Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Other Senses

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Luvs2splooj, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I was just thinking, what if we didnt have ears. The only way we would know that there are sounds is through some kind of scientific evidence. The only thing we would know is there is the vibrations.
    Which made me think, what else cant we sense? We cant sense gravity, the only way we know its there is because we can see and feel the effects from it. I wonder how much there is that we cant sense or see.

I always think of stuff like this when i go to smoke a joint by myself, i dont know if its the weed or just that its the only time ill just sit and think.

Deep thoughts ftw :smoking:

2. Sound is produced by vibrations...

3. I know, Im saying that without ears all we would know is that there IS vibrations, we wouldnt know that these vibrations have a sound(in the way we think of sound). We would just know that vibrations are happening.

4. Bats (some or all) have very poor eyes. They 'see' by rappidly clicking and sensing how long it takes for the sound to get back and/or how loud it is. This is how they generate a map of their surroundings. They see how we hear. There's actually a video of a blind person doing this sort of clicking, which helps him navigate.

Everything we're sensing is just a representation of the world. For example, nothing is inherently blue, that's just how we perceive it because of evolution. Other animals may see blue as a different color. They may also be able to see more or less 'colors' or frequencies of light than us. So different frequencies of light are an example of something we can't directly sense.