Outdoor LOS; 2 Autos, 1 Photo

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Gandalf_the_Green, May 3, 2023.

1. Alright, it's that time of the year again lol. My mom wants to grow a couple plants again, and I'm going to help her again. We learned a lot from last year. She learned (which I had told her) that the pots she wanted to use weren't big enough (about 1 gallon each). She learned that LOS is better than bottled organic nutes. We learned that we started them too early (I think it was April 12th or 14th), and the cold temps contributed to stunting them a bit. I learned that when she is out of town, and the heat is 105F, they can't go a single day without being watered. And I learned that I had better be more regimented with IPM, because we lost about 1/3 of the harvest to bud rot. Even so, she was able to harvest enough to get all the way through fall, winter, and spring, and still has some left (because she only takes 1 or 2 puffs each night lol).

So..... I just mixed the soil and now it'll cook for 3-4 weeks. Around here they say wait to plant your tomatoes until after the Kentucky Derby, so we're waiting to pop the seeds until then (May 6th). Once they pop, they'll go into a small container of basic soil mix (just Peat, EWC, Compost, and aeration). Then when the LOS is ready, they'll go into their final pots (except the Photoperiod plant which is going into the ground). The soil is:
    ~ 0.5 cf Sphagnum Peat Moss
    ~0.3 cf EWC
    ~0.2 cf Mushroom Compost
    ~0.5 cf Lava Rock / Rice Hulls (when they arrive... I figure the soil can start cooking without aeration)
    ~0.2 cf BAS Bio-Char
    1.25 cup BAS Oyster Shell Flour
    2.5 cups BAS Mineral Mix (Basalt Rock Dust, Gypsum, Oyster Shell Flour)
    1/4 cup Mycos
    1 cup Kelp Meal
    3/4 cup Alfalfa Meal
    3/4 cup Ahimsa Neem Cake
    3/4 cup Espoma Organic Plant-Tone
    1/4 cup Soft Rock Phosphate
    1 tsp Cyto-Plus Humic Acid Concentrate with Seaweed

I mixed it all up, then moistened it with Rainwater. Voila! I also plan to give them a couple of foliars with ACTs, Humic Acid, Silica, Aloe Powder, Coconut Water, Neem Oil, Kelp Tea, etc.

She got the seeds last year from Growers Choice. The photoperiod plant will be a Mazar; the two autoflowering plants will be a Critical Purple and a Bubblegum (she only likes Indica-dominant strains). The autoflowers will be in clay pots about 3-4 gallons. The Mazar will be in the ground, but when I dig the hole for it, I'll fill it back in with my LOS.

And that's about it! Thanks for reading along, advice and tips are always appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda to 1 gallon of water. Drench spray once a week seeding to harvest to prevent Powdery Mildew. Use BT Thuricide once a week from the first sign of flower to harvest to control Caterpillars. Mother Nature usually takes care of everything else outside. Between the Ladybugs on patrol and the Praying Mantises lurking in the tops the plants rarely show any damage.

To limit Bud rot in mold prone high humidity zones you can clip off every other forming bud site on each cola. This will appear to reduce the Harvest but you'll actually get more as it will all be clean and you won't be tossing half the buds and wondering about the quality of the rest. I used to converse with a grower in the Florida Keys who removed 30 to 50% of the sites.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. With temperatures in the 105 f range those clay pots might not be the best choice. I believe they tend to wick moisture away from the roots too. You may run into the same situation with watering daily.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I appreciate that... thank you, I didn't think this geographic area would have bud rot, but you were right. I will absolutely have sodium bicarbonate foliars this season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I cant talk her out of clay pots lol.... shes an old school hippie worried about plastic residues and all kinds of other stuff... she's set on clay pots. I appreciate you contributing though! Nice to meet you!

• Like Like x 1
  6. We always sealed the clay pots with asphault emulsion to keep the low humidity from sucking them dry.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If it's glazed inside and white on the outside it won't heat up and dry out as bad. I would increase the pot size if I was set on using clay pots. Nice to meet you too @Gandalf_the_Green.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. [​IMG]

I'm in Southern California. Endless hot sunny days for the most part and these large SIPs (Self Irrigating Planter)are the best above ground planters I've ever made. They are due for new tubs after a decade but they always turn out the best plants on the patio.
    An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun
    Rest of the pictures.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  9. I was going to suggest a Blumat watering system. But, his mom doesn't like plastic. He could always use a wicking system with a cotton cord inside the pots. Then fill a saucer with lava rock or pumice to create a swick system with the added benefit of the cotton to bring the water into the entire soil mass.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well, she's starting to come around a little bit. She's worried about how heavy the clay pots will be once they're filled with soil and plants. If I could talk her into anything it would probably be some 4-5 gallon fabric pots that I have. They're obviously lighter and have handles for easy moving.

The soil looks great.... lots of fungal growth on the surface while it's cooking, love to see it. She'll probably pop the seeds in a wet paper towel tonight or tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sorry for the lack of updates, I’ve been quite busy. The autos popped pistils amazingly early. The Crit Purp had pistils at like 2-3 weeks and the Bubblegum at 3-4 weeks. And the growth was underwhelming. I think I can attribute it to a lack of nutrients (they were in just ewc and peat and compost for the first 3 weeks and I doubt my mom followed my advice to feed them nutrients and silica bc she’s not used to doing that), and maybe being root bound in small containers. Lesson is: have your LOS cooked and ready before you pop the seeds. Put autos directly into their forever homes.

Either way, the Purp is really showing her purple colors, and the Bubblegum has really responded to being put into the LOS with lots of growth and really green leaves.

The photo Mazar was put into the ground, but with about 2-3 gallons of LOS in the hole surrounding it. It seems to be doing well. I’ll get some pictures up soon. My mom only smokes about an ounce a year, so any harvest is a success lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. It sounds like an overall success. I tried growing my auto's in 1/2 gallon pots for 24 days before transplanting them in 10 gallon pots. 4 of the 5 plants had circling roots they went to flower before they stretched. The 5th plant had good roots. But, not circling and it is now about 32" tall. The other 4 are all under 15".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Man, they are loving the LOS!! The Mazar has EXPLODED! Great color too! The Bubblegum is looking great too. The Crit Purp loves the soil and has nice color, but my mom has a raccoon problem on her back porch, and they dug her up at least twice, which I don’t think she enjoyed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ok so I guess I will, on advice from a friend, lollipop the main girl. Make her focus
    On flowering for the next few months. They’re looking great! LOS, and Kelp foliars + silica is basically all they’ve gotten.

• Like Like x 1
  15. upload_2023-8-15_20-38-30.jpeg
    it’s rainy so she looks droopy, but I think her health is evident. The LOS is killing it! Saving this recipe for sure

• Like Like x 1
  16. The auto is looking good and dense, about to harvest. Foxtailing a little maybe, but nice nonetheless.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. The bubblegum auto is practically one giant cola with 15 leaves… it’s amazing

Attached Files:

18. Pic

Attached Files:

19. The purp was severely disturbed by being dug up several times, and the Mazar is almost too big…. It loves the LoS soil

20. What is los? I've done a little searching and not come up with anything?

• Agree Agree x 1