outdoor watering systems?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by farmer brown, Mar 6, 2010.

1. alrite im thinking about growing for my first time this spring. i have done alot of reasearch and due to lack of indoor resorses (space) im going to grow outdoors. i have a good spot scouted out and i have been reading up on outdoor growing. i was thinking about atempting to make a gravity powered outdoor wattering system with a 55 gallon bucket, or self watering buckets but i think that the bucket(s) will collect algae.
    1) will algae in the water hurt my plants?
    2) if i use a product to get rid of the algae will it hurt my plants

also feel free to post any other info that u think might help me out, such as good outdoor soil mixxes or different outdoor watering systems. thanks!

2. If you keep the drum closed and dont allow light, then algae cant grow. It needs light.

3. I've never had an issue with terrible algae buildup in outdoor grows, but keeping things lightproof is easy, even with just a bit of compost leaf coverage on top of the soil.

If you're doing some bottle soil-mix suspension thing in the ground, your roots should never be accessible to light so algae buildup never occurs. Algae is mostly a sign of healthy micro-ecological development, which is a good sign for you.

4. #4 OneBadMan, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
    Ya make sure no light or Leave's and other contaminants can get into the barrel other then that anything that does grow in the barrel isn't going to hurt anything! On my outdoor i use a 70 gallon tank just a little bigger then one u want use. It on gravity feed from my spring constantly filling the tank. I run 1/2 gph sprayer's on a 100 gallon hole's ( 25 Hole's), i leave tank running to hole's 24/7 during summer. Tank stays full i add Nutes to tank as i need them usually every other week. A gravity Feed system with Reservoir is a kick ass way to do Outdoor. Keep It Simple is what i always say! Good luck to you bro & Be Safe!! Keep Ur trail to a MIN!!