Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Origin of "joint"

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by marijuanauser, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Where did the name "joint" come from, its a universal name for a marijuana cigarette. What country, or person made it up?

2. its just a name. where did the name blunt come from or bong? just names man lol joint sounds a lot better then marijuana ciggerette

3. lol like who wants to say "Yea bro, lets go smoke a marijuanna cigarette" it sounds better when your saying 'let's smoke a joint/bone"

4. who knows, its near imposible to pinpoint the origin of slang words because they spreads by word of mouth

5. well yes.. but every word has its origin

im curious myself now:smoking:

EXPAND MY BRAIN, MARY JANE!!!

6. there's no real such thing as just a word, every word comes from some place.

but can you believe that even joint has a wikipedia page! i love america

By 1821, "joint" had become an Anglo-Irish term for an annexe, or a side-room "joined" to a main room. By 1877, this had developed into U.S. slang for a (usually shady) "place, building, establishment", especially referring to an opium den. By 1935, "joint" was being used to refer to the hypodermic needles used to inject heroin and other drugs; this may have been influenced by the secondary meaning of "joint" in the sense of something done "in common" or shared. Its first usage in the sense of "marijuana cigarette" is dated to 1938.

Joint (cannabis) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia