Overly Bushy Plant, WTF, Cousin It

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cnote, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I grew a nice big super lemon haze, about 5ft tall outdoors this summer.

I kept it alive and put it back under 24/0 under CFL after harvest about a month ago.

It's now the most densely bushy plant I've ever seen, literally a ball of small leaves, new growth shooting out everywhere. It looks like a topiary ball, so many tiny offshoots and nodes everywhere, so thick and dense, like a juniper.

The bush is so thick and there are no big fan leaves, only newer/medium size leave growth, going berzerk.

Questions are a) is this normal? b) is it good? c) should I do anything?

I'm used to growing from seed and having perfect, symmetrical and tall plants. This thing, and it's clones are all over the place, growing like crazy but no symmetry and no space between nodes.

Advantages and disadvantages of super-bushy plants with no space between nodes?

Thanks

2. It's all good.

Are you used to growing outdoors?

Tall is good outdoors, bushy is good indoors.

If you have those lights right up against the plants then you should get short distances between nodes. This is good because it will lead to denser buds.

Good luck.

3. Thanks, that is helpful. Yes, used to outdoors and yes, CFLs are just inches from the leaves.

Is there any logic to thinning the plant out? I can't see how the inner leaves are going to survive as it's literally a cave in there since the leaves are just piling on top of each other.

But if there is no benefit to having some spacing inside the plant, I'm gonna let her be.

Also a question on your "tall is good outdoors"...one thing I had planned for my next outdoor grow is to top it aggressively. This year my plants kicked ass but I didn't top them or lst at all, and, were huge, but they had these enormous main colas, and I've read that you get better results with 5-10 peer mid size colas than letting the 1 main develop. What's your take on that?

4. When you moved your lady back indoors did you cut off all calyx/bud formations and everything?