Over/under watered?!?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jeb420, Jun 5, 2016.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It seems Ike the first true leaves in every one of my young plants seem to be twisting... A couple of them seem under watered, or maybe over watered. The soil is damp but NOT wet. Let me know, really want to catch this early and being my first grow, not sure what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. This looks more like a heat problem, or maybe a little overwatered. What are your temps and humidity?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Gotcha, my temp is 76.4-78ish while running with humidity of 55%. Drops to 68/45 when the set up is not running. [​IMG]

Maybe my lights are too close?! I have a 400watt MH on 18/6 right now and here is how close it is to my plants, maybe I have a distance issue.
    [​IMG]

4. Helpful tip for watering, fill one of those empty red cups a little less than how much soil is in each pot, if you have good drainage water them until you see a small amount of water drain from the bottom. I only water when I see the leaves droop a little

5. Cool, I appreciate the info. This watering thing has me all messed up.

I've literally grown nothing in my life LOL so getting the watering schedule down is a must. I'm transferring to 5gal geopots once these guys get established. I've been PHing right around 6.0-6.3 but haven't tested run off just before I feed.

Maybe I'm over reacting, this is my bagseed grow. I want to have a better idea when my greenhouse SLH and WW arrive for my next grow.

6. Just tested runoff... It's sitting at 6.7 out of FFOF soil

7. Decided to make the decision that they were under watered. After doing some reading I'd say the first inch of soil was dry so I gave them all a nice watering using your method of amount of soil=amount of water until runoff.

I'll let you know how it goes! Hopefully mistakes weren't just made.

Water going in- 6.0-6.3
    Runoff-6.4-6.7

8. Testing runoff of soil will get you nowhere fast. As the assorted items in soil break down pH will show wide swings. Soil pH, and especially an "organic" soil is dynamic, which means it is constantly changing. As long as the pH of your input is close in soil you'll be just fine.

Can you imagine the work involved if large greenhouses and farmers decided it was important to check and adjust the pH of their water each time they wet stuff down or God forbid checking and trying to adjust runoff?

The ONLY time it would be beneficial to check runoff would be in a true hydroponic garden growing in an inert medium.

J

9. GreaT point Jerry. Like I said... I'm a newbie, I'm glad you saved me from wasting more time!

I honestly think that I'm over thinking this whole process, I'm sure it's easy to get over reactive throughout a first grow. Hopefully my wavy/wilting leaves are a result of under watering. I've been using a small spray bottle this entire time, today is the first real day I have given the young plants a full watering where I could see a 20% runoff afterwards. They sprouted 5/23 so it's been about 2 weeks of just a spray bottle.

I'm hoping this fixes my issue, any other suggestions you may have? I'm going to start using technaflora recipe for success in a few weeks here, I heard FFOF is hot for the first 3-4 weeks and to stay away from more nutrients.

10. The problem also may be the light, if it gives off good amounts of heat it could dry the soil more quickly, I'm using FFOF as well in a smart pot under t5s and I still have to water more than I used to. My first grow I harvested 2 oz from one plant in a 3 gallon smart pot, straight t5 lighting, so if those start to pick up and get healthy you should be in for a good harvest

11. I was thinking the same thing, I have my light vented, but the plants are young and it may still be too much. I just readjusted my light and took it from 16-24" off the top of the plants.

Id be MORE than happy with 2oz per plant for my first run. I'm sure 1/2 of these or so will be male, I'm hoping to get 5 females. I'm waiting on super lemon haze, white widow, jack flash 5 and Aphrodite (this one was free) feminized too arrive from the vault. I'm hoping to get the basics down with this run so I don't ruin expensive genetics next time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You definitely won't need any nutrients for at least several weeks and more likely 3-4 weeks.

Try and fix the watering like you are and if you're still seeing some funkiness report back.

J

13. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's my setup, I don't even have a tent or anything, just a blanket, fan, thermometer, ph test kit, dynagro bloom/foliage pro and I should still pull about 2 off of this auto ak

14. I'll definitely be back with an update in a few days, thanks for the pointers!

15. Dude that looks like it's going to be some tasty nug. You obviously started with a better strain than I did, but hopefully I can come up with something halfway decent too.

I got my whole setup as a kit from worms way, seems to be pretty legit so far. Right around 600 bucks for everything. After that I've invested in a clip on oscillating fan and a PH tester. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think they look pretty good. With some signs of slight over watering you are still off to a great start. And a little fertilizer will not hurt anything. Once the roots reach the bottom of the cup, which it looks like maybe very soon, transplant them into a larger pot like a 1 gallon. FFOF is fine for a safe soil. pH is stable so don't worry about that. Just get a complete fertilizer and I bet those babies grow and inch over night. 1. Larger pot. 2. add worm castings. 3. fertilize. 4. let the fun begin!

PS worrying about watering is normal. the more panic it gives you, the better farmer you will turn out to be

17. PS, I live in California and work for a huge grow supply store, and all the way across the country I am familiar with Worms Way. They are good people and have my fill endorsement.

18. Thanks! That's reassuring. Some of the plants roots have reached the bottom of the cups, I will transplant them up sometime this week.

I was going to move right from these to their final pots, but I think one transplant in the middle is best to save space because I don't have the room to accommodate a 5gal for each plant.

How is the technaflora recipe for success kit? It came with my set up when I bought everything so I'd like to use it. But if it's garbage, I'll grab something new!

19. They've been nothing short of awesome during my purchase, answered all questions promptly and even had great advice on how to maximize the space in my tent.

I'll definitely use them in the future, I plan on getting a tent strictly for veg so I can continuously grow when I get better at this.

20. I am familiar with the thrive alive products. We sell those at our store, but I have never used the rest of their line. Honestly all of the hydroponic kits are all the same and are great to start thing off. Try by reading Teaming With Nutrients and Teaming With Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels, these are great books for understanding your plant and the soil biology. I am sure the Technaflora products will be great though, it looks like a complete line.

• Like Like x 1