Outdoor grow - first time, total noobcake

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dark ambience, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

A friend of me recently gave me around 50 seeds that she had plucked from her buds over time.

It has just gone Spring here in Australia, and I want to give outdoor growing a go. Just have a few newbie questions

1. What is the best method for germination - the wet paper towel in a dark place for a few days?

2. What sort of soil should I opt for - I was thinking of just getting a bag of potting mix and some small pots.

3. In regards to fertalising, i guess it is not necessary until later on in the plants life when it is stronger? Is there anything i should add to the soil to stimulate sprouting/growth? What sort of basic ferts would you recommend for me?

4. Are there any ramifications of starting the grow at my house, then relocating to a more discreet area? At what stage would be best for transportation?

Any help with this would be much appreciated - I'll be sure to post up some pics of my progress!

2. #2 cantharis, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
    I have never found any advantage whatever in germinating seeds in paper towels, it just adds a totally unnecessary extra step. I can list a number of DISadvantages.
    I put my seeds 4 mm deep in soil, keep them warm and moist, they pop in 1 to 5 days.
    If you were growing tomatoes you would do what it says on the packet and plant them in soil.

Soil - most of us, especially organic growers, find that many bought composts are peat (or even sawdust with charcoal to make it black) and little else. I add volcanic rock and sand to help it drain, and wormcastings or manure to add nutrition. There are probably as many different mixes as there are growers - lots of threads on this to SEARCH - a massive subject.

Pots - bigger the roots the bigger the shoots. I use 50 litre rubber tubs which are about as big as I can handle. Here is one next to a 2.5 UK gallon bucket. These are easily available in Spain, but get what you can find, biggest you can handle is best, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

I buy BioCanna organic ferts - but you probably can´t get them in Oz; as a rule of thumb, if it is good for tomatoes it is good for MJ - I like organic ferts but use what you can get. And I make my own organic fert from Russian comfrey (link below, but it takes a bit of preparation). Chemical fert is a lot better than no fert. I think you can get seaweed based organic fert anywhere in the world, very good for MJ, but it can be pricey. And I am a heretic, I fert (with organic, mind you) as soon as my sprouts appear.
    [​IMG]

I sow my seeds in 5 litre ex mineral water bottles. When they show sex (read my link) I repot the girls into the 50 litre tubs - the guys go on the compost heap.
    Good luck to you, Sir.

3. Cantharis,

I was not ignoring the thread, have just been very busy.

Thank you for your help - I have planted 16 seeds in potting mix peat around 4 days ago - no signs of sprouting yet, but am hopeful..

I made the mistake of planting the seeds 'pointy side up', when it should have been the other way around - I am hoping that at least a few still sprout - if not, i will replant the seeds the right way up.

I bought a miracle gro fertiliser - I'll keep this thread posted and add some piccies when they hopefully sprout

4. Go with the MG organic choice. there are also some seedling mixes out there but i dont know much about em. and as for the rolocating thing... id keep em at my house cause you dont know who or whats gonna gonna stumble across em. (I dont know if kangaroos or wallabees will eat yer foliage but i know deer will heh heh australia humor.) but if you have nosy neighbors or where you plan to grow outside your home isnt really hidden go for it

5. OK, glad you have stayed around.

There is no right side up for a seed, the root will automatically go down, and the shoot will rise up out of the soil bringing the seed case with it. Do not mess with them now, just keep them warm, 75 - 80F, and moist.
    Good luck.