Organics Lounge

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mosesnumb, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Would a large grow bag make a good composter?

• Like Like x 2
  2. I bet they would work well as a slow/cold composter. Might be a pain for hot composting depending on your strategy for emptying and turning the contents.
    I also bet they would work good for making leaf mold.
    Happy Turkey day everyone.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Do you think it will sink roots deep enough in the ground to keep from tipping over in high winds? Fruit trees must get really heavy. I know that with a traditional tree transplants, the trickiest thing is to get the roots to grow into the native soil. The trick is usually to make extra large holes. Then they are backfilled with a mix of native and new soils. The farther you get from the rootball, the lower the amount of new soil in the backfill.
    I know you have that hard red clay “fire brick” soil, so a huge hole isn’t desirable to dig. What might work is to mix some good soil with native soil into the surface below and around the pot. Then also bank up a blend of the soils to the sides of the pot. That should help them transition into the native soil better.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  4. the whole issue still remains , i havent soil, just slates of rock , i could dig out or jack hammer out a spot as big as a truck and sift the soil from it and might fill a wheel barrow, hahahah
    i took a apple and said i was gonna grow a tree , the wife said ya right, so that was my clue to show her i could, so i took the 4 seeds and did the wet paper towel tick and put in the fridge
    completly forgot about them ,so she went to complaining of all my KNF ferments in the fridge, so i cleaned it all out and found the seeds A YEAR LATER hahahah
    dang things had tails on them in just a day out of the fridge , i was fixing to toss them and opened the towel and there they were, so i put them into solo cups , cant remember how long it was , but with me im guess at the least a month or until spring planting came about , i had 4 trees doing great without any attention what so ever, once i seen they were gonna grow i put them in 15 gal nursery pots and now the dang things are 4 ft tall and i got to get them from those pots hahahha .
    so the plan is to take them bags and cut a circle out of the bottom of them , depends how big they are as to what the circle will be .
    since im not really using the bottom garden much i figure the food web will bounce with the addition to fruit trees beside the beds , build up that myco and all .
    im pretty sure two of them will turn out full trees so i got 2 of them bags and i will just buy some garden soil to fill the bags and then build up around the bags with leaves and let them compost down,
    that peach tree i did same thing with took 3 years but is sitting on a slate of rock and all the soil from the 12 ft round ring has built up to were the tree is 5 ft now, all leaves and alfalfa plus cardboard , this one up by the retaining wall is 5 ft too, i jack hammered a hole and planted that one the same time , got 1 peach from it this year hahah
    one thing for sure proved ole mama i could do it , both in rock and in nursery pots hahahah had a fellow at the nursery tell me the apples wont grow, tree will but never produce , dont matter to me growing a tree is better than rocks hahahah

• Like Like x 2
  5. Way to go and way to show Mama you can do whatever you set your mind to!
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
  6. right now im mad at her, she made me go back for seconds lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. She made you, ya right!!! She probably made ya eat two pieces of pie as well. Happy Tday!
    Cheers
    Os

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. My sisters dog died last night and she just wasn’t up for anything so we scrapped our plans and made salmon patties. I hope everybody had/has a safe and nice holiday weekend. I’ve got a year to work on this dressing recipe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Salmon patties can be fun. Do you have a fav recipe?
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  10. Just mixed the salmon with cracker and egg to pat them out and fry. I really enjoy them with mustard on a biscuit like Slingblade but I’m out of the frozen ones and I can’t make a biscuit. I hate them with onions inside but a lot of people do.

• Like Like x 2
  11. That sounds pretty tasty. I try all manner of crazy sauce on them from hot mustard to sweet n sour to Siriachi. I’m all ears when it comes to any salmon recipes, as I have a lot to work with.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  12. For some reason I’ve liked mustard on salmon and tater tots since I was a kid. I love to grill it tho I haven’t in years. I got a brand new big grill w smoker right as I quit drinking a decade back and it’s still new in the building and I haven’t cooked out in that long. I made breakfast sometimes on the Coleman too but just lost interest for some reason. I guess it’s this damn gardening. I’d have went wild years ago in salmon country like you are.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I like mustard on salmon. When I broil fillets, I mix up a little honey and spicy mustard or Dijon with a touch of balsamic vinegar. I baste that on the fillets, reapply half way through, and use some for a table sauce at the end. It’s my favorite “Fancy Salmon” recipe that is really my “I’m Lazy” recipe. It looks like a million bucks at the end and is virtually zero work.
    Cheers
    Os

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. I used to get it broiled in a restaurant that was out of this world. I haven’t been in that area in some time either so I don’t know if it’s still there.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HLG lighting is having a heckuva sale right now. I’m down to only 1 working 600w HPS. I’m thinking I may just step into some LED.

• Like Like x 2
  16. They make some real nice gear. The fixtures with really spread out boards are the ticket. Or lots of small fixtures, especially if they are on sale.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thanks Sinse. They make heat sinks that are supposed to hold 3 boards. I was thinking of only putting 2 boards on them for that reason.

• Like Like x 2
  18. That’s the right strategy.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  19. The last property I owned I grew 5 English Walnuts, 2 each of peach,pear,apple,cherry and 1 plum tree. I had fractured shale rock with about 6"of top soil. I used a digging/tamping bar similar to this one.
    https://www.acehardware.com/departm...Z_rOdNOLzifDw7AU6aBoCnQoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Along with a post hole digger to remove broken rock. It's too cold outside for a picture of mine. It took a few days of digging each hole about 24-30" in diameter and 3-4' deep. I sifted the rock-n-soil and added 50% compost with it. Then planted. All my trees produced fruit and nuts. They did take 3-5 years depending on the variety.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. I run 2 of their QB260 kits and one of their QB135 Bspec. I find the heat sinks for the QB260's to be fine for 2 boards. I runs both QB260's in my 3x3 and or 4x4. The QB135 is great for vegging a 3x3 or flowering a 2x2 in the Rspec lamp.

• Like Like x 1