Outdoor Grow / Mould During Drying/Curing . Help Needed

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by KarmaMusic, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hi

So.. I am very, very upset right now because I fear that I am going to have to part with a good portion of 2 of my plants ( the biggest ones ) :/

Here are the circumstances and everything needed to know:

Growing Experience:
    • 4 Years as of this season.
    • Outdoor Grows

Mouldy Plant Info:
    -  I was very proud and completely shocked at how amazing my one plant had grown. I had topped it , a bit too much, but it was fine. It was not extremely tall.. about 5ft at the most. It had at least 10 colas.

- It was planted in an open field-type area. The grass was quite high and the surrounding grass/plants were over grown, which was perfect to cover up from other possible eyes. 

- The plant I believe was Purple Maroc , I am unsure. The plant finished mid September. The nugs were massive.

- The plant was fine, as far as I could see, before I had left for my vacation for a week. It was just about done, but needed a bit more time. 

- Once I came back from my vacation, I went to see how the plants were doing. It was too dark to tell if the hairs had turned orange in majority compared to white hairs. This plant in question actually had grown SO big and SO thick with buds that it had bent over under it's own weight. 

- I noticed this and decided to take a small branch from each plant to determine which were ready for harvest and which needed more time. This plant was ready, but I had noticed that there was some 'white' spots on the plant.. before I took it out of the ground. I was nervous, but unsure of what it actually was.

- I had figured that these white/fuzzy spots were just from the plants that were in the field. The field had plants that grew white/fuzzy things, of which would fly off the plant and land randomly in the field. I figured it was just that, and not mould.

After Harvesting:

-This was the only one I had harvested at the time, the other's were not done yet. I did what I do every year, which has never caused mould, and I put the plant in my closet to dry out. I have a closet that is long and big.. not a walk in though. It has sliding doors, I put them both in the middle so both ends of the closet would be open for air circulation.

- I have a window/portable fan that I use for the summer when it's hot and I want air from outside to come in. I have the fan on almost all of the time, to have fresh air come in .. but not TOO much. It is on it's low speed.

- At this point, I haven't trimmed the plant completely as it takes HOURS to do just the big stems/colas. So I had let it dry out so the leaves would be dry and easy to remove. I did notice that some of the big buds had this mould/white , not A LOT.. but some. I figured that it would NOT spread if it was drying out.

- I harvested 2 more plants, I hung them in the same closet to dry. I believe this MAY have been a mistake due to cross contamination ?  But, I didn't see any issue and there was no where else in my room to keep them to dry. So I had 2 more plants in there drying also. As said before, I would let them dry out before I trimmed them.. much easier that way. 

- The first plant had finished drying yesterday and was ready to go into a jar to cure . I put the buds that I wasn't sure about in as well, the ones with the white/fuzzy/mould looking stuff. Another plant that was in there had also finished and I put that plant in a jar to cure as well. 

- I woke up today to check, after reading about mould last night and getting paranoid. I had noticed that a great deal of the buds from the 1st BIG planet had this white/fuzz on it. I went through it slowly and tried to just pick out all of the white fuzz. I was growing worried and distraught.. knowing I may need to get rid of a lot of this plant. I didn't finish going through them, as I wanted to find answers first.. but I took that bud out of it's jar and left it in the room to dry more until I can decide what to do.

- I IMMEDIATELY checked the other plant I had jarred. This plant was not a big yield, but the buds and quality were ridiculously nice. I checked that furthur and as far as I can tell.. there is no mould on these. How far should I seperate mould from non-mould buds? What length do I go to , to prevent contamination and HOW do I be certain other plants don't become contaminated after these?

- Thankfully, that other jarred one was fine.. but I had my OG KUSH hanging in the closest.. as well as my Sweet Thai (sorry I had 3 more plants :p ) . I went in to check those immediately because I had feared that mould spores had spread to those while they were drying in the same closet.  I was seriously worried about my OG KUSh because it was a big yield and the quality is INSANE. 

- The Sweet Thai I had almost finshed triming last night, I had some colas to finish. I looked and I did not see mould.. but it is hard to tell because at first the mold is hard to spot when the buds themselves are frosty. 

- The OG KUSH .. I DID find some buds that had mould on them..  I quickly and upsettingly went through some of the buds to see if it had been contaminated a lot. It hasn't.. but it is VERY VERY hard to tell with this plant due to it being very frosty and sticky and hard to see mould and what may be mould. I am very worried about this plant growing mould or more mould.. I am unsure of what to do with it. It is not completely dried yet, I still need to trim it..and I DO have another room I can use .. but it is pretty gross in there due to me moving out of that room and into a new room and it's just a bunch of trash basically in there.

The Other Plants and Next Steps -

-So it is pretty obvious at the moment that one of my plants DID have mould on it.. and I am thinking that the small amounts of mould on that one spread while it was in the jar over night.. so I took it out. I believe that this plant has also partially contaminated the other plants in my closet. But I am unsure if that was the cause of further mould.. or if it is conditions in my room.

- I want to figure this out NOW before I bring in the few other plants I have yet  to harvest. I do not want them to be contaminated at all. 

- My room is a decent size. I do smoke ciggarettes, have my tv and xbox on. I sometimes close the window due to the cold air outside at night. I generally have the window open and fan as well, blowing fresh air into the room.  My closet DOES have all of my clothes hanging in it and a bunch of stuff as storage. I DO eat and what not in my room, it is generally clean and pretty spotless.. tho I am unsure what is currently happeing in the closet.

- I am unsure if my ENTIRE closet has been contaminated and I should do something immediately or if it was from the one plant. I don't know what my next step is or should be. I believe I should trim all of the plants I have hanging TODAY to see if mould has occured and to take it out a.s.a.p.

- I believe I should take ALL of the buds out of my closet/room, and go in my room with Lysol/Disinfectant Spray and spray the ENTIRE room and closet to decontaminate them. But I don't know if I should.

- What should I do with the buds I have from the biggest plant that DO have a good amount of mould through the harvest? Should I seperate those from the others? Should I place those in another room? If the buds are DRIED and in my room, which they currently are, and out in the air.. will this cause the mould to spread to other plants in my room? 

Basically... I don't know WHAT caused the mould.. if it was there from the harvest OR conditions in my room/closet. I DONT know what to do in terms of prevention of the current plants I have yet to put in jars, and plants I have yet to harvest.

I really need a lot of advice and suggestions as to what to do next and what I should do immediately.... I just CAN'T fathom my OG KUSH being contaminated and have to get rid of a major portion of it. It is INSANELY good and I got so upset when I noticed SMALL amounts of mould on some of the buds. 

What should I do! What do I Do???

As I said, I have grown 4 years and NEVER has this been an issue. I have always dried them and harvested them the same way. In my closet in my room with air circulation, the same exact way I am this year.. but this is the only year this has occured.

Thank you so much for helping! If pictures would help show how  severe or mild the mould is on some buds, and that being a factor in what I should do.. please let me know and I will post pictures a.s.a.p