Ornamental Flower Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Jun 24, 2020.

• Like Like x 4
  1. Unknown lily and petunias that started solid purple and have started going white and a California poppy 20210615_200512.jpg 20210615_200353.jpg 20210615_130348.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. E5040D02-5777-47F5-8B12-6859C7CFB8F5.jpeg DE17A2CC-6C50-4F5E-8FFD-655908F8BCA7.jpeg This flower looks like a pinwheel from the top. Anyone know what it is? Neighbors yard. .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Fascinating! I want to know also

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Looks like a thornapple aka datura stramonium

Sent from my happy place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. #508 TimJ, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Two of my Zinnias and two of my delphiniums.It's pretty windy so my photo's are not the best. 20210616_155650.jpg 20210616_155614.jpg 20210616_155750.jpg 20210616_155816.jpg

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  6. That's Sacred Datura (Datura Wrightii). I ate some of the roots when I was younger and dumber than I am now. I ate enough to feel very drunk, and when I went out to eat with my family at a new restaurant later that evening, I couldn't read the letters on the menu. Lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. I have also heard that incorrectly referred to as moonflower, due to its large white flower that’s popular in moon gardens. The true moonflower is imopea, same family as morning glory.
    I bet they look cool at in the moon light.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. They DO look good in the moonlight, they grow wild all over SoCal - yards, trails, freeways, empty lots....everywhere. Around here we also incorrectly call them Jimsonweed.
    Never heard of the moonflower (until you mentioned it and I Googled it), but all the ones mentioned so far have a very similar flower shape.
    Are they all poisonous?
    *Edit - they are all the Datura family and they are all hallucinogenic/poisonous.
    The Tongva people that occupied the Los Angeles area used it in ceremonies.
    Datura - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 3
  9. I read up on these a few years back as the town road crew used fill that was seeded with them. From what I researched there is a fine line between getting high and death. I wouldn't mess around with it. Weed is all this guy needs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. There was a local legend of three teens that ate a bunch and went up into the mountains hallucinating for 3 days....when they found them, it's said they were butt-naked eating dirt and saying it was cheeseburgers and fries. Lol. It's what prompted my friends and I to try it....haha.
    Never again, it sucks. I'm with you, I'd be happy with just weed, a few extras is just bonus heh

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I thought this was interesting about the origin of the name Jimsonweed.

Authorities differ on the origins of the plant, but it was apparently introduced into America at a very early date. The settlers of Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement (1607) in the New World, brought the plant with them and it thrived along the Virginia coastline. In 1676, the uprising known as Bacon's Rebellion took place as a result of Governor William Berkeley’s refusal to commission an army to protect the Virginia frontiersmen from Indians and other grievances. Nathaniel Bacon raised an unauthorized army against which the governor sent his troops.

Near Jamestown many of the governor’s ill-equipped, famished soldiers devoured the thorny fruits of a plant growing in profusion thereabouts and promptly died. Shortly thereafter, Bacon himself, aged 29, died suddenly “of a mysterious fever called the ‘Bloodie Flux.’” Some historians have conjectured that he, too, may have eaten the same fruits.

Thereafter, the plant was known as "Jamestown weed" — a designation that in time became "jimson weed." By any name, it has a long and lethal history.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I went back and took this pic when it had opened up

300EA8FE-59DF-4612-AA61-2C8D2D182B7C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Lovely!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  14. Here's a brief bit about the Thornapple aka Jimsonweed aka Devil's Snare.

"The sinister thornapple (Datura metel) is a powerfully hallucinogenic plant in the nightshade family. Thornapple reached medieval Europe from India. (At a later date, datura was used by the cult of the Thugee, who practiced ritual murder in the service of the goddess Kali, to drug their victims.) The psychotropic properties of Datura were exploited in the famous “flying ointments” used by European witches. At least some medieval and Renaissance writers recognized that the sensation of flying through the air, and other experiences reported by witches, were not due to demonic agency, but were induced by the use of psychotropic plants."
    I though it was interesting that Thugs are mentioned, made me think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, where he battles the Thugee cult...Kali Ma Shakti de! Lol

• Like Like x 3
  15. That is a fine specimen

• Like Like x 3
  16. While the possibility for other uses looms, I'm currently satisfied with the emotional reward of these highlighting my wrought iron sculpture early each day. Apologies for the fuzzy pic.
    -2348750026679181800.jpg

• Like Like x 5