Overall help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lvteejay, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Right now im in the process of growing my first plant. I am vegging right now with 4 60W CFL bulbs 24/0 due to the fact I cant afford a metal hilade light just yet. I just purchased this http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=53025 for the flowering stage which I was told will work well with the single plant i'm growing. Here are a few pictures, what I want are opinions on how my plant looks and things I should and should not be doing.

ps. Sorry if the pictures arent good, camera phone = \

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. You need to get the lights closer to the plant. Your table lamps are waaaaaaay too far away which is why your plant is growing spindly stretching for the light. CFL bulbs should be no more than a couple of inches from your plant. GL!

3. the most amount of light from CFL's is radiated out the sides of the bulbs.

Turn the CFL's so they are parallel to the floor and move them closer.

They look great otherwise.

Don't overwater and check your ph.

You'll be fine

4. I've never checked my pH level, what does that consist of?

5. #5 evilhoodlem, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    The general problem is the light wasnt close or directed toward the plant. If i were were you i would chop off all the bottom stems. Then fill your bucket with more soil. This will make your plant "taller" already, and would be closer to the lights.

also you need a fan, This mimics the wind. this is why the plants are so big and strong.

then you Start to LST the plant. OHHH it would be like a make over. make OZs!

Evil :smoke:

6. don't use aluminium foil it creates hot spots go and grab some mylar instead for like a few bucks :D

7. ph is the way we check to make sure everything is in balance. Not too acidic and not too alkaline. It is the way we find the sweet spot for the plant to best thrive.

If your ph is too high, bad shit happens and also if your ph is too low, different bad shit will happen.

Best way to prevent bad shit from happening is to invest the $30 for a ph 'pen' (tester).

Can you grow without checking your ph? Yes, I've seen it done.

How hard is it to grow without knowing or checking your ph? pretty damn difficult.

Here's where I get my ph pens, TDS meters and such.

$29 - HANNA HI 98103 pH Tester + Free Buffer + Free S/H!

Don't forget to order some ph 7.01 and also 4.01 calibration solution.

8. So i need the thing to tell me my ph level, and a product to raise and lower it?

9. Exactly. You mix the ph adjuster with the water before you water the plant. Also like others said, get that foil out of there and those bulbs closer. I'd recommend getting a socket and parabolic reflector for each bulb from walmart for like $9 each. It will essentially double the amount of light being directed at your plant.

10. Ok so mylar, bulb reflectors and a ph tester. Can I grab one of these at walmart or home depot?

11. #12 lvteejay, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    I don't know if this will work but I have a jacoozie in my house which we use small strips that are dipped into the water and tell u if the ph needs to be lowered or raised. Just comes in a bottle and looks like salt. Other than that I wouldn't know where to find this stuff. HELP THE ROOKIE

will this work to check it?

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=SSPT500&AC=1

12. I'm gunna go ahead and pick up a ph tester. if someone can send some links for the tester, and the product i need to lower and raise the ph that would be sweet. I don't really know what im looking for. :eek:

13. You can get ph pens in lots of places. Aquarium and hydro stores generally have them. Online is the best place if you are concerned about $$$.

In addition to the ph pen, you will need some ph up and ph down. I use vinegar for ph down but still stay with ph up because it holds the buffer longer than borax, baking soda etc.

Lastly, you will need some calibration solution (used to make sure your ph pen is giving you correct readings).

I would say the ph pen $30, ph up $5, calibration solution - 7 and 4 - $8 each. So. $50 and you are good to go.

90% of all problems are ph related.

14. Yeah, the ph up. I pay like $8 for the same size bottle. I've tried all the other stuff, borax, baking soda but nothing holds the buffer like ph up. Plain white vinegar works really well for me to move the ph down. Not to sound redundant but ph is 90% of the battle. If you can keep your ph under control, everything else is pretty much like watching grass grow.

15. Ok I ordered the ph up the ph down and calibration solution that I don't exactly know what to do with. How do I go about testing the water, what is the ph supposed to equal so on and so forth. Thx for all the help.

16. I can't find the pdf file which gives detailed instructions on how to calibrate but I did find the post I did - on another site, sorry if I offend - which does a great job on explaining calibration procedures.

pH and EC Meters - Tools for Substrate Analysis

Hope this helps.

17. When you get the ph pen the first thing you are going to do is verify that it is in calibration.

Here is how I do it. (I am assuming that your ph pen has a 4/10 ph adjustment and also a 7ph adjustment).

We always start with ph 7.01 and then go to ph 4.01

First get the ph7.01 to temperature - ±78F (Because ph will rise as the temperature goes down). At room temperature ±70F, ph7.01 is actually 7.03. Keep that in mind.

Then place the ph pen into the solution and let it stay there for at least 2 minutes....if at the end of 2 minutes it reads 7.01~7.03 you are more than likely good to go. If the reading is not 7.01 then slowly adjust the trimmer until it reads 7.01.

We need to confirm that we are really good to go. Soooo.

We now take the ph pen out of the 7.01 solution and rinse it under tap water for 30 seconds or so.

Wipe the ph pen off to remove whatever moisture is on it. DO NOT TAP THE PH PEN AGAINST ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE MOISTURE BECAUSE THAT WILL GENERALLY CRACK THE TUBE.

Once you have rinsed and dried the ph pen...put it into the ph 4.01, let it sit there until the display stabilizes (keep in mind the temperature thing) and see what the reading is. If it is like ±4.01, great.

Rinse the probe again, dry and put it into the ph7.01 solution to verify you get the desired reading. If not, adjust until it reads correctly.

Repeat the above steps until you have a reading of 7.01 and 4.01 respectively.

For those technically inclined here is a report from North Carolina State Univ on this subject.

Stay in touch. :wave:

Attached Files: