Oxygen running out?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by KKing, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Just got this crazy idea about what if the worlds oxygen supply ran out? Wtf would happen?

2. Plants would have a have a hay day.

3. Pretty much everything on earth would die except for viruses and other bacteria that dont require oxygen to live. Plants, I don't think they need oxygen to live but the earth would probably be covered in a more flammable gas and the plants would probably all burn.

But all animals would die. Ever mammal, fish, whatever needs oxygen.

I don't really know though, this is my guess.

4. Uhhhh....we would die :confused: lol

5. #5 IgnorantFool, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
    Yes they do...in the absence of light, plants no longer perform photosynthesis, they perform respiration like we do...in the dark, plants take in oxygen and give off CO2...they only take in CO2 and give off oxygen when there is sufficient light hitting their leaves...;)

6. So grow more pot, and protect all animal life! lol

Granny

7. Spaceballs?

8. uhhuh
    [​IMG]

9. are we talking o2, or oxygen as an element... the latter would be fucking terrible

think if the element was erased from earth...co2, o2, water, and an extremely long list of other shit would cease to exist

10. so true...but don't go getting ideas kiddies...even lack of life on earth and total extinction of the human race won't rid you of those Federally guaranteed student loans...

11. can't....breathe.....

12. I hope you realize how impossible it is for our planet to run out of oxygen without anyone noticing. Ecologically, at every level of the food chain, biomass supplies decrease by a factor of 10 or more, i.e. there are 10 times as many plants on earth as primary consumers (herbivores, bugs, etc.), 10 times as many herbivores as carnivores, 10 times as many carnivores as tertiary consumers, etc. Therefore it is basically impossible for the world to run out of oxygen, since there are so many trees on this planet contributing every day to photosynthetic production of mass amounts of oxygen that they dwarf the amount of oxygen that can be consumed by anything else that is alive combined.

Unless of course we seriously depleted the world's forests to a degree that there is literally more people mass than tree mass. Then everything would die since we would be trying to turn the ecological transfer of energy on its ahead, which is about as smart as trying to chop your legs off and still stand up. But that process would never happen suddenly; only gradually, just like overpopulation and all of the rest of the world's problems.

13. id live in a hydroponic room hooked up to a lifetime supply of oxygen tanks and live off miricle grow.. or die

14. That shit could happen one day. Like back in the days of dinosaurs thats why everything was huge because there was more oxygen. Think about it the population keeps going up and up and i'm sure trees and plants are decreases.