Outdoor Temps at 115 degrees looking for a soil that will combat the heat.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Oldschool OG Kushman, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Outdoor grow with dry desert temps and I was wondering if anybody knew a great soil mix (organic or not) for these crazy high temperature. Any other tips for a high temp outdoor grow would be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. You could look for a soil with higher clay content to hold in the moisture, but I'm not sure of a brand or if that's the best move. You should, 100%, mulch with hay or something similar. You're going to lose a ton of water to evaporation so anything to combat that is a plus.

3. Thanks for the knowledge. I went with Amnesia Haze and Ak 49 I think these will do alright in the harsh conditions. Only time will tell.

4. How often will you be able to water? Have you thought of a thin shade cloth to bring temps down?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Mulch and silica/aloe foliars will help the plants cope with extreme heat, hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I just used shade cloth and a lot off pea straw when the days where above 45c this summer seemed to work fine for me

7. I use a product called aliuminet it is a lite weight Mylar type of sun shade that blocks about 12% of the sun but knocks the temp down ten degrees also hail netting will work and it cuts the heat by 5-7 degrees. Put 3-4 in of mulch like straw or wood shavings around the plants. Kelp helps plants deal with heat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I use a coco,hydroton and perlite mix and it hold moisture quite well.

9. So Cal Growers Unite
    Here is the Southern California outdoor thread.. Many of us deal with high heat and you might find some like minded growers with close conditions to yours..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something like this family of assorted size SIPs (self irrigating planters) might be an idea you can put to use.. The 3 gallons proved to small but the 5s and 18s I still use to this day and can go several days between watering's..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  10. When you say mulch you mean on top of the soil?

11. #12 Oldschool OG Kushman, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016