "discovery" of oxygen :p

6. Schizophrenia is not a creation of Freud. He did have theories regarding schizophrenia, but they were bullshit like much of his psychoanalytical theories regarding the human mind. He thought it was a disturbance of the unconscious caused by unresolved feelings of homosexuality.

It bothers me that you would spread misinformation in such a way.

7. Takes one to be misinformed, to misinform.

8. It seems like this is supposed to be some sort of dig at me.

9. Lets end this now. Like I said it may also be my opinion, I never claimed it as fact. We are all rational critical thinking human beings, lets keep it this way and ignore any beefs. Rather lets have a barbecue :D

What would Hank Hill do?
    [​IMG]

10. Na man, I'm saying this is inherent in all of us, we speak the truth from our hearts, which isnt the same for all. I respect you as a brother. And what I said, was the passing, of a proverb that I heard from my grandfather. If we misinform, it might have been an accident, because we were misinformed. Sorry if I seemed like I was insulting you.

11. Ahh my mistake. I understand what you were to saying now. My apologies.

12. look into schizophrenic and shamanism, I think you'll like what you find. here's some terrence mckenna to start you off,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEglHjd_gUQ]YouTube - Terence Mckenna - Schizophrenic or Shamanic?[/ame]

13. It's a little bit more complex than that... "schizophrenia" is a blanket term used to describe at least ten different metabolic disorders of the brain - and it's not so much that the levels of ONE neurotransmitter are low, because the ratio between all neurotransmitters matters more. You would find instances of serotonin depletion in certain cortices of the brain that are responsible for communicating anything from feelings of happiness, to the visual construction of reality, while in other areas you might find dopamine depletion, or in regions such as the hypothalamus you might find a lack of anandamide... it's all related to neurochemical transmission; and ultimately, it is one giant process, so one gear out of place will affect the turning of many others.

14. Legally, I'm sure a ton of us here that are aware of what reality really is would be deemed schizophrenic. As far as the Sigmund Freud thing, I can see reasoning to that, but I feel it should be easy for the individual to tell they're sexuality, and that those unresolved feelings are just in their mind. Anxiety is some nasty shit.