Outdoor Flowering - 12/12 does not apply

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cantharis, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Newbies still get confused on this point, so a thread to clarify matters might help. As we are all aware, cannabis responds to the number of hours of daylight per day to determine how it reacts.
    Indoor growers give their plant an 18/6 regime (18 hrs daylight, 6 darkness) to induce vegetative growth, then when their plants are large enough they revert to a 12/12 regime to induce flowering. This causes a certain amount of confusion with outdoor growers.
    As the days are getting longer, your ladies growing outdoors will be in vegetative growth. Once the solstice (21 June) is past and the days start getting significantly shorter, the girls begin to flower. I find this happens about the middle to end of July.
    They DO NOT wait until natural 12/12 arrives before they start to flower - this is merely a convenient lighting ratio used by indoor growers. Natural 12/12 actually occurs at the autumnal equinox, on 21 September (same everywhere in the world) and they will be well into flowering, getting to harvesting, by that time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Great post man, I noticed the n00bs really dont understand this either, they are always asking stuff like "when will 12/12 happen for my area" and stuff like that. Most strains will start flowering when it gets to be around 14 hours of daylight, especially the indica dominant strains. The sativas need a bit longer, so I dont grow them because I just cant finish them before the wet dank weather starts where I live.

90% of the time, when 12/12 actually starts you will be close to chopping your plants down.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Glad you approve, underpants. I wrote it so I can just tell the noobs to read this link, rather than write it out again for the thousandth time.

4. Yeah before the season started(March/April) I was saying it over and over again, it doesnt sink in with some of them. I guess they just have to see it for themselves. When there plants start flowering in late July/early August(thats when it usually starts for me depending on strain) and its 14 hours of daylight or so maybe they will remember us. :)

I been thinking we need some new stickys in here on some things. This might be a good one for flowering times and we definitely need one on pest prevention, some weeks there are 25 posts on asking how to get rid of insects. No one uses the search button or looks at other posts on the same page half the time though so maybe its all for naught.

One more time: IF YOU ARE A OUTDOOR GROWER, FORGET ABOUT 12/12 LIGHT CYCLES!:D

5. Underpants, I have written another couple of links that are in my Signature section. Good idea about the pests, my fave is an organic soap/garlic concoction that works a treat. I will do that next.

EDIT : Done it already.

6. Ahhh, a little wisdom on the topic, from sensei Ed R..

Marijuana Grower's Handbook - Part 3 of 33
    "Growth and Flowering" The cannabis plant regulates its growth and flowering stages by measuring the changes in the number of hours of uniterrupted darkness to determine when to flower. The plant produces a hormone (phytochrome) begining at germination. When this chemical builds up to a critical level, the plant changes its mode from vegetative growth to flowering. This chemical is destroyed in the presence of even a few moments of light. During the late spring and early summer there are many more hours of light than darkness and the hormone does not build up to a critical level. However, as the days grow shorter and there are longer periods of uniterrupted darkness, the hormone builds up to a critical level.
    Flowering occurs at different times with different varieties as a result of the adaptation of the varieties to the environment. Varieties from the 30th latitude grow in an area with a temperate climate and fairly early fall. These plants usually trigger in July or August and are ready to harvest in September or October. Southern African varieties often flower with as little as 8 or 9 hours of darkness/15 to 16 hours of light. Other 30th latitude varieties including most indicas flower when the darkness cycle lasts a minimum of 9 to 10 hours. Jamaican and some Southeast Asian varieties will trigger at 11 hours of darkness and ripen during September or October.
    Equatorial varieties trigger at 12 hours or more of darkness. This means that they will not start flowering before late September or early October and will not mature until late November or early December. Of course, indoors the plants' growth stage can be regulated with the flick of a switch. Nevertheless, the plants respond to the artificial light cycle in the same way that they do to the natural seasonal cycles. The potency of the plant is related to its maturity rather than chronological age. Genetically identical 3 month and 6 month-old plants which have mature flowers have the same potency. Starting from seed, a six month old plant flowers slightly faster and fills out more than a 3 month old plant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. They wont let me give you any rep Al, nice post.

8. I get it :D

Some people just need to realise that it will happen at different times of year for differet plants instead of needing to understand why... if that makes sense haha...

my mates planted some wayyyy too late in the season... theyre about 3-4 inches tall now, just some random bagseed so we dont expect much but theyre definately indica dominant so were hopeing for around 12-16g dry per plant...
    We're in england aswell by the way so it might be a bit different to how it is for you :smoking:

keep toking,
    D.

9. Stupid question. Im a noob and it is my first time growing.

Im going to be leaving to go off to college in early sept. and i dont want to just give my plants away.

Currently my plants are about 2ish feet high, and getting 16 hrs of direct light. If i build some sort of shade structure to cover my plants, could i trick my plants to flower early?

Thanks

10. hey man
    you seem to a know a lot abotu outdoor growing andlike i have jst started germinating my seeds most are nearly done however becaus ei am only planting next week
    havi i missed the growing season or will i jsut fit in??

11. you missed it. sorry bud :(

12. i am force flowering 2 plants with a black out box i made and mine started flowering within one week of the 12/12 switch so yes it does work and it works quite well. take a look at my grow journal for pics.

13. [quote name='Medicine Al']Ahhh, a little wisdom on the topic, from sensei Ed R..

Marijuana Grower's Handbook - Part 3 of 33
    "This chemical is destroyed in the presence of even a few moments of light".

Sooooooooo, I've been checking my outdoor plants at night with flashlight's. This has destroyed the chemical process????:eek:

14. Will only affect it if the plant is flowering, which at this time of year it shouldn't be.

-JC

15. yes, use a green light if you have to check them during their dark period.
    The plants aren't ruined, just reverted to veg, stop checking them with a white light during their dark period and they should start flowering just fine.

The plants monitor the length of the dark period, not the length of the light period, so if you break their night they'll "think" they got two short nights, and as short nights equal veg growth they'll stop flowering.

16. That explains why I havent been able to "SEX" them. Thanks for the quick response. :wave:

17. A 4 line poem to help remember...

The Day's light brings them strength to grow,
    The night's dark brings them flowers...

The day's light gives them will to live,
    The night's dark gives them powers!

It's the darkness, not the light, that matters. Let them sleep!

18. He guys I'm new at this. Is it to late to take a little of the top of this plant? From what people are saying,in my area. Plants should start to flower now or a couple of weeks. I still cant tell what sex it is:(. Thanks for the help,I'm just hoping its a "SHE". And I can create a few more buds by trimming the top off. Or should I just leave it alone.

Attached Files:

19. So read my link on sexing.

20. I just want to make a suggestion. If I were you I would move that plant somewhere it better matches the plants around it. I mean the color of the plants. When your plant gets a foot or two taller it's really going to stick out like a sore thumb. Look at the picture now. It is almost glowing in that area and it's only 2 foot tall. Plus your bucket could use some green paint on it as well. You might try giving your plant some epsom salt that might give it a little darker green color but I can't be for sure on that. Seriously though look at how your plant is like a neon sign there and then picture it 2 feet taller and a little bushier. Do what you want but I wouldn't risk it especially since it's in a bucket and you CAN move it.