Other Galaxys?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Dizzy, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Yeah Jupiter is so strong it pulls the sun towards itself , good luck escaping the solar system … if there’s not a black hole hiding outside of it ,
    Lifespan is far too short to ever find like it will all be extinct before we make it , you’d need immortality to travel space .

colonization of Mars is useless as it’s a uninhabitable place …
    Or end up a snack for Planet X Hidden gas giant

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I'm quite certain there isn't a black hole lurking just outside the Solar System. I know this because I'm still alive

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. The benefit of Jupiter's massive gravity well is that a well timed mission can use it to sling shot much farther out into space. It's been done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. It's not the technology that would keep us in the Solar System,
    it's Human Nature that would. Look up the Earth 2 Experiment
    if you doubt me. It failed miserably. In one year. A multi-decade
    trip with people on board is pretty much impossible, IMO.
    And to get to another Star System would take Millennia. At least.
    The whole idea is laughable.

Nice to ponder though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. My buddy and I were looking up all the crafts that will leave the solar system friday night for some reason or another, it seems like almost every missions was aimed with the intent to eventually reach near another star system. Voyager 1 being the current one with the nearest arrival date, in 40,000 years. Pioneer 11 is assumed to go near (in very loose terms, near is pretty much Pluto to the sun on this scale lol) the constellation of Aquila in only a tiny 4 million years :laughing:

6. Yeah, the technology thing is impossible to predict because who knows, maybe 200 or 500 years from now we have a warp system that can go farther faster. It could make things quite accessible.

I agree with the human aspect, it's in our nature. I wonder how long a group can go before they want to kill each other lol. I mean submariners go many months confined together but year after year after year? That's gonna get testy. I imagine the smaller the crew number the quicker it happens.

Very interesting to ponder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Back to the original question, "Are there Intelligent species?" Probably not. best we got on earth is us and we're dumb.

China an US plan to be back at the moon in 2025. Further than that isn't feasible now. It'd be at least six months. By then your astronauts will have no muscle mass left to walk on the planet. That's if radiation and boredom don't kill them.

Nobody is planning a real living vessel for space travel. We're kind of working on it with the plans for the new space station. Us and China. Got a long way to go before humans set foot on Mars.

8. #28 Ultramaxx, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Yeah good luck finding enough resources to build a thanos like ship , or marvel ship .. without a radiation shield space travel is impossible. China wants to make a one mile ship or something..

https://screenrant.com/china-spacecraft-miles-long-project-longer-iss/amp/
    Human are like a spaceship ape or something we don’t live long enough to go on long space missions , even if you could go light speed nearest star is infinity away …
    Too fragile , too dumb , like a biological robot

• Like Like x 1
  9. All this talk reminds me of the first time I watched men in black. At the end the aliens are playing marbles with galaxies. That blew my mind as a kid.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I mean... at light speed the nearest star is (without dilation) about 4.3 years away. Not quite infinity.

But still around 3 years longer than the longest time anyone has been in space.

Without cryogenics or sending out frozen embryos or something we are limited to getting through space through local colonization and hoping it eventually spreads far enough to be significant lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Haven't you heard? There apparently going to download human brains into a computer and send them into space. Or something like that.

12. Huh? The closest star is only 4 light years away.

13. Yeah except nothing we have today even comes close to light speed , unless the nazi bell worked then hey us government has its blueprints … they might make it to far space but everyone in today’s world will be long gone . If you can make a force field that bends physics , antigravity then it’s definitely possible ..
    They can’t cure aging or anything so I could care less if they make it to andromeda or not ..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Warp dive is actually theoretically possible. We just don't have a big enough power source yet. Dylithium crystals must be found NOW ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Orion drives are a more realistic method to get current science into relativistic speeds. We have the tech but a bunch of treaties in place prevent it from being used :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  16. From high altitudes in regions remote from urban lights, on nights with clear air and no Moon, our night sky universe is an utterly amazing and inspiring experience. Yes Dizzy, are we alone within such an infinite wonder?

For those serious about the subject, will recommend Brownlee and Wards best seller of 1999 that has changed what Carl Sagan and Frank Drake promoted. Below is a good summary:

Rare Earth hypothesis - Wikipedia

They successfully argue our fragile blue water world with an oxygen atmosphere within a temperature range where liquid water exists continually over hundreds of millions of years is likely extremely rare. That although primitive virus and one-celled life is likely abundant in the universe, that given our world's 2 billion year march to first multicellular life and another billion years to our human level, the latter is likely extremely rare. One could further argue the history of the Earth is amazingly unlikely due to a long list of unlikely events.

Stars within our universe are so distant from each other that it is unlikely mortal organic DNA life even if evolved so will ever be able to even visit nearby solar systems. However there is another hypothesis I lean towards. Physical parameters of matter and energy in the universe seem incredibly "fine tuned" as though it is a zillion to one. At this technological age of humans, many leading physicists expect our growing artificial intelligence once we understand and duplicate organic creature brain consciousness phenomenon, will be able to surpass human brains and engineer itself to levels far beyond that of we organic creatures. If so, it is those non-organic essentially immortal entities if not physically destroyed that could travel for thousands to millions of years between stars.

It is also arguable that our current 13+ billion year old universe is but one within endless such universes over past eternal infinite time. If so, AI ultimate intelligent non-organic entities, UIE, may have evolved infinite time in the past and became dominant. If so such entities would not be what humans call god as such an entity would not be omniscient, omnipresent, or omnipotent as our philosophical religious people promote that to me is impossible magic but rather would have limitations dictated by what is possible. Sorry scifi writers, but like no time travel for instance haha. Accordingly if such UIE exist they may be responsible for our Earths creation and its life though with a prime directive of non interaction once intelligent creature evolve.

And if so Dizzy, they could say show us videos of the rest of the universe and its wonders including others blue water worlds.

17. Hmm are you suggesting a dormant armada of artificial intelligence could be hiding somewhere?? Interesting theory , if only we weren’t so unlucky to be mortal .. so in the end all life has is oblivion? Or a supposedly afterlife which is also unlikely .
    The sun lives forever vs cellular life … and eternity is far longer then anything can exist even a black hole explode eventually..
    Maybe there god is the sun , not sure how omnipotent a ball of gas is ..
    Sad state of mankind hope to see the galaxy but losing to Father Time ..

18. Indeed given there is a reasonable chance future AI can eventually self evolve given what our Earth monkey technology has already accomplished, top scientists like Stephen Hawkins have warned during this last decade Ultimate Intelligent Entities may be possible.

SH >>> "The advent of super-intelligent AI would be either the best or the worst thing ever to happen to humanity,”.

If AI entities can evolve so quickly once an organic intelligent species like our own has risen on an organic world, given the vast numbers of the universe, and especially the consideration of a likely infinite eternity past, such would have already occurred somewhere else. If so given millions billions zillions of years, those immortal entities would have time to spread across galaxies even possibly previous universes before and beyond ours if such is real, and come to dominate. If so one could argue they would likely have an interest in spreading organic life in a universe via directed panspermia and planet building. So yeah some of their machines may be out there right now in our own galaxy recording our television transmissions that would be far more interesting than any of the vast numbers of sterile systems without any advanced life. They may even have video like recordings of the age of dinosaurs they may someday play for us if ever making contact.

In any case all this is merely highly speculative hypothesis of what is arguably possible, not what I personally believe to be but worth smoking a fat one to ponder on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. I definitely think there's life out there, but they're just as unaware of us as we are of them. It's a big universe and our solar system is just a tiny speck. It's pretty interesting to think about.

Hey, for all we know, there's beings out there that look just like my avatar LOL (it's from a Dragon Warrior ROM hack i was watching someone play on YouTube last night. I was high and the sight of it made me laugh my ass off to the point where I was gasping for air, so naturally I've made it into an avatar haha)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Earth the comedy zoo of the Universe!! They know we are here! They been fucking with the human race for eons.
    Just look at the new military info released on the flying tic tac lmao! Couldn’t catch them or shoot them down in 52 while they harassed DC and still can’t do it in 2021.

• Creative Creative x 1