Outdoor Bagseed Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by than10, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Hello GC,
    I have spent many hours over the past few years lurking the forums and visiting specific questions. While my last 2 outdoor grows have not been succesful (couldn't get them past seedling stage outdoors), I decided to start this years seeds under 4, 23 watt 6500k CFLs (12/12) in a small cabinet before moving outdoors. Only one plant has survived week 1 (I assume it had to do with high temps in the very small area). I am on a very tight budget, and I would be happy to yield anything or even just learn something valuable for future grows with more $ to invest!
    My plants broke ground 2 weeks ago from ago. Today it was transplanted from a party cup to a 2 gallon round pot and was moved outdoors. The remaining plant has not grown as quickly as I'd like but with constant growth every day, I can't complain. The plant is now getting 9 hours of direct sun light a day.

Any comments, questions, or tips are encouraged, as I am a student ready to learn.

ATTACHED- is a photo of the plant after 1 week of CFL. I will upload a photo tomorrow for 2nd week.

Important Info-
    -The plant is getting 9 hours of direct sun light a day.
    -Using 50% Miracle Gro Potting mix & 50% organic potting soil w/ 1 inch of crushed stone added to bottom from draining.
    -I have not added any other nutrients yet (besides what is in MG) but I have Vigoro All purpose nutes (24-8-16) ready to go.

Thanks, and I hope we can get a succesful grow goin!

Attached Files:

2. Next grow you would be better off just using the organic potting soil without the MG added to it. MG is notorious for killing and burning plants. And it's just not ideal for MJ. It's best to be able to control how much nutrients your plant gets at each stage of its life, and time released nutes take away that control. Later when your plant in flowering you will want to stop feeding nitrogen, but the MJ soil will continue releasing it no matter what.

Other than that, good luck on the grow. I hope you can make it to harvest. Keep it watered and protected from slugs and you should be fine.

3. Hey mama, I have heard lots of the negative talk about MG all over the internet, but it was what I had in ready supply at the time. I wish I hadn't wasted the organic soil in the other 3 plants that died... I have read something about a 3x flush to release MGs nutrients if I get that far! haha. Thanks for the response, here is the week 2 update, 14 days from breaking ground, transplanted yesterday into larger pot and moved outdoors.

Attached Files:

4. #4 than10, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
    Hey guys,
    Week3: finally got a bit of vertical growth this week. Check it out, and let me know if you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns... I added the first dose of 1/8th strength Vigoro (24-8-16) nutes today with watering.

As you can see in the pics, I had a small encounter with an animal but, it only took off a small part of the end of the leaf!

Again, she is still not growing as quickly or getting as large as I'd like but w/e, atleast its growing!

Also want to add I'm watering ever 3rd or 4th day, definetely waiting until soil is completely dry (as I've heard is extra important with Miracle Gro soil)

-Thx, Than

Attached Files:

5. soil looks really wet man. I would transplant and add perlite or keep it inside during sustained rain. g'luck on the grow though.

6. Thanks phyer. Yeah, the soil in the pic is about 10 minutes after watering.

7. Week4: Hey y'all. Pretty happy with this weeks growth. Check out the pix! I'm a little worried about the brown spots on the leaves, but they very well might be from misting during sun light hours (stupid move, i know) but I won't be doing that anymore.

Seems like they are enjoying the Vigoro All Purpose (24-8-16) I started last week. She grew 2 sets of leaves this week instead of only 1 per week in the past 3 weeks.

Days are getting shorter here, shes getting about 7 hours of full light and 2 hours of partial light per day.

She was watered with 1/6th strength nutes about 10 minutes before the picture, thats why shes so wet (HA).

As always, I'm welcoming any suggestions.

