Our human bodies are so complex....

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by StringersBell, Oct 30, 2010.

1. How could it be all by coincidence?

Think about how complex the human body and life on earth is. We have cells, organs, organ systems, homeostasis mechanisms, a highly functional brain...all of these things and more. They are so complex and so many building blocks are required for them to function, yet they do.

Additionally, many of these complex things work together, and must work together in order for a human to live! All of these organ systems are working together to keep us alive, and all of them have to be developed correctly as a fetus in order for us to live.

Billions and billions of things have to go right. From those odds, It makes me wonder how 99% of pregnancies do not result in a stillborn. And out that remaning 1%, you'd think that 99.999 percent of us would have some serious mutation, brain problems, heart problems, or any other major issue that would serious impede our ability to live on this planet.

I know I'm rambling, but it truly is amazing how we are alive on an earth that happens to support all of our crazy complexities. That right there is the primary reason why I believe in a higher power, and that a higher power created humans.:smoke:

2. Idk dude, i just think nature knows how the game goes.

I mean think about it. The babies that did die never passed on the crappy genes. The few that did lived, fucked, and passed on the badass genes that we all know and love today.

3. Why does it have to be a higher power? Nature has created trillions upon trillions of planets each different. Each acting as a test of combinations of chemicals and elements.

So, when thinking about it like this. When nature is running an un-fathomable number of different tests, there are bound to be some which produce life like ours. And there are bound to be some that have produced entirely different forms and types of life.

4. So basically, nature knows what the fuck is up.

5. there is no such thing as nature. nature is a word man invented (along with a multitude of others) to try and explain things away to his own satisfaction....

6. You're right, nature is a man made word. But so is every other word in any language ever... and words represent very real things. I believe nature is a very real thing.

7. I picture nature as the general flow of life. It's basically survival of the fittest.

Don't mean to keep referring to evolution but hey... shit happens

8. #8 StringersBell, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, I guess that's kind of like natural selection and evolution. There probably are more "screw ups" when you think about it. Sex and semen doesn't always result in a baby...

But if we, say, trace our evolutionary ancestors back to their most basic form, to me it just seems like something outside of that cycle had to start it.

9. no its called nature.

10. I mean, the test thing is possible. To me, most any explanation to how nature runs and grows different types of life can be accepted. But...doesn't even nature have to be created?

11. "If atlas holds up the world, what holds up atlas?

Obviously, he stands on the back of a turtle.

But then what does that turtle stand on?

Obviously, the back of another turtle.

And what does that turtle stand on?

Obviously, It's turtles all the way down."

-- Just a little philogagging :ey:

12. Now we're getting somewhere.

I think the likely chance is just as likely as the unlikely chance.

But things always 'want' to 'fall' between the forces.

13. It is not as complex as you think. We are all just ambivalent.

14. #14 clos3tgrow3r, Oct 30, 2010
    believe in any higher power you want dude im not against that just dont let your argument be "shits too complex":cool:

all the complexity that is leading you towards your grand conclusions can be legitimately explained by what we know today its just a matter of education

15. Evolution had better come up with some cool shit.

It's been millions of years! Complexity is bound to happen.

16. not millions dude billions

17. #17 Virtue 7, Oct 30, 2010
    word word you're right lmao :smoking:

I guess I meant just the human genome, since we've only been around for a few million years.. but yeah, fucking single cell organisms in the ocean in such.. a few billion :smoke:

18. Just imagine the complexity of humans in 500 years what kinds of thought will they be able to process and complex systems they are composed of......:eek:

19. i was looking at a fly under a 45x magnifier and it was fucking cr:eek:zy!!!!

i was pretty high too:smoking:

20. I know what you mean man. I've finally realized this in my biology class im taking. Learning about membrane proteins and chemical reactions that produce ATP from glucose amazes me. All these cells manipulating atoms and molecules to make the system function, it seems that its not all by mistake