Overcoming Shyness?

Discussion in 'General' started by tableauxvivants, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Hi people. I have a problem. I'm way too fucking shy. I think that it might be a result of minor depression due to some hardships I've been facing lately, but it's making me even more miserable. About 7 months ago I got kicked out of my Dad's house and forced to move in with my Mom who lives in WV. I moved here from the North, so as you might imagine, the people are extremely different here. I have a few friends that I hang out with, but I wouldn't say that I'm close to any of them. I also have a job, thus am required to interact with co-workers. The thing is that I just feel really out of place here, and it makes me extremely socially awkward. I feel more self conscious then I can ever remember feeling in my life.

In the past, smoking a blunt has put me in the mood to strike up a conversation with someone I might barely know, but I don't know anyone who smokes or smokes as often as I do. I'd like to have the same confidence to be myself when I'm completely sober.

Any advice on how I can put myself out there and start having fun again??

2. start hanging out with girls
    start drinking beer

profit

3. You might have social anxiety disorder, I think it can develop from depression.

4. I have the same problem. Im just too silent around people.

Even when i know the people. I used to hang out with my best friends, and sit in the circle but never fuckin talk. I dunno.

But weed never made it better, alcohol yeah, everyone knew i talked more than usual drunk. But when i got all baked, it just made it worse, id get kinda paranoid feeling. I couldnt talk if i wanted to, id realize how weird im being all quiet, but no matter how much i wanna just be normal and talk, i just cant.

I dunno though im not ALWAYS like that, like if its just me and one other friend, or just a few, and it depends on my mood. I dunno its confusing.

5. PROTIP:

Smoke bowls before seeing public ;much like women and makeup.

6. I think I used to be really shy. Until I figured, I may as well be myself around people. If you act like everyone's a good friend, then it's all good, cause you'll be yourself - I know it's hard to be yourself around new people, but the important thing is to try. Coz then, if you show who you really are...then they'll either like you or not like you. If they don't like you for who you are, fuck em, who needs em. If they do like you, then you got a new friend. I'm not sure I'm explaining it right, but just try to be yourself and act like everyone's a friend. yeah it's hard at first, but you get used to it

7. #7 Elem3nt17, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
    Everyone deals with shyness at one time or another, its a natural thing. Just don't let it get out of hand. Just be yourself, if someone wants to judge you for that, good for them, they are probably douche bag's anyways. People who matter will appreciatte you more, merely because you act like yourself and do things with confidence and pride.

And you have no control over the bad things that happen in your life, but you do control how you deal with them.

8. your from mass and you moved to west virginia?
    in all honesty i'd sya the best way to solve your problem is to move home man get back here its straightttt up north

9. yea i used to be really shy always. Now im only shy with new people. With people i know, even slightly im far from shy. I just realized that you shouldnt give a shit about what other people think. Acting confident is the most important thing. People can tell when your not confident and that turns them off. I know it sounds cliche as fuck but if believe your confident so will everyone else.