OSG's 'Golden Goodness' - Isomerized Frozen Hash Oil Crystals

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by oldskoolgrower, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Also when I let it sit for 10 min in the oven I get a nice texture but when I let it go for 15

After freezing and scraping the 15 min batch is gooey at room temp where the 10 min holds its texture

2. Yeah boy!!!!!!!!

3. Can't wait to try this out with an lb of trim and oz of stems

4. #704 Im blunter, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    Ok I'm confused... I thought isomerization involved refluxing a hash oil and hexane mixture with sulphuric acid, to yield THC in its acetate form, which is different than isolated cannabinoids, THC-acetate is to THC, what heroine is to opium, I've read its even made using the exact process of turning opiates into heroine which is kinda weird when you think about it.
    Cannabis is a medicinal joy, whereas opiates are addictive and destructive, kinda like a Good/Evil thing :bongin:

I'm pretty sure what you did in this method was called Decarboxylation, isomerization only occurs in either the above mentioned technique or I have also read isomerization is possible under UV radiation.

5. I have a problem that maybe someone could shed some light on. I followed this recipe with a small amount of bud and the results were perfect,for me. I have an Atmos Thermo W and just a drop of this would vape perfect with big smooth hits. My battery broke and they sent me a new one.

After receiving my new battery, I made another batch, but much larger. The end result was more what the OP had shown in the pictures. It was more powdery/flakey. It is very easy to ball up. I can freeze it and it turns rock hard. On my finger it starts getting gooey very quick. When I put it in my vape pen, it never does get runny enough to drip on my heating element. I can stir it around and sometimes I can get it to directly sit on the element and get a good hit that way. This stuff is potent, but seems like the only way to smoke it would be on a nail or as a bowl topper. I did the hot knife method and on the outside of a cigarette. These ways work, but it wasted so much compared to my pen.

I may have messed up somewhere in the process compared to the 1st time, and I am not too worried about that. I'll get the kinks worked out. My question is, is there any way to break this down into more of an oil? I have about 3 grams and want to be able to use it in my pen instead of wasting it with other heating methods.

BTW, great recipe. I have tried various methods with different solvents and this produces the most return. I will continue to work this recipe out until it's perfect. I have a Magical Butter Machine which I have learned how to make VERY VERY strong butter and coconut oil. I have perfected a firecracker recipe and found the secret to making the most potent filling possible, so it just takes practice.

Thanks in advance for any help that someone can slide my way. :)

6. Hey OSG great great info  couple  questions on the cure process when u put it on low heat ur talking on top of the stove right also what would u consider to be low? The lowest setting on the stove? last question when u say cure over night what exactly do u mean? after i evap the iso off do i just set it out?  where does it need to be while its curing over night thanks in advance bro. 

7. Forgot one do u leave it in the the baking pyrex while u evap on top the stove?

8. But terpenes degrade at such a low temp i think limonene is 130 and your going too 220? Thats thereason for the vac so you dont have to hit those high temps Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. why not use organic grape? Atleast everclear over iso if u cant get the organic grape?Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

10. The temperature is required for the proper processing of the THC, we are not worried about terpenes here.  Low means LOW and be careful as it's flammable. 

11. Terpenes allow thc to interact with your endocannabinoid system the werc shop did a blind test with oil with highe terps low thc cbd and low terps and crazy thc and the people got higher off the one with higher terps js it takes more than thc to get high Sent from my LG-LS970 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. Of course it does.  It takes a variety of cannabioids for a good high, and those are all preserved by this method.  Terpenes have minimal effects and are mostly aromatic.  They are also not all removed by this process.  This is just a way to get extremely potent oil with regardsd to cannabinoid content.  Judging from the fact that it still has flavor I'd say there are plenty of terpenes left ;)

13. lol!

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Thanks you oldskoolgrower for the guide!!! I tried a few times now and it has worked out great! 

Has anyone ever played with the times for the decarb? I saw a graph on http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/ that I thought would suggest a better yield at the 27 minute at 252 F mark. Either way this stuff is killer just wondering if anyone has played around with it.

I though of trying a few different batches at different times but I don't think I would be able to tell from consumption what is stronger.

Cheers and mega thanks OSG!! 

15. Great guide.  I've never seen these techniques used in QWISO.  I am excited to try.

Question:  Does QWISO need to be vac purged?

16. No you don't need a vac, just takes a while

• Like Like x 1
  17. #718 Buffalo Soldat, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
    What kind of cartridge are you using? If you don't have one I recommend trying a Gentleman brand stainless V2 cartridge. When I load crumbles into mine I do not heat them and drip them into the cartridge. I dump a few crumble bits into the cartridge and use a small butane torch to apply heat to the outside of the stainless cartridge while spinning the cartridge. This gets everything melted down to the element. Be careful applying the heat, too much and you will start vaping your oil a bit. If you have a globe type pen cartridge this isn't an option. This is one reason why I prefer a stainless V2 cartridge to a glass globe cartridge.

18. #719 master_min23, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    Hey oldskoolgrower,

I've scoured the web for the best information on how to make the best iso hash.
    I plan on doing it as soon as I get a response from you, and I appreciate afters years of the original post that you still answer our questions, much respect.
    So my questions for optimization are as follows:

1) Does it make sense to submerge the mason jar in a salt/ice/water bath to keep it cold when mixing?
    2) Should I also cool the iso? I read that you stated it would hinder the ability for the thc to absolve/dissolve into the alcohol, so would heated or warm iso be best? or just room temp?
    3) Should i clean my oven if it is somewhat dirty, at 220 do you think oven partciles will get in it?
    4) I've done a much less thorough method years ago and remember having kief stuck on the inside of my coffee filters, is that accurate? And is this substance on the inside of the filter worth letting evap also?

19. frozen iso and bud is best, alcohol will pull a lot of chlorophyll if you do it warm