Ornamental Flower Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Wow, love all the newest lilies @Organic sinse. My toad lilies have not even broken ground yet. I'm not sure they will, something may have eaten them or dug them up. How are yours looking?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thanks TimJ. I have a dozen Toad Lilies up that are 1’-1 1/2’ tall. No buds or blooms yet. They seem to grow slow, at least the first year. My Sis hasn’t had hers bloom yet down in GA either. This fall I want to take stem cuttings and grow some inside.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  3. I'll have to assume something has eaten mine then. No growth from them has shown above ground. What I received from Brecks looked like a few small rhizomes the size of maybe 120 lb. test mono. I wasn't impressed and didn't have much confidence they would grow. Oh well, I'll try again with a different vendor.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I got a mix from Brecks. It wasn’t broken down into colors strains or anything, just Toad Lily mix qty 12. Almost all came up and I ended up with more than 12 stems. They did better than the other 3 strains I bought from various suppliers. I bought packs of Blue Wonder, Empress, and Tojen from other places. Most of those just barely pushed up anything. I hope that by taking some stem cuttings of the coolest ones after bloom, I can multiply my population over the winter.
    Still hoping I get some blooms this year.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  5. I only got the small pack of 3 from them. I'm happy yours grew for you and with some luck you'll have those stem cuttings take as well. All the varieties you chose are great ones too. I may see what my favorite local nursery has to offer. Maybe not toad lilies. But, I always leave with something. It's also time to plant mums here.

• Like Like x 3
  6. 463BC5D5-516C-423D-BBAC-94FBEF443621.jpeg Happy to have some Marigold blooms. I added some broccoli seeds to this large tray planter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. It would be nice to find some Toad Lilies already established in pots. Grannie Sinse found some this spring somewhere so it’s possible.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  8. @TimJ
    I snapped some pics of my Toad Lilies and checked some dates in my notebook.
    The best performing Toad Lilies are ones from the mix we were talking about. I started four roots in containers on my porch on 4/21. It’s was still below freezing at night, but I just did what I do for regular Lilies, just a little later timeframe. They didn’t peek above the surface of the containers until 6/18. Two months to show green! I transplanted them into new beds on 7/14. They all grew nice clumps. They look like this now.
    There is a clump of three in the center.
    Close up.
    There is a clump on each side, and slightly in front of the Stargazer. These look like they are throwing up some extra foliage down low. I think they might bloom from the bottom up like a normal lily does.
    Here is a Toadlily from the same mix I direct planted in a bed on 5/13. It’s way behind the others.
    A common thing I have seen with the Empress, Tojen, and Blue Wonder is just a leaf popping up. After a long time they develop into plants but it’s easy to accidentally pull em thinking they are weeds.
    The pic below is a Toadlily that has two single leaves popped up but a void between. Been that way for months.
    Kind of makes me think I should have planted the roots vertical and not horizontal.
    This Stargazer started opening while I was snapping pics.
    First Oriental Lily of the season.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Nice lilies. I'm convinced mine were eaten by a vole. In the flower bed I planted them I see a few holes. I wouldn't have weeded them and I don't believe the girlfriend would have either. Beautiful Star Gazer lily @Organic sinse . That is one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Thanks. Damn voles!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  11. Speaking of voles anything to naturally repel them from out gardens. I have a ton of tunneling in my raised beds.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. This article may help. It also helps you determine whether you have moles or voles.
    Voles

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Lynx and Ermin seem to work well.
    Do they raid you beds in the winter or summer? I have some tips if it’s winter time under the snow that’s your issue. Let me know and I’ll post those tips.
    Neem seed meal seems to discourage most mammals. I use that in the summer. I don’t think it will repel an existing population.
    Mouse traps baited with peanut butter works amazing! Put some type of box or ‘cubby’ over an active hole. You want it just big enough to fit the mousetrap, and tall enough to let the swing arm swing freely when the trap springs. You want an opening in the box on one end, and what will be the bottom, totally open. So a 5 sided box, with one side have a small hole at the bottom. Cardboard taped to size works good until it gets rained on a bit. Put the box over the hole for a couple days and leave it alone. Then add the baited trap. Check it everyday. move it to another hole when that one drys up.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mostly in the summer and I’m pretty sure they’re moles. thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  15. I have both moles and voles on my property. Moles leave miniature volcanoes at their tunnels entrance and tend to leave the bugs bunny tunnels protruding from the lawn.. Voles have pretty flat entrance and tend to dig deeper tunnels.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Up here the red capped voles run around on the lawn, under the snow. They leave crazy trails on top of the grass from their repeated traffic. They dig up bulbs like crazy. One of the reasons I put rocks around all my beds is to deter this traffic. The run under the snow and come to a rock wall and turn. It seems to work. Another good tip, which I don’t do intentionally, is to let the garden surface get a thin freeze on it in the fall, before adding straw mulch for the winter. They can’t penetrate the frozen surface.
    I usually fall/winter mulch straw early cause I’m afraid it will snow and not get done at all.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. Beautiful lilies Os. That pink is one I haven't seen and now must have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. That’s the bummer about buying a bag of bulbs labeled “Asiatic Lily Mix 12 bulbs”. You just don’t know what you really have.
    Hard to beat pink with spots. She has a neighbor that will be lighter and even more stunning. Opening soon.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  19. So pretty

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Agree Agree x 1