Organics guerrilla style

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by NOVA, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Calling all guerrillas who are organic...Ive been looking at running tea's for this year but I'll be 100% guerrilla, cant have tea's at the house with air stones. I'll be grabbing water from a deep clean stream near my plots and Im looking to be running a tea that includes; worm castings, sea bird guano, bat guano, liquid kelp, and unsulphered black strap molasses.

What I was thinking is going the day before watering and mix up some fresh batches and let each batch sit out at the plot with the plants till the next day (roughly 24hrs) then use it...will I have any issues with bacteria/micro's in tea not having enough o2?

The only other thing I can think of doing is making the tea in the morning then 12hrs later take a cement mixer and drill and churn up the tea real nice to aerate it that way then let sit over night till the feeding.

2. I'm a noob. I have a thought / question in regards to this:

Would battery operated air-pumps or live-well pumps be too cost prohibitive? They could be used only when you need them, use them on-site. When not in use, just leave 'em in a covered tub.

Seems easier to me than a cement mixer and drill....

3. Well I have a cement mixer attachment for a drill and a drill...so its cheaper and I can bring it with me each time. The less I leave at my sites the higher probability they will make it to harvest. Certain things stand out to people and air craft and if you make someone ask a question they will go searching for the awnser and unfortunately my plot would be the awnser. And also cost does figure into this. I am buy the essentials, little bit of amendment soil, wc, sbg, bg, liquid kelp, neem seed meal and a few other meals to amend the current soil plus pulverized dolomite lime to even everything out.

4. Thanks for the explanation!

Makes sense. I was trying to figure out which is better, carry the bare necessities every visit or stashing the stuff and carrying less when hiking into the spot.

5. #5 Possuum, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
    It’s a great question. I think it wiser to mix it on site, let it steep for a bit, pour it on, and use the matter that’s left and top dress your plants. That's what I'd do and have done.

chunkdaddy0 and lumperdawgz have the most authoritative opinions on teas and extracts IMO. Given your situation I would focus on an extract, apply it, and let outdoor nature run it’s course. Teas are probably only practical for controlled environments.

Make sure your water bucket is camouflaged sUpA. One wouldn’t expect to see a guerilla hauling a bucket of water in the woods! :D

Or even better yet! On your next grow use one of the outstanding organic soil mixes described here in the thread and just plan on plain water for 90% of the grow and only add an extract or top dressing once in veg and once in flower. That's what I plan on doing next indoor grow... water only. All the nutrients for the entire grow will be in the soil from get go.

6. Thanks 38 :) I'm spending this season reading up on organic soil mixtures so all thats needed is water and the occasional feeding like you said, but this year I got back into town too late in the prep season to have all my soils amended, baked and ready to use. If I can get away with my tea idea I will be using whats left in the straining sack as a top dressing for the plants. Hopefully this time next year I'll have a safe place to prep my soils and to have an indoor grow going so I can put seeds and clones out.

Hopefully lumperdawgs or chunkdaddy0 come through here so I can pick their brains and see what they think :)

7. sUpA nOvA D9,

The ideal situation is a highly aerated tea.I don't think that's gonna happen in your situation. You can introduce DO through agitation of the water surface. (think powerhead aquarium pump) but trying to use the drill/mixer would not be a good way either, as you would need to do it for 18-26 hrs. I agree with possum38, and extract or a slurry would be the best way to go.

I would suggest however adding an endo mycorrhizae/bacterial inoculant to each planting hole. This will get the root system colonized, and regular applications will keep a lively colony. This stuff here will get the bacteria up without aeration.

Although I only grow indoors, I always add MycoApply® Endo Plus from Mycorrhizal Applications.

Add the powder to your planting holes/mix and water in with your extract/slurry. This establishes a healthy mycorhizae colony as soon as the myco touches roots. I usually will add a 1/2 tsp of granules at each transplant but you can just use once and you're good to go. Once colonized, the myco will grow.

With a few applications of the bacterial inoculant, you'll have in effect what would amount to mild ACT applications and should have a vibrant microbe colony.

HTH

chunk

8. sup supa,well i know u been to maui and you know we grow guerilla here.Are u growing pots or in the ground....lmk can help u alot on how we do it here and help you with ferts and etc...Rippa

9. If it's a soil drench, you don't really need to worry about the o2 factor. If it's going to be a foliar spray, might add some hydrogen peroxide.

10. Adding h2o2 to a compost tea I'd say is the worst thing you could do. The radical o2 atom that seperates itself would jump to the benificial bacteria and kill them...

Hell yeah rippa I know how its done in Maui...damn I wouldn't even need to amend the soils there they are just so rich and lush as it is! LOL

11. Check out the video in the organic tea sticky it talks a little about how bad no oxygen can be in a brew. I would say dig a hole add good soil and let nature do the rest! I think a tea lasts about 6 hours once you stop the air pump perhaps you can brew off site and rush to your site.