-Than

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. looking good soo far!! :hello:

9. Thanks Chino, hoping for a girl.

10. i always like messing w bagseed. lookin good

11. Week5: Hey guys, 2 lower leaves got taken off by some kind of animal this week, but they were drying out and yellowing anyway. I found her in the AM and fixed her up. Now I purchased chicken wire to protect her. Still working on about 1-2 new sets of leaves a week. The leaves are starting to get larger now, but still only 3 points per leaf. Let me kno what y'all think!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Week6: Hey, got some major growth this week. She turned out her first set of 5 finger leaves... After last weeks animal run in, I decided to chicken wire her... She's getting an awful lot of rain here lately, but is doing well, I have been adding nutes about once a week.

P.S.- She's begin to get a little skunky smell when you give her a sniff :hello:

Check out the pics and let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Week7: More growth in the right direction here... Hoping to see some preflower soon. Any tips, or concerns are welcomed...

... Check out the pics y'all!

On another note, I'm going to San Diego next week! Pretty pumped, going with the gf, staying in a hotel, got a rental car... Anyone have any great spots in SD that a stoner like myself must check out? Planning on cave kayaking, hiking, mission beach, pacific beach, Stone brewery, Padres game (huge baseball fan, played in college). Let me know if I'm missing anything!

Thanks, Than

Attached Files:

14. Well guys, I've got tons of good news...

I didn't have a chance to look at my plants for 12 days because of my trip to San Diego, which was great... I was able to find some medical weed, and enjoyed hiking, sight seeing, eating, and drinking lots.

The bud I got from a very friendly MMJ patient was called Sweet Wreck, a really nice mostly sativa hybrid with a great sweet smell and taste... I have gotten TrainWreck on the east coast, and I really remember the delayed buzz, which was exactly the case with Sweet Wreck. I would get about half way through a blunt and then BOOM, wrecked.

On an even better note, I came back to a FEMALE!!!! Yep, confirmed female. She's showing huge white Y hairs. This is my first grow that has gotten this far, and there is no other way to describe these hairs besides magical... Shes also got some side branches, which were not there before... I also found about 3 fat slugs on her on the bottom side of leaves. The slugs had eaten through a few of the leaves on the older growth... Well here is the moment you have been waiting for, the pictures. I wasn't able to get a super clear picture of the hairs, which is really making me mad, but they are definitely visible.

Attached Files:

15. How do I get people to visit my grow journal? lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 diazm, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    Looking good man..very solid, ive got a few of bagseeds growing too their about a week behind yours, its nice to compare.. im a first time grower

17. Yeah nice grow man, atleast your paying attention to your plant. They take more care than anything. I went up north for a week and my plant went from like 8 inches to 14. It was sweet, my outdoors is around 36 inches today :D

18. Update man, Im curious on how those babies are

19. Week10:
    Hope y'all had a great Labor Day Weekend, I was camping & rafting all weekend.

So I ran into some trouble, on my last update I said how there were about 4 bugs with wings eating through some lower leaves... I did some research and decided to do a light dish soap spray... Well I just sprayed most the bottom of the leaves that the bugs had gotten to, and about 4 days later she was looking very sad (pic on left). I probably sprayed way too much. Some lower leaves had completely died, and most were limping and edges curving down but the top 1/2 of the plant was still a nice green and continued growing.

As soon as I saw the problem, I misted the plants to try and take off any more soap residue, and picked off dry dead leaves or edges of leaves. 5 days later, she seems to have recovered nicely. Mother nature, and the dish soap have kind of naturally lollipopped my plant haha. The upper canopy and side leaves have exploded in the last few days as you can see (pic on right).

I don't see any buds yet, but I've never gotten this far before and I'm not really sure exactly what the beginning of budding would look like. I'll keep you guys posted, it's nice to have a few replies haha.
    Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

• bad.JPG
      bad.JPG
      File size:
      68.3 KB
      Views:
    • good.JPG
      good.JPG
      File size:
      66.2 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Diazm, Thanks. do you have a growjournal up here? I'd love to check it out.

Planthead, keep up the good work. Yeah mine is just under 30 inches but that fine with me!

Also, let me know if you guys have any suggestions as I want the best for my baby.