Outdoor Transplant process

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by endisalwaysnear, May 13, 2010.

1. #1 endisalwaysnear, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
    Hi guys and thank you for allowing me to participate in this forum. forgive me if I am posting in the wrong thread etc.

I have some clones of about 12 inches that I will have to pick up 2-3 days before I can transplant them outdoors. They must stay in a basement apt. with zero setup until then.

Below are some of the questions I would love some general advice on:

1. How can I best maintain them during this time before transplantation?
    2. Once I am in the country, should I immediately transplant them in the woods or let them sit in an intermediate spot (say a room with tons of windows and sunlight)?
    3. Should I transplant them directly into the earth mixed with organic soil or in little plastic containers in the earth?
    4. Can they survive 4 days manually watered 3 days off or not, since I won't have daily access to them?

Any other general info on this early stage would be welcomed.

As far as what info. I can provide:

• Temperature these next few days expected to be around 60-75 degrees Fahrenheit going down at night to 40-50.
    • Terrain ranges from mossy to grassland to mountainous rocky. Plentiful stable water resources.
    • I believe they are M39s though this may change.

I will be glad to provide more info if necessary.
    cheers

2. Hmm. Was it something I said? :confused:

3. 1. Try to get as much sun for them as possible. Water only when needed (stick your finger about an inch into the soil and if it feels damp, wait a day. If it feels dry, water until you get run off)

2. Depending on where you live, it could be too early to put them outdoors, but the closer you are to the equator, the earlier you can do so. I live in New York and I'm waiting until about june to put out my plants because we're still getting intermitent frosts. With your temps, you might be alright putting them out now.

3. Up to you. Having them in containers makes them easier to move if you have to, but you run the risk of getting root bound.

4. See point 1.

4. Thanks akhans,

One more question though,
    How deep should I dig before inserting the clone and how much water should I use the first time?

From what I've read: 2-4 feet deep, mix the earth with soil then plant it and drench with up to 10 liters of water. this sounds like an awful lot of water and excessive depth no?

5. 2-4 feet is good. It provides a good area for your roots to expand in before hitting compacted earth. Drenching it with water is akin to what indoor growers are doing by watering until run off- getting water further down into the soil that the roots have to reach and grow towards.