Organic with RO water?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Ancient3328, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Just wondering if RO water is better for organic grows than dechlorinated tap water. Usually I would automatically say yes but considering that RO strips the water of almost all minerals and such It led me to wonder whether this was counter productive. If anyone has any info into this question it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you want an opinion here's mine. Growing indoors under artificial conditions, RO water is better for organic grows. If one is concerned about missing mineral content in RO water found in other water sources then ensure it is compensated for the loss through soil ammendments. It's pretty easy to determine what the alkalinity level (hardness, aka: calcium) by reviewing the municipal water report. Other essential elements may or may not be listed.

If you have RO water use it. You can account for any and all so-called losses via other means.

That's anecdotal opinion but I'm not sure you'll find any quantifable research. Well water aside, RO water is a much better source than municipal water for an indoor grow.

How much "waste" water does your RO filtration system generate?  Is that "organic" or "sustainable"?

Better to use your tap water as is.  Maximize the humic component of your soil, and you should have no worries...

4. Bubble your tap water for a couple of days after adding a pinch of compost to activate any chloramine. I keep an 18 gallon tote of water going all the time.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

Not arguing or anything here, but isn't there plenty of organic material in your soil mix?

I don't understand why organic gardeners go through this process with their water...  :confused_2:

6. Just trying to get rid of any chlorine so it doesn't hurt my soul microbes. In the long run, it might not be enough to really matter, but for my peace of mind...

Sent from Chefziggy's Kitchen

7. ChefZiggy

The water to the small town here is straight from the snow melt on Mt. Hood and it is minimally processed, i.e. only chlorine and not chloramine.

I aerate the water on the indoor garden in an attempt to return it to the extent possible back to its original quality & purity.

Just a habit I can't seem to shake. Before we move here we were on well water down the valley a few miles. The water was unbelievably good. Perfect really.

CC

Really! Our water is treated with chloramine, @~3PPM or so. Being from mountain lakes/rivers, it is also under 50 PPM for TDS. After 6 years of using this tap water, 5 of them organic, there has been zero issues with any plants grown. Before here, I was in SoFl and used well water for over 30 years.

Anyway, I was never concerned till I popped some gifted mj seeds and went on some mj sites for advice. Why, I'm not sure since I had been growing fairly rare plants for over 20 years, till hurricane Andrew moved them all to a new location in the Everglades. I then heard about chlorine/chloramine and how everything would just fall over dead if it wasn't removed.

I went for it. Setting it out, bubbling, using the drops, whatever, till back to back major surgeries made that all impossible. Big surprise, nothing changed using straight tap water. I mean, nothing. I still de-chlorinate for things like making AEM and soluble Mycogrow, but for regular waterings, not a chance.

Just my observation. YMMV

Wet

9. I've had ph issues with my tap water. Even after I adjust the ph it rises again after a couple of hours. I bought a pretty cheap under the sink carbon block filter. My ph meter is about to be calibrated so I haven't tested it since the filter has been put on. Anyone know if the carbon filter is a viable substitute for a RO filter? 

Hi I would like to start this first with me saying I am not screwing with you or trying to start something. :bongin:

I would like to know why you feel that RO is better than municipal water? I know you said your this is your opinion , but can you clarify how you formed this opinion? Have you had issues in the past with tap in organic soil?

I am new to the organics forum here so I just wanted to preface my post with the above so I don't come off as disrespectful or a "troll".

Thanks.

11. Thanks for all the opinions guys! Keep them coming!

12. With the appropriate preparation, tap water is perfectly acceptable for organic gardening.

The primary concern with tap water is chlorine and chloramine, both of which can be easily eradicated. Chlorine evaporates over time. Chloramine requires organic matter to break its bond.

Well water would be the only thing to consider, as there could be other "bad things" in it.

I suggest (like others) pulling a water report from your water provider, to gain an idea of what is in your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. No problems with asking. My hide is pretty thick.

My concern with any water source for the indoor garden is alkalinity and it is a force to be reckoned with. I suggest like others have to review your annual water report. Alkalinity is spelled out in the report.

Water quality is a regional topic. Some