outdoor bagseed grow in twin cities, Minnesota. Help?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Ignatz451, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hi All.

I've been growing indoors with 360-400 watts cfl's from the same unknown bagseed for 3 years now.

I've been using Fox Farms soil/nutes/solubles and their feeding schedule.

I usually veg for 1 1/2-2 months, and they are ready to harvest at around 9-ish weeks of flowering.

This spring, I sprouted 4 seeds, and stuck them in my vegging chamber, expecting to lose 2 of them (I was planning for a 50/50 male/female ratio).

As luck would have it, ALL 4 were female, and my growbox can only hold 2 (3 if I'm careful and crafty).

So I picked the 3 plants that I could most suitably arrange inside my box, and stuck the 4th plant outside at my sister's place, hoping for the best.

This was around July 1st or so.

The plant was about a week into flowering, but reverted back to veg after a couple of weeks, since the days are long this time of year.

The plant is doing great, and I've taken 8 clones from it recently so I don't have to do the seed thing the next time around.

I have never grown outside before, and I'm confused about daylight hours in the twin cities this time of year (July 25th); Like, should I pay attention to dawn and dusk? or just sunrise/sunset?

Does anyone know when I can expect flowering to begin in Minneapolis, MN?

Can I expect a plant with an indoor flowering time of 9 weeks to finish outdoors in Minneapolis, MN before the first frost?

The plant is as big as I need it, but I'm waiting for the sun and nature to do it's thing!

Thanking you all in advance for your thoughtful, brilliant responses,

Ignatz

2. Patience is key, your looking at early September harvest depending on everything weather etc but good luck homie!!

3. Thanks for the quick reply, Forrest!

Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying I should expect to harvest in early September in Minneapolis, or that I can expect flowering to BEGIN in early sept?

The plant has reverted back to veg for the time being. Should I expect flowering to begin soon? (I'm not sure when flowering is triggered outdoors in Mpls).

Thanks a bunch!

-Ignatz

4. Well I'm in Wisco which is right next door, flowering Starts when the days get shorter so it shouldn't be longer till flowering period begins mine are preflowering now and the harvest all depends on the strain, condition, weather etc. Last year mine finished around mid September yet it all depends on the flowering period of your strain! Btw when you went from flowering to veg what happened to the bud already forming? Just curious

5. It was like the little budlets went in reverse, each couple of days when I checked on them they were smaller and smaller, replaced with new plant/leaf growth, till they disappeared entirely and it looked just like a plant in veg.

Like I said, they were only a week-ish into flowering at that point, and though I wasn't sure what would happen with the light change and all, the plant is doing great, and I just saw some pre-flowers again today, so I'm guessing flowering must be close!

6. Yup I got pre flowers too have had em for a while! But good luck to you!

7. Hey Ignatz, Your plants are right on time - mid/late July and early August are when most outdoor mj plants begin flowering here in the midwest. If the flowering time is close to the 9-week period, you should expect it to finish around the first week of October; which is typical for a lot of strains. Throughout the years of growing in MN with different stains, they have all finished (or close to it) in October and into November, weather permitting. But like what Forest stated, there are many factors that contribute as to when they are perfect for the picking. Lets hope for a late frost. Good luck.

8. Thanks guys! Hope this hot summer keeps up for another couple months!