Over watered? Time to transplant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Thrash_Vibes, Jan 24, 2021.

1. All the drainage in the world isn't going to help a plant that's just watered too frequently. Lesson I learned the hard way. Even with a lighter soil, and plenty of drainage, watering my plants every damn day was terrible for them. Such a common beginner mistake. I'm still guilty of it from time to time, at least now I'm able to recognize it before it gets too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Visit a hydroponic store or your local nursery and buy some real planting cups.
    Solo cops make piss poor planters being to tall and way to narrow a base. Leave yours for now as you'll do more damage then good.

[​IMG]

Let the plant fill the cup with roots before attempting to transplant. Cannabis really hates to have its roots fucked with. The more you disturb it's roots the greater the transplant shock will be.
    Square pots promote better root branching IME.

Water after lifting the plant. Feather light? water it. Still heavy set it back down and do NOT water it.

Big plants in small pots dry fast and need watered often and can be fed at that same time.
    Small plants in big pots take forever to dry out and grow slow as a result.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  3. ^This guy grows the goods. Getting a grasp on the wet and dry weight is a great way to gauge how your plant is drinking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You should pick up a $20 PH kit asap. They are so easy to use and vital for growing. I actually bought a kit that came with PH up & down, test indicator, dropper, and tube. But also picked up a $20 digital PH meter. With the test kit I though I was at 6.5 cause the color looked right, got the digital pen, and it was 6.8, my tap water is around 7.8. 1ML of PH down in a gallon will bring it down 1 point. So I was definitely off. Proper PH is important for the plant to absorb nutrients. You can also get nute lockout. Which will stunt growth. Just hit amazon bro and get the General Hydroponics kit and pen. The digital pen even comes already calibrated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. I will dothis immediately. These are the things i dont know about. I want to be successful with this. Again thank you

• Like Like x 1
  6. You have to understand the root development to have good success during the seedling stage. Doesn't matter the starting container.

I prefer to start in half solo cups for quick root development. These seedlings are 9 days above soil. I typically use a seed starter mix but I was out and actually started these straight in fox farm ocean forest.

During the seedling stage you need to dial in the root zone temperature for best germination and growth. The addition of the heating mat under my seedlings have changed the game for me even with RH in the 20s and 30s.

Also the clear cups are no good like stated. Just cover with a colored cup.

Your mix is lacking aeration which has led to over watering. Lack of aeration and to frequent of waterings lead to over watered plants.

I added 30% perlite to my fox farm soil thay already comes with perlite to help prevent over watering. Even after additional aeration you should only be misting the top of the soil for the fist 2 weeks or so. I've yet to water these to runoff in 9 days. Only misting the top layer of soil.

I like to fully saturate my starting container and get a good idea of the weight. For me, I fully saturate half a solo cup of soil. Get an idea of the weight. Then my goal for the first 2 weeks of the seedling stage is to not saturate the medium more than about %50. I'll try and keep it feeling about 15-50% saturated. Promoting the roots to get out and search for water, which leads to roots filling the container faster, which leads to vegetative growth faster.

Screenshot_20210124-184640_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. No problem man, good luck on your future grows. And when you do pick up a kit, the proper PH for soil is 6.2-6.5 PH. Which is slightly acidic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey Ignisol what kind of water are you on? Like community treated tap water? Or well water. I know tap water in my area can have really high PH, and really high PPM, and be almost un-usable for growing.

9. I live in an apartment complex, so guessing it's city water? It's hard water for sure, leaves white stains on dishes. Checked with the digi pen and water from the tap is 7.8 PH. Also, I'm not sure what PPM is..can you explain?

10. Wow posting this has given me so much information that i never knew and i love it. Thank you. Im understanding all that im doing wrong. There is so much i dont know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. What is a suggestion to fix the problem of getting air to the roots to these plants i have now? Im afraid to fuck with it and kill them. Im understanding what i should of done and what to do with my next seedlings. For now im gonna cover the roots up from light cut more holes and water less. Im gonna germinate more this week and get a heating pad and the soil mix with the other mix and grab a ph kit and digi one too. This is alot of info for me and way more then expected. I had no clue id even get a response

• Like Like x 1