outdoor grow for the winter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by bongofthedead, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Ok fellow tokers, I had a thought the other day while at the hardware store... I saw some solar panels and thought that maybe I could build an outdoor grow box. I live in the woods with no nosy neighbors, but a nosy wife and daughter they stay out of the woods so Im thinking of building a box big enough for a few plants, out of 3/4 inch plywood, thinking maybe 3ft by 4 ft high, run the solar panels for lights...anyone ever heard of anything like this? will it work?

2. Never heard of it but you would want your solar panels ina good place to generate enough power when it's winter ;)
    Definantly wanna see pics if u set it up though , good luck :)

3. Solar panels are extremely expensive, and you need knowledge to install those kinda things. Not exactly a DIY project haha...

4. You would need to insulate very well to protect from the cold. Also, sunlight is different in spectrum, intensity, and length in the winter, almost undoubtedly starting you off in 12/12. If you can build and rig the proper lighting, electrical, and other such necessities, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, wait until spring

5. Lots of possible flaws IMO, but if you could rig that baby up well, then go for it. (Post some pics if you do, sounds great)

6. Er...i just want to know it also.

7. you can get a small easy to install kit from some hardware stores starting off around 60 bucks, that should run the lights and fan I would think, only going to try about 2-3 plants in it as a test...if it works can always go bigger.

8. Make sure you do a journal if you go through with this! I, as well as plenty of others, I'm sure, would like to see how that turns out

9. tell you what you guys all send me a pm and Ill email you steps of what Im doing and how...give me a few days to respond... I work alot (to much)

10. Post steps on here?

11. #11 cryingpeanuts, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    Make skylights for natural light and put a heater in it with some goood insuilation.. and your gonna need some serious solar panels to power that heater 24/7. I sure as hell couldn't do that in nebraskas -20 degree winters haha.

12. it wouldn't do any good to use skylight(s) for light, as the winter has a 12/12 cycle already, unless you are using autos

13. Why not build a green house. At least when spring comes around you can maybe harvest and start a new crop. You just would need lights.

14. Also, a shack in the woods with solar panels and a heat signature.....hmmmm.............