Outdoor grow? Please help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PotBlazinSwimmr, Apr 2, 2011.

1. ok so i know preatty much nothing about growing pot, but i live in arizona and figured it would be a great place to grow, i want to grow outdoors, one plant will suffice for now, i just want some help
    first off i understand i need good soil, not to acidic
    also i understand the plant should get atleast 9 hours of sunlight right?
    bugs? im sure you have to spray them if your outdoor growing, with what?

supplies
    seeds
    pots
    soil
    water
    sunlight
    what else? what are good fertalizers that i can get at like homedepot, lowes, walmart, etc.
    any other supplies i need!? please help!
    :smoke:

2. #4 Robaslob, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    So cannibis is a vege that we smoke u learn something new every day !

Attached Files:

3. My own, personal two cents:

First, I'll say that it is smart to bring and use your own soil. Bringing potting soil will help reduce the risk of bugs and problems with the soil at the outdoor grow site.
    But there are other factors as well.
    THERE MUST BE ENOUGH LIGHT. You should do some estimating on how your light source (sun) will change positions. Be sure there is nothing that will get in the way of your light for an extended amount of time.
    Also, you have to be careful about water. I am currently growing in the forest myself. However, my grow partner lives close by and is able to water/tend to the plants on a regular basis.
    If you cannot regularly water your plant then I suggest some sort of water supply; such as a drip foundation. What would be even better is having a river close by.

You should always prepare your grow site before you start to grow.
    This means, churn and loosen the earth. I like use potting soil as well as other components and mix them into the ground. It helps to give your garden a good watering as well prior to planting.

You will definitely want a fence surrounding your garden. I recommend chicken wire. Set up posts around the perimeter of the garden and wrap the wire around, acting as a barrier to animals. Making an entrance that can be opened and closed is very convenient. You dont want to lock yourself out.

Also, I highly recommend investing in insecticide. This will deter any bugs and insects that might attack your crop. BE SURE TO ONLY USE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE SEGMENT.
    This means that the insecticides are not harmful to your body. I imagine you wanna be able to smoke and not die from harmful sprays.

Another helpful tip is to leave a water source at the grow site. If you plant near a natural source such as a river, then this is not an issue. However, it is smart to have a large water supply already there so you dont have to carry it up every time.

Be sure not to leave any trash or items that may easily be seen from the sky. If you plan on leaving tools or a water supply at the grow for an extended amount of time, be sure to hide them. Giving them a paint job of black or a dark green helps tremendously.
    One last important factor is the plants themselves. Cops are trained to recognize marijuana plants from the sky. Be sure to plant around shelter that is or is close to the same color of your weed. When planting multiple plants, plant them in a scattered order rather than having them in lines or in a circle.
    In nature, plants do not usually grow in patterns. Therefore, try to make your grow appear as natural as possible.

I recommend Fox Farm Soil. Very good soil. Try Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Miracle Grow Organic Garden Soil.
    Better yet, mix them together!
    Do 2 parts fox farms ocean forest, 1 part mg organic garden soil, and 1 part perlite.

As for germinating, I like to germinate at home using the paper towel method.
    I let the seedlings grow and develop under a few 6400K Cfls and then transplant them to my grow outside when they become a bit larger. (about 2 weeks)

Give them a good watering of maybe 2-3 times a week if possible. Always check the soil before hand. Only water when soil is moist, not wet. It is crucial that you do not over water.

It is best to use any type of insecticide spray in the early morning or the cool of evening. You should never spray when too hot.
    Take the current outdoor Fahrenheit temperature then add to this the percentage of humidity, if the total is more than 140 don't spray. Example: Temperature of 80 plus humidity of 67 percent equals 147, don't spray. You also do not want to spray when temps are above 80F.
    You shouldnt spay more than twice a week.

If however, you are not the typer of person comfortable spraying chemicals on your weed, safe or not, I recommend you check out my Blog on how to make your own insecticide sprays.
    Also in my sig.

Just to be clear...
    Paper Towel Germination Method:
    Put some moist tissues on a plate (use purified or distilled water).
    Place the seeds on top of them and then put another layer of moist tissues on the seeds, so that both the top and bottom of the seed receives moisture.
    Cover the plate with another upturned plate, so that the seeds are in darkness and the environment remains moist.
    Put the covered seeds in a warm place (70F or 21C).
    Check the seeds every day, rewet the tissues if necessary.
    After a couple of days, the seeds should have started showing white roots.
    Wait until the root is about 1/2in long before transplanting.
    Put the seed in a growth medium (soil or rock-wool), in your case, soil, approximately the size of the seed under the surface (about 5 mm).
    The root goes down, into the soil, and the seed goes up facing the surface.

Once you have planted your seed in your medium (soil), turn your lights on (20/4 hour schedule).
    Also place a humidity dome over your pot/container (some plastic saran wrap with a couple toothpick sized holes will work fine).
    After a few days with the light, the seed should break ground. Now you can remove the humidity dome and continue with your light.

Although it is possible to have the seeds germinate immediately outdoors, the germination percentage will be considerably higher if you first germinate indoors.
    From April to May the ground temperature is not yet ideal. I recommend letting the plants grow inside with some cfls for a couple weeks.
    Regularly put the emerged seedlings in a place where they can get used to outdoor conditions (such as on the porch or a window for a couple hours a day).

Hope this helps. ;)

4. #6 PotBlazinSwimmr, Apr 2, 2011
    Yes very much! Thank you! I was wondering, is growing in my backyard in like a big pot a bad idea? Just like one plant, 3-4 gallon pot

5. Depends on where you live. i understand Arizona, but I mean like neighbors and distance between them as well as any visitors.
    I personally would recommend you stay away from growing in your backyard. But even so, I know many people who do.

6. #8 PotBlazinSwimmr, Apr 2, 2011
    Yeah i would go into some wooded area, but most of the area around me is pretty wide open and pretty dry, so i figured in a pot in my backyard would work best, then again i could try indoor, but there's just something about an outdoor grow that fascinates me haha

7. Well actually, if your roof is designed where there is some flat area, you could grow on the roof!

[​IMG]

This way, your grow stays hidden from neighbors/visitors and its still easy enough to get to in order to water/care for.

8. haha thats an awesome picture! i may try that if i can, i have a little patio area that has like 7 foot walls around it that i could get away with growing in i was thinking, one question, how strong is the smell of the plant? and does it just smell like weed?

9. Depends on the strain. Some strains smell super dank, others barely give an odor.
    But up there, any breeze should draft the smell away. And even if you CAN smell it from the ground, as long as you have a couple hedges or other plants growing, no one will suspect anything.

10. #12 PotBlazinSwimmr, Apr 3, 2011
    Sweet, also im gonna try northern lights to start I've herd it doesn't give off a ton of odor, and its amazing haha, im also looking into a PC grow box, do a few indoors and a few outdoors, make some nice salads :smoke: thanks for the help brah, you know anything about pc grow boxes? I've herd and watched and read that there epic lawlz

11. Sorry im high ahahah :p

12. Ive never done a PC grow before, but I very much want to.
    In fact, Im going to start very soon, as soon as I get all the materials. I like to document things so I'll probably make a tutorial or journal on it as well. Plus I'll do a separate one on wiring fans/lights and all that.

Until then, you should check out this Thread. An great example of a clean PC grow with lots of potential.
    For PC grows, you'll want to use computer or Xbox fans to cool and circulate the air. A lot of people ask questions on how to wire them correctly.
    Heres a different thread on Wiring a Computer Fan.

13. #15 PotBlazinSwimmr, Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks man, i was thinking about buyying a setup, do you know how exspensive they are?

14. Link
    But those are HID and LED systems. You'd save A LOT more money if you went with cfls.
    But I dont know where you could buy a pre-made CFL PC set up.