Outdoor Single Plant - General Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by slimetime, Sep 21, 2010.

1. How's it going everybody? I was gonna do an intro thread but I figured I'll be spending most of my time in this thread, and why not keep my post on topic?!

Anyway, here's the story of my outdoor grow to date :)

The seed I planted is from an unknown source. I actually found the seed in a nug I had (yay, right?). I held on to it for a while, then I jokingly pressed it about an inch into a freshly soiled pot at a friends house, and poured some water on it.

Low and behold it started growing. Which may not be weird to you all, but I've never grown anything from a seed. Fascinating stuff. I digress.. The seed grew, and we began to water it whenever the soil started to feel dry.

I never really thought it would produce anything, but it has been steadily growing ever since I planted it, and it turns out it's a female plant. Anyway, yesterday after having a few beers we thought we'd go check out the plant. We got this crazy idea to cut off all the leaves that looked like they were struggling/dying. My buddy told me the dying leaves steal nutrients from the plant? Anyway that's the first real maintenance we have done to the plant.

Now from looking at pictures I can tell that the shape of my plant is clearly a bit retarded, even the stock grew in a sideways direction (it was planted on the porch, so it grew for the sun obviously). We have it supported by a steak in the ground.. The leaves that are intact seem healthy, and the "buds" if you will seem to be growing healthily. Now to the point of my post...

Could you guys/girls take a look at my plant and let me know how it looks? I'm not expecting anything as I grew it on a whim, but I'm willing to do what I need to to save/protect it. Below are some pictures of my plant, as well as some pictures of the leaves that we cut off.

Thanks!

Slime

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      955.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      854.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      791.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      562.2 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      851.7 KB
      Views:
  2. She looks good. But you shouldnt take any leaves off unless theyre dangling. Well thats always what i do. But good luck man.

3. Ouch, we managed to take off a good amount of leaves.. Haha, there's still a decent amount of them though, and it still looks healthy.

Thanks for replying, I was freaking out that it's just a retarded plant that won't produce :( lol

4. your plant looks ok. what are you feeding it? from the looks of picture 3 you still have a few weeks to go.

5. Honestly we have done nothing for this plant but water it. We decided to get serious about it a couple days ago, and since then I have been browsing different forums and decided that this definitely wont be the last one I grow :)

We planted it in BASIC potting soil, and my buddies mom has been watering it daily until recently he asked her to stop. From what I understand we should be watering it only when the soil feels dry.

Normally I wouldn't be inclined to ask things that are definitely searchable (believe me I'll be searching as well) - But what should we be feeding it in this stage? I'd say it's been 'flowering'(?) for about 2 weeks, give or take a few days to a week :p

6. Up until 2 weeks before you harvest the buds, feed it Super Bloom fertilizer. Organic is best since you will be consuming it. In the flowering stage they need a fert. with lower nitrogen and more phosphorus !
    She looks good!! :D

7. P.s. Once the flowering is in full swing you need to water less

8. #8 CA MMJ, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't take off any leaves unless they're 50%+ damaged. If you rip off the leaves before they are too unhealthy, it actually takes more nutrients to heal the wound than it does if you wait until the leaf is much more unhealthy. But that's just the kinda stuff you learn as you go, good grow though man! Especially for not trying...sheesh. Id say, read your plant to learn when to fertilize. If the leaves yellow, they need more nitrogen, if the buds are growing at a snails pace, give more phosphorous, and if you start to get twisted/brown/messed up leaves, lay off the nutrients and just give it good ol' aqua till the nutrients that built up are all flushed out....

best of luck bro! Keep this updated, I wanna see how it turns out =D Im coming up close to harvesting my first outdoor plant too....muahahaha

P.S....Good job on catching the overwatering thing.....just wait until the soil is totally dry a couple knuckles down on yer finger before you water, and you'll be smooth sailin' brother

9. I'm pretty sure you guys gave me all the info I need to be confident in making this plant produce.. I've been reading for hours and that pretty much summed it up, hahah.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it! I'll be sure to update this thread after I take a trip to Home Depot or... where ever I can find phosphorous :p

10. Checkout your local hydroponic store, OSH, Home Depot, Lowes, Etc. Should find what you need. It's better to buy a name brand though, such as Dutch Master, Fox Farms, Etc, Alot of fertilizers out their just aren't meant for the Herb':cool:

11. Thanks for all the info guy :) My plant started to die when it got cold/rainy in Cali these past few weeks (now fucking 100 degrees again) so I had to harvest what seemed to be a little bit early. The pistils didn't get a chance to receed all the way, or turn more brown for that matter..

Anyway, I hang dried the plants for about 4-5 days and they've been in a glass bread pan that came with a top curing ever since.

Moral of the story, if you put a seed in the ground... and water it, it will grow. I got a 1/2oz out of my accidental plant :D

Haha.

12. leaves that are coming off the stalk/stems are pointless IMO.I belive that all the nutes that the plant needs goes to the leaves insted of what your actually growing for (THE BUDS)...Eliminate most of the leaves and the buds gain more nutes

13. I wouldn't sweat the leaf damage. I would move it off the porch and into the sun. Direct sun is the bud's best friend.

14. I think she looks decent considering she was an accidental type. Get ready for more support as she buds cause she will get heavier.

15. I respectfully disagree my lighter is my buds best friend :hippie: