Outdoor security (backyard)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by slangheat, Jul 12, 2009.

1. #1 slangheat, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
    Yo GC, whatup!

Can't find any info from searching the forums so I'm stuck making a post. I'm a medical user here in CA and I grow for my mother as well, and I have a pretty decent-sized outdoor grow this year. It's only 8 plants, but as usual when grown in the ground, they are very tall and bushy. Typically, I pride myself on being able to hide these plants and fly low on the radar. My neighbor knows, and she's very cool, and in the past she has actually kept on eye on my backyard when I'm not around. (how rare for someone to be so understanding huh?!).

Anyways, last year everything did NOT go as smoothly as usual. I got piss-faced drunk and passed out early on a weekend night. Apparently, someone saw their oppurtunity, and got in my yard.... Fortunately I was awoken by the bigass cow-bells I keep hanging all around my yard. I chased them out, but not before they got my only AK plant.

This year, I'll be damned if anybody get's back there. I do realize, however, that I can't sit outback 24/7 as I do have a job, and other responsibilies that require my time. MY QUESTION: What do you other guys do, who are in my same situation? I'm not looking for any types of bear-trapping, or any of that bullshit. I am looking for some sort of (cheap) method that will help me deterr people from even coming back there. Something that makes a theif say, "nah, thats too much effort, and i'd be way too loud", when they are scoping me out. Generally, I have (very trusty) eyes and ears on the yard at all times, but for night time, when I'm sleeping, what will work well to ALERT me? (Not looking for a big obvious camera system or anything either. I'm prop 215 compliant here in CA, but still don't need any attention)

As of this moment... I've purchased a nice high-powerd pellet gun, shoots 515 ft/sec that has a nice semi-auto 8 pellet magazine. I have a .357 that I keep for basic home protection, but that would obviously require the police coming out if I shot that off. I figure this will work nice to pelt them in the legs a few times on their way out of my yard anyways haha! I also have what is similar to soccer or goalie netting tied around, with big cowbells hanging all around it. (This saved my ass last year, and am really looking for methods similar to this).

Thanks guys, I rambled a ton I know, it's the meds. ;)

2. #2 nevesone7, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
    I too live in Cali and have a nice backyard grow going. I do the bells on all my plants and am looking into adding some extra night time security. I am thinking of adding a perimeter alarm. here is one I am looking at..The chime system would be inside my bedroom so I am alerted if anyone crosses over my fence at night

Driveway Patrol Wireless Alert System

3. Oh man, that's right in the direction i'm aiming. Thanks a ton bro, good luck to you and getting your girls in safely this year. :wave:

4. No problem man, good luck to you as well and happy harvest!

5. Dog? Constantino wire? How about electric fence....You want to get lit? I'll light you up!:devious:

6. I was thinking the same thing.
    A low profile hot wire.
    Zap their thieving asses!
    Also, we just put motion activated blinding lights on the sides and front of my house.
    If they come near my house they light up my window. :)

7. Motion sensing alarm.

8. #9 nevesone7, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
    Only issue I seen with anything that causes minor pain, it's likely to just piss them off AND THEY MAKE SURE THEY TAKE YOUR SHIT WITH THEM...

At least with a perimeter alarm which includes motion and infrared beam along the fence perimeter with and alarm inside the house you are alerted that someone is in your backyard at night...what ever tactic you use to rid them once you know they are there, well maybe we should not speak of it...just do what your going to do...after all the point is to save your crop, not go to jail...correct?

9. Thanks for your replies guys. Those of you who are using the motion sensors or flood lights, do you have ones that work in the rain? Last year I got a few odd rainy days and my flood lights weren't working correctly, and I've been having a hard time finding lights with sensors that are gaurenteed to work when wet/moist. Gonna look into that electric fence, it has been mentioned to me by my bro-in-law, but I have a small dog, and my neighbor has a cat I wouldn't wanna shock so that needs some more consideration i suppose. Still open to any other ideas you guys might have, us MJ user can be very creative, but my creative side seems to have gone up in smoke.

10. #11 nevesone7, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
    I use motion flood lights at the front and sides of my house. Never had any issues with them not working due to rain or moisture.. They have been on my house for many years and work fine.
    As for motion sensors, I like you am on the hunt searching through the web for the best system at the best price. I like the wireless setup, because I can attached them under the eave of my house where they will not be noticed. They run on batteries...

11. this is what you need [ame="http://www.break.com/index/motion-activated-sprinkler-vs-pigeons.html"]Motion Activated Sprinkler Vs Pigeons Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/365748@@AMEPARAM@@365748[/ame] :rolleyes:

12. Just get a guard dog dude.

[​IMG]

13. Just not an option for me to get a guard dog, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. I wouldn't have the time to properly take care of another animal (yes, im a "pussy" dog lover and think they should be treated well and given time/attention). Also, my uncle once had a guard dog that was easily shot while he wasn't home - I just wouldn't wanna deal with anything like that.

The bird sprinker was a great laugh, but I'm not sure it would be enough to force someone to turn around and leave :(. The motion sensors seem like my best bet though - It's just that mine failed last year during a rainy night and I guess I was looking for some other idea that another backyard grower came up with. I guess possibly infrared sensors would actually work more effective in the cold/wet though huh? (Incase anyone is wondering I have a removable roof for my gardening area so the plants don't get wet). Anyways, still looking for any and all ideas that will help keep me alerted of prowlers out back.... I stay awake all night anyways but sometimes I get caught up in a good show or some shit lol and I'll forget about my yard for a good while. :eek:

14. I like the doggy.