over or under WATERING please help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by syruponthepan, Oct 22, 2009.

1. i have a 400w hps, two little plants. there only 6" tall, and are in very small pots. temp is around 85, with humidity at 30%. there on a 18on and 6 off light cycle. one plant is looking very droopy, and the other is starting. I watered them a minuscule amount yesterday with a spray bottle. I have been reading the forum about watering and underwatering. I checked to soil and the top is very dry and crusty. i pulled them out of the pots and realised the soil is dry with a little bit of moisture. not much!. I need help in this matter and am willing to answer any questions! I have my laptop nexto my grow box and will be waiting for your replies. thanks for helping me!

Attached Files:

2. thanks for the reply, you think it's overwatering... i havn't watered them much and the soil is really dry and crusty up top. below it's pretty dry with very minimal moisture.. and that's towards the center

3. First youre probably going to want to transplant that one sucka into a bigger pot so the roots can go somewhere. Second you may want to bring your temp down a bit but youre plants may already be used to it (its a little warm). Third dont spray with a water bottle. Some argue If the plants are young the water droplets can magnify the light and cause burns..What you need to do is water until alllll the soil is saturated well like draining out of the bottom of the pot. the next couple of days the top soil will dry out but thats ok the soil underneath well still hold water and keep the roots reaching for the water, expanding your root system (good). Stick your finger down in the soil to determine when next to water or feel the pot full of water and feel it a few days later...if it needs water repeat that step. Hope it helps

4. thanks so much, good thing i wen't to the local store and got big pots and good soil the other day. I will transplant both plants in their own pot and get the soil saturated. with the small pots is the water evaporating fast?
    and do you think this is a case of underwatering?

5. Yea the less soil there is and perilite, imo, the quicker it will dry out. i'm almost positive it underwatering although the symptoms are the same for over watering. Also remember the general rule of thumb is a gallon of soil per foot of plant..Youre roots may have been root bound which could encourage this as well. The new soil and pots should perk them up well. good luck

6. thanks i just transplanted it, how long do you think it will be befor i see noticable improvement. also should i saturate the soil with neutrant add, or leave it plain old ro, distilled water

7. i have updated pictures just after the transplant. thanks for your help and if anybody has any comment please leave one or send me a message

Attached Files:

8. hey dude going by ur first pics it may have been underwatering as overwatering they dont droop as much, whereas underwater they dont have the strength to hold the leafs up so droop more & then dry up & so on, if it is under watering make sure they've had a good soak in their new pots & they should perk up quite quick really

ps if they were rootbound also, this would have contributed toward the problems

9. yea i got them from a dispensery just a few days ago. the lady told me to keep them in the little pot for a week before transplanting them. But i don't think i should follow her advice, and more or less the advice i am finding here is much better. All you guys seem to know what your talking about and i appreciate the help. this is my first grow as a medical patent in the beautiful state of Boulder Colorado. i will post pics in a min, it's amazing to see this thing come back to life. (perk back up)

10. Looks good they should bounce back quick. Make sure you saturate the new home. As for the nutes I would hold off on those for a few days just to see how they perk up. Remember to start off 1/4 of the strength when you do so you don't stress the plants to much. Peace

11. there perking up pretty fast, i saturated the one in the big pot. the other one will have to wait till tomorrow till i can get a bigger pot. thanks!

Attached Files:

12. great stuff dude if their perking up quick it was defo underwatering, it prob 1 of the quickest things to sort lol, if you got 1 you couldnt transplant or whatever still give it a water, that'll sort her out, as she may get stressed from lack of water,

what i do with watering(to give u an idea) is give them a good soak untill i get water just running/dripping from the drainage holes, then i dont water again untill the soil is almost dry then soak again, alot of people are to scared to do this i think so they overwater, but people dont relize that MJ plants like their soil to dry out a good amount between waterings, theres many reasons for this the main 1 is so that the roots grow out looking for food/water

i accepted u on my buddy list lol, just PM me if you need any help if you want, im by no means an expert but im always happy to try & help

13. cool i gave the little one water to, so tomorrow i will transplant. But thanks for your help, ive literally been sitting here watching them perk up, it's cool to see reaction to what's going on and the responce is amazing!

thanks for the watering info, ive been curious on how that works... like i said i have been looking all over this site and it is my #1 stop for all my answers. people like you make this sight worth it.

thanks again and if i have any Q's ill let you know

14. no prob dude, watering is 1 of the top things people have trouble with, usually overwatering tho lol, glad their recovering quick!:hello::hello:

15. I like the new avatar Pancake. The Tai Lights looks great in her new pot. Looks loike the Paypaya is doing well too. Keep it up!

16. #16 belialtheunholy, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    The thing with 400w HID systems, is that they don't put off too much heat, so you can move your lights almost til they touch the top of the plants. I keep my light only 2 inches off the glass on my hood, so realistically about 4 inches from the light. Try lowering your light to about that height.

Definitely invest in bigger pots! Those little things aren't going to get you anywhere past a month. Your plants will become root-bound. Transplant those girls into bigger pots right away.

If the soil is dry and crusty like you said, make sure you water them! Your soil mix might not be holding the moisture like it should, look into a better soil mix or add some perlite. Monitor the pH levels too, that's important!

I hope your girls grow nice and big! I'll be sticking around... :wave: