Over 50% of Californians now support Prop 19

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by PilkyHigh, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Prop. 19 Increasingly Popular Among California Voters

2. Anyone?! This is great news!!!

3. Thanks for sharing PilkyHigh! I think this is awesome news. Nice of a New Zealander to give a crap about us haha. :) Happy toking!

4. Yep. It's gaining momentum but never under estimate the ability of parnoid puritans to scare the crap out of people. We HAVE to get out and vote. If you aren't registered, you only have 2 more weeks to do it.

Rock the Vote: register to vote, get educated, volunteer

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the country freak out when or IF this passes. There are no guarantees, but the latest polls show we have the numbers. Now we just have to be counted. Even if you have never voted in your life, this is the one to get out and do it for. It's a total world changer.

5. #5 PilkyHigh, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
    You're welcome. Well it affects my country too. If this passes, or WHEN this passes, the whole stigma about cannabis will collapse and weed will be slowly legalised throughout the rest of the world. California's the first stepping stone on a path to freedom! Finally!

6. Smoke the Vote!!

Vote Yes on Prop19:wave::smoke:

First California..........Then the WORLD :D

7. It would be great news if all these people actually voted. Don't pop the cork just yet.

8. If I lived in California I would vote and that is one of his interests!

9. geez i must be the only one against this.

im all for legalization, but not the way this bill would bring it about.

have any of you actually read it?

10. Yes. It's not perfect, but it would do a lot more good than the harm dealt by prohibition, it's not where we need to be but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Medical Marijuana laws have been drastically changed for the better since 1996.

11. Read it? Yep, I can just about recite it from memory. I think there are way more positives to Prop 19 than negatives. But whether it passes or not, several other states (not all) will likely consider legalization measures. Rather than dwell on what Cali is doing, what do you think is the best way for advocates in other states to proceed and how should it be proposed to the people for vote?

12. #12 bareyb, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
    There was so much conflicting information from both sides, I actually did go and read the whole thing. I couldn't find anything in there that isn't exactly what the proponents of this bill say is in there. Prop 215 is untouched. Cities can opt in or out just like with Alcohol. Any item that is sold in the USA is going to be taxed, so having it be "tax free" simply isn't realistic in my opinion. This is a good start and will set a foundation for Cannabis user's rights. It will only get better from there. A lot of good can come from this and it will strengthen the medical marijuana laws in the long run, save a ton of money to the state, and literally change the world.

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting for another "more perfect" proposition to get on the ballot because it could be YEARS before that happens. In the meantime, if Prop 19 fails, the religious right will be out in force trying to use this as an excuse to go after Medical Marijuana. We kind of snuck up on them this time, and I fear next time they will have more time to set up their defense of the status quo. This is the shot we've been given and we have to take it. :smoke:

13. Any step for legalization is a right step for legalization.

The medical bill wasn't perfect but look what we have now thanks to that landmark bill :hello:

14. #14 PilkyHigh, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
    From what I can gather, although not perfect, this NEEDS to pass if we want more favourable initiatives to pass like the Jack Herer one in 2012. No Prop 19 isn't perfect, yes there will still be some legal complications, but this is as good a start we'll get for full legalisation! Vote yes if you want to see the stigma surrounding cannabis begin to crumble, and set the path for legalisation in several other states, and ultimately other countries across the globe.

15. Couldn't agree more. Medical Marijuana has already put a lot of cracks in the stigma, passage of Prop 19 will shatter it. I never thought I'd see this happen in my lifetime, and I still can't believe we are this close.

Putting it on the ballot has caused people to finally debate the issues and start researching the truth. We can all thank the Internet for getting the message out. If we had to rely on TV and newspapers, nobody would even know about this. Have you seen how biased most newspapers are? They are as bad as career politicians.

Getting this passed will open the door for even better measures. Once it's been made legal, it's going to be tough to ever take it away from us again. It will be like to trying to take Alcohol away again. Just isn't going to happen once it's institutionalized. That's why it's so damn import that Prop 19 passes. If we try and fail, it could really give the other side a chance to pass some of the scary legislation they are currently drafting. If they have their way, only terminally ill and cancer patients will be allowed to have medical marijuana. They don't want anyone else to have it.

16. Agreed. The internet is essentially our last medium for expressing the truth. It's a place where there's little control and everyone can express their ideas and beliefs. If the internet goes, so does our freedom.