Over watering or under watering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 17, 2012.

1. #1 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
    Okay so here's a few pic's of the seeds that sprouted. These sprouted about a day and a half or 2 day's ago, and while the one or two appear to be doing okay, the other 3 don't appear to be doing as well.

I'm wondering if i'm over watering or under watering them? I water when I stick my finger in the soil and it's dry to about the middle of my index finger, but still a little damp at the bottom. When I water it's about an ounce for the styrofoam cups, and 3 ounces or so for the bigger pot (One 4", and one 6" I believe), until there is very little run off coming out the drainage holes. Any suggestions for what I should be doing? The lights are about 2-3 inches away (2x 24W CFL's, 4x 13W CFL's, and 1 24W T5 thats about 8-12 inches away as I can't find a spot to put it). The soil is also pretty compact so when I transplant I am going to mix perlite in with the soil. What Ratio should I use?

Also, the temperature runs from about 75-80 at night and 78-82 during the day (Been checking my Max/Min on my thermometer) But no matter what I do I can't raise the humidity. I had 5 glasses of water in there, with a couple on a heating pad, and this didn't raise it at all.

Edit; The last 4 pictures are just after watering them. The first one I just misted about an hour before because he was pretty dry but I watered him this morning.

Attached Files:

2. To me it looks good but I just started growing my self.

3. #4 dopeshow, Nov 17, 2012
    Definitely overdoing it with water, but it's just a couple of days in so no harm done. Pot likes it a little dry, so leave them alone for the next couple of days before watering again. Remember this acronym - LIFTA, as in Leave It The Fuck Alone, and they'll do well for you.

You can't really overdo it with perlite either as it's totally inert. 25-30% by volume will give you a nice light mix.

Also, you have the lights at the right distance for mature plants but they may be a little close for seedlings. Keep an eye on it and maybe move them back if they look to be struggling. I've never grown with CFLs so I can't be sure.

4. You are tripping me out man. Calm down.

First of all, your watering habits are wrong. Not sure where you learned them from but I'll set you straight. Water by the weight of the container. Cannabis roots benefit from a healthy cycle of wet to dry and wet again. You are babying these plants and over watering them. Over watering is watering too frequently, not with too much. So lift the container every day, it should take 3-4 days before it becomes noticeably light, and that's when you saturate to the point of runoff.

Drug stores sell humidifiers for kids bedrooms and the like for $10-$25 depending on the brand. These will help bring the levels up much more than standing water.

Turn off the T5 for the time and use just the CFLs. The 24w variety should be within 2" and the 13w variety within 1". Your plants are going to continue to stretch without getting the lights closer.

Remove the shell for the plant in the last photograph.

5. #6 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 17, 2012

The one that's still on the seedling, or in the soil? As for the T5 I moved it to this position for now, as the CFL's aren't all that strong. Why do you say take it down? (It's 6500k, for veg)

And yeah I was pretty sure I was over watering. I'll give the LITFA method a try :p

Also got a pic to show how close the lights are.

Attached Files: