outdoor soil and ferilizer

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by smokekushr, Jan 27, 2012.

1. this is my second year growing outdoors and i have some questions. I'm looking to get a much better quality bud and higher yield this year so I figured I'd start off with soil and fertilizer recommendations. what works for you? looking for a good soil and what is the best fertilizer for veg and flowering. also looking for some tips on controlling pests, mold, and keeping my soil's ph at a reasonable level? any extra advice from veteran growers is appreciated, thanks

2. I mix nute enriched soil,mixed with yard soil...I baked my yard soil in the oven to kill out unwanted stuff in the soil tho...join member SG1 's thread .He has answered alot of your questions if you read his thread...

3. Depends on what is available to you nearby. Baking soil imho is not a good idea. there are billions of microbes in your soil that are essential for vibrant plant health. you will kill the good with the bad and your soil will be dead. soil is alive!! Making your own fertile soil can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. there is a distinct difference between fertile soil and dirt. And the best resistance to pests, molds and other problems is...dahdah.....healthy soil = healthy plants. most problems will attack the weaker plants first. a healthy plant will resist insects and disease. this is the best defense. chemicals are a less attractive choice though often necessary.
    It also depends on if you are growing in containers or holes. and of course your budget. and watering capabilities. do you want your soil to try and retain as much water as possible? or do you have plenty of water and want your soil to drain quickly so you can water often and make changes more quickly.
    Dude, this is too huge a question...soil science is a big subject.
    But, it can be simplified for the home gardener.
    something to aerate, like perlite, vermiculite, lava around 10-40% your choice
    nutrient rich stuff like compost, manures (composted and NOT hot) 20-50%
    something to hold water? coco, water crystals 2-10%
    native dirt 10-30% I believe in often adding some amounts of native soil as it contains just the right minerals and nutrients for that zone.
    don't forget your microbes and mychorizha they are responsible truly for feeding the roots.
    start early so it has time to cool off. be careful of bringing in ingredients from commercial sources like mushroom composts as they might introduce soil-borne diseases.
    get a soil test, and make changes accordingly.
    geez, i could go on......

4. links under my signature