Outdoor Hydro

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ind3nt, Sep 9, 2006.

1. i was wondering if you could grow hydro outdoors, like a natural hydroponic procedure. Here would be my setup, I have shallow creek that runs through the back of my yard that is on private property and no one goes back there to knowledge. I was going to go to the bend in the creek, bout 100 yards back into the woods where there is semi shallow running water. I was told by a friend that I could use this sorta bag he has i forget the name (it is a strong netting with small holes in it) but he said I could fill it with soil and then grow plants on the top part that is part submerged and part above water. I was rather questionable of the bags ability to hold soil and such but he showed me and it did hold the soil in and the water kept it real moist.

My question is would it be possible to grow a plant in this soil which is partly submerged in the water, I would start off by planting a small plant then I would water and nourish it until its roots were long enough to get a nice supply of wet soil, then I would start adding some fertilizer and nutrients into this mix, What do you think is it possible/would work?

2. the roots would have to have dark, wich might be tough. and also the roots cant stay under water or they will get 'root rot' and kill your plant(s)

3. thanks, i think ill just stick to regular growing outside i just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it.

4. Roots do not have to have dark. I start my seedlings off in 5 litre mineral water bottles, which are clear plastic. They grow fine and stay in those containers until I sex them.
    I don´t think roots even have cells to detect whether it is light or dark - why would they need to??

5. You maybe have a serious problem with root rot, unless the roots can recieve an ample supply of oxygen and also take up the correct amount of nutrients in the water they probably wont make it, also the main reason you would want to keep the roots/soil in the dark is to reduce algea from forming

6. Just use a hydro medium and a pretty large res (higher than your pots) and fill it with nute when needed, just have a line running down to trickle your plants.