Overfeeding in Mid Flower Coco Coir

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by SomeAnonymousDude, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Hello all,

this is my first time posting in a while and I am back with a new grow. I am using Canna Coco A & B and other canna nutes.

I at the end of week 6 of flower, and my plants are a very dark green, and after looking at the feed schedule i realized I overfed: 4ml/L Coco A&B instead of the max of 3.5 according to Canna.
    I fed this amount for a little over a week, around every 2-3 days at around 1100 PPM.

I don't feed to runoff as it's a pain to remove water from the runoff trays especially with 16 plants in a 4x4, and hasn't ever been an issue for me.
    The buds are smelling a lot like chlorophyll and chemically..
    I've already tried lowering A&B nutes to 2.5ml/L but it's not doing much..

Should i lower the nutes even more?
    Maybe to 1ml?
    Or just flush for a few feedings with pure water?
    Or keep other nutes like Canna Boost and just remove A&B for a while?
    I am looking for the best way of keeping good yields whilst having good smell and taste.

I know there is probably a post on this somewhere but I only found things relating to pre harvest flushing..
    Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. they look hungry for light to me thats exactly how my lower stuff that doesnt get light looks all dark and waxy What light are you running?

3. #3 GroBuddy, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Looks healthy to me if there was an issue you would have burned tips indicating nutrient burn or if the dark green was an issue your leaf tips would be clawing indicating nitrogen toxicity. Look into pot elevators keeps pots raised out of runoff

I did see the one bad leaf with a burned tip, you can't judge the overall health of a plant off one or two leaves. I only treat if issue spreads

If you read you over fed I'd just start feeding normal maybe do half strength a time or 2 let it catch up then resume with the directions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I am running quantum board LEDs by horticulture lighting group (HLG) which output 600 watts (from wall) in my 4x4 and 300 watts in my 3x3, respectively. I don't think it's the lights; I've had very good yields in the past. Thanks for your comment though!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah other than the dark leaves there aren't any signs of nitrogen toxicity.. It's just the smell which is really off putting, it used to smell so good, and I thought overfeeding might have something to do with it.. Thanks for your comment!

• Like Like x 2
  6. i am in week six also my fan leaves are starting to fade off and i never really get that good smell until harvest

• Like Like x 1
  7. Are you using their guide? CANNA Grow Guide | A personalized Feeding Chart | CANNA
    Canna Coco is just a high Nitrogen fertilizer it's ratios pretty much fly in face of every other line that is marketed to us for these plants. But I can't argue with the results Canna nutrients deliver. So what I do when the dark green seems unnaturally dark I back off my A+B and use the PK 13/14 to reach my target EC value. Which I have never needed more than ec 1.9 and probably didn't need that much.
    Your not watering to runoff is going to be an issue that imo should be considered. One hidden aspect is that by mid way your ph in the rootzone will be very low, the plants will soldier on but will not live up to their potential. I would consider at least pulling them out a few times through the cycle flushing them with a large amount of solution or I use my 250ppm tap water ph 7.4 and it helps to correct the acidity at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Second this. There are fertigation strategies that use less or even no runoff, at times or even for the whole duration of the grow. But, FWIW, I super highly recommend water to runoff in coco, every single watering, unless you are doing advanced fertigation techniques.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah it is probably a good step to take maximize the setups potential, I probably need one of those big trays for the whole tent where it can run off into. Otherwise I don't know how to efficiently handle runoff with 16 plants in a 4x4 without spending an extra hour or two on the plants every watering..

Maybe some kind of industrial vacuum would also be a solution..

10. One way to do it is to get those 1x2 trays. They cost about 3 bucks each at a hydro shop. I run a 4x4 and use 8 of them.
    The trays sit at least a few inches off the ground. The runoff drains out the hole and in to containers. Those containers are anything I can find, from tupperware to used cottage cheese containers. Part that sucks is that I am manually dumping the water from those containers. Would be better to pump it out. But with a perpetual, there is literally never a whole week where at least one plant gets moved. I lot of folks do the wet vac thing.
    Will try to get a pic later when the lights come on.
    I run a high plant/sq1 ft count, with up 4 plants per square foot some strains. Think the highest plant count was probably around 30 so far. Watering them takes about 12-15 minutes, not too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  11. If I were to do a crowded grow like that I’d want a strain that wasn’t very bushy. Chronic has very lil leaves.
    80F08B1C-0D7E-4226-8EA1-7C0CF03AF451.jpeg

12. Just way too many plants, suffocating there selfs for fresh air, I’d put 3 or 4 plants in next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. To many plants is relative. Defoliate, plenty of fans and problems mentioned above are solved. Dark green leaves would be a build up in P. No damage on leaves so you don't really have a problem. If you are uncomfortable with what you are seeing. Flush them water. I try to use flush with the same number of gallons of water as your container holds. ie.... a 3 gallon container would get flushed with 3 gal. of water. I have 34 plants in a 6' x 6' grow area. I have been growing in Coco for about 6 years and I started growing in the mid 1980s.

Check out my grow journal to see pics of my flower area.