Outdoor growing in a pot?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by silky--, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Hey guys,
    I'm new to outdoor growing, and I need some help. I live in Vancouver, and am going to grow outdoor my first time.

Circumstances force me to use pots to grow outdoor, because of too much clay in the ground, and the area is too uneven to stick my girls directly in the dirt.

What size pot should I buy (the maximum size pot I need)? What mix of dirt should I use? And when should I start planting them outside this year, in Vancouver?

2. With pots the bigger the better. So, I would set a budget of how much you are willing to spend on this project and use that to judge how big a pots you can afford. I would recommend you do a drip system if you can - pots dry out pretty quick. Also from what I have seen the smart pots get better results than the plastic pots.

As for dirt, look around for a local soil company. Buying soil in bulk direct from the company that makes it will be much cheaper than buying 40 lb. bags from a hydro store. For example you can get good organic soil for as little as $15-$45 a yard where I am at. That same amount of bagged soil from a hydro store could easily cost you $1,000

Not familiar with the seasons in Vancouver so I can't help you with that one. Good luck!

3. 5 gallon bucket works well, but yeahh..the bigger the better.

4. I'm a part of that 1%er of "bad" weed smokers, I don't buy anything I need for growing marijuana, just jack soil/pots/fertilizer from peoples frontyards ;)

Anyways, what is the largest pot size I'd need if I put 1 plant in it's own seperate pot. 3 gallons? 5? That's what I'm asking.

Thanks for your input :hello:

5. #5 silky--, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010

Sounds good!
    When should I start germination around here? It snowed today -.-

Sorry for double post!

6. All depends on how big you want the plant to be. 1 gallon per foot.

7. I grow in pots, but I'm able to tend my plants daily. When they're all grown up and flowering, they need watering every day...even in 5 gal buckets. The problem w/ pots is that the plants don't get much water when it rains because of the small surface area and the plant canopy. In the ground there is much more area to absorb rainfall so the plant will be able to sustain itself better without too much attention.

Clay soils can be amended with organic matter...compost, leaf litter, etc.

8. did op say he jacked pots from peoples front lawn to grow mj, lol good stuff, i remember i jacked a scooter, when they were popular, from someones yard, anyways imma b growing my outdoor in pots as well, maybe one in the ground

9. With plastic pots you'll want to cover them up with something or better yet bury them, roots hate heat. The bigger the pot the bigger the plant and less watering.

Also, don't steal anything from my yard unless you want a couple of holes in you.

10. Id say general rule of thumb for the pots is 1 gallon for each month the plant is going to be alive so your probably going to want 5 gallon pots if the plants going to veg for 2.5-3 months and bigger if longer or your growing a slow finishing strain.

11. I've grown about 8 different strains of autos outdoors,I prefer using pots. I bought some 4" square by 5" deep pots to start them in. These pots are big enough to get them to where they can be sexed. I then transplant the females into bigger pots. I used 3 gallon pots and checked the roots after harvesting. The only strain that filled a 3 gallon was Mi5. I think a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon is about the right size. I've never been a fan of multiple plants per pot. This method worked very well and I'll continue to use it again this year.

12. silky[]..

Unless this is a joke..... you are just a lowly thief, :mad:...but Karma has a way of balancing the universe from the dearths of society such as yourself.