Outdoor: in a pot or in the ground?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by solidcell, May 20, 2008.

1. So I'm growing outdoors this season in Southern California where it gets pretty hot over the summer (95-105 on most days in the hottest 1.5 months). I have a sprinkler system set up for the foliage around the perimeter of the yard (where I would plant the plants), so I could just use that (and adjust the output for my favorite plants :eek: ). However, would there be any benefit to just transplanting to a bigger pot instead of into the ground? I guess I can move them more to the center of the yard to get better light, but they do get pretty good exposure where I was planning to plant them. I'm in limbo on this, suggestions?

2. yeah. well what im doing is planting most in the ground, and planting a few in pots so I can baby them. But you should be fine by planting them in the ground. I have 30 plants planted in my woods in potting soil and they only get 5-6 hours of sunlight and they are doing fine. :)

3. Sounds like you are growing in your backyard so I would just go with really big pots, that way you can move them if you have to. Its a lot easier than digging a hole and tearing up your yard, also. It's up to you but Id go with a container grow.

Good Luck man.

4. underpants has got it right make sure to keep them watered man..that intense heat could lead to problems but for the most part u should be straight

5. if its in your yard, put it in the ground. how easy is it to walk off with a plant thats about ready to harvest if its in a pot? .......exactly. someone's gonna smell it and peek over the fence.

6. If I plant them right in the ground will they be more tolerant to under/over watering? Seeing as the roots can find deeper water and excess water will drain faster, respectively I'm assuming

7. Hey pal, I dont know how many plants you have grown outside but its gonna be just as easy to rip it out the ground as out of a pot. If you think someone is gonna strap a 22 gal rubbermaid container full of soil to their back and run off with it down the street, I doubt it. I suggested a container for security reasons, unexpected visitors, the police, etc. He could move it without killing it. Ripping a pot plant out the ground doesnt take much strength, if someone is gonna take it and its in his backyard, it isnt gonna matter where its at, lol.

8. Protect the roots from getting too hot with some mulch or in the shade from some low bushes. The roots are sensitive to heat more than the plants.

9. we'll if your gonna plant them in a pot make sure there in at least 5 gallon pots but yeah you should be fine with planting them in the ground

10. theres so many different ways u could do it, most would work out fine. if the dirt on your lawn (or werever ur planting it) is nice and brown, not too wet, but not dry, then its probobly be fine to plant it in there. potting soil is so much better tho so it will be a plus side for pots, or you could just dig a whole in your lawn, fill it with potting soil and put it right in. thatd definetly work good. what i did was i dug a whole and put the pot in the ground cuz of security reasons, but the ground was wet as shit and the next day i came back n the pot was flooded (luckily i didnt transplant yet) and so i just left it above ground.

11. Yea, I'm having the same concern with the water and flooding. I transplanted them each in their own hole on a slope in my yard (each hole is ~3 cu. ft.). I filled the holes with a mixture of:

2 cu. ft. Soil (organic w/ mulch, and all that other stuff)
    1.2 cu. ft. Perlite
    .3-4 cu. ft. Worm Castings
    .15-2 cu. ft. Builders Sand
    12-18 fl. oz. Mix of: Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Bat Guano, Kelp Meal, Green Sand, Gypsum (i think that was it)

I put rabbit wire around each one, I'll post the pics later (they're on my Dad's camera, I'll have him send them).

The soil that deep (about 2-2.5 feet) is largely clay... so I'm worried about there not being sufficient drainage. Also, with the sprinkler system I'm not sure how to adjust the pH (which is 8.3) and give them nutrients.

Any ideas?