Outdoor Growing in Pots

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Nairck, May 1, 2011.

1. #1 Nairck, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
    Hey guys,

This will be my first time trying to grow ever, and I want to try two plants (incase one is male). I've read up quite a bit on outdoor growing, but i'm still new, and obviously can still take all the help I can get.

So I have a good spot, near the ocean, which isn't in any plain view from anywhere, it gets about 10 hrs of sun a day. I have the pots set up, small ones for the beginning, then bigger ones after there grow a bit. I would like to keep it simple, since I have little to none resources, I have just normal dirt brought in a left by some workers for the garden around our place (it's pretty chunky but once it's broken up, it looks good/healthy). I also wonder about fertilization? I've read that molasses works good for fertilizing, after a while in a the final growth pots of course. Another thing would be the drying and curing stage. I have a box that is covered in industrial saran rap. Will that be sufficient if I leave it outside when I'm curing? It gets very warm in the summer, so I don't see a problem with leaving it in the sun outside. I'll post some pictures for you.

Again, this is my first time, I want to keep it simple, I don't want like crazy soil mixes, hydroponics systems, I just wunna grow some pot and smoke it! Thanks for the help in advance!

2. molasses is helpful in the last month or so of flowering because of its sugars.Dont dry outside in the sunshine !

3. Why not outside in the sun? Even if its covered in that box to keep the moisture in?

4. you gotta dry it slow dont cover it until it starts gettin crispy on the outside then seal it up in an air tight container over night and open it the next morning and leave it open all day and thenjust keep repeating that process for about a week. I dry in my closet ,your gonna want a cool, dark place to dry in. Mine is ready to be SEALED UP IN ABOUT 4 DAYS

5. You know, Ive been wondering about this curing as well. I have a plant thats gonna be ready around the end of june and Ive been wondering about the specifics about how long and what to do to cure and dry it for maximum potency when its done..

6. If you use that basket warped in plastic in the sun you will ruin your buds they will not dry properly and very well may start to rot. If you must cure out doors do it in the shade and make sure there is good air flow around you buds, you could use that basket with plastic off of it.

7. I could dry in my garage I guess. The only problem is the smell. My garage is dark and cool, so it would be perfect. I've read a bunch on curing but I'm still pretty vague on the details.

Another question I had was, will growing by the ocean effect the yeild? And about once a week I get heavy winds in that spot, how will that affect the plant?

thanks guys

8. no, it will do good with thick stems

9. i also heard that putting a copper ring around the first sprout and leaving it there will keep the slugs out?

10. Molasses is not a really a viable nutrient and should not be used as such. It is a valuable ingredient in aerated composted tea, but if you are trying to use it as food source you will be severely disappointed.

Do not dry and cure in the sun. It WILL ruin the crop. You must do a slow dry and cure in a cool, dark environment if you want to get good quality.

Wind will make the plant grow thicker stems, but this also means the plant is putting more energy into that, rather than growing. Wind will negatively affect your yield so some wind protection when growing outside is always a good idea.

11. awesome! Thanks for the imput blaze :D

how is the smell when curing? If i have two 1 gallon pots, and i harvest them both near the same time, will my whole garage reek? my garage is like 21'x15' and two stories tall. Do i need a small room? or can i hang them up where its dark and leave them?

Also how long does curing take approximately? I've heard 5-10 days?

12. I heard ocean breeze can cause bud rot be careful

13. it's not like it's right on the ocean. It's probably like two stories above the sea and kinda protected by the wind, so actual sea water reaching the plant should be minimal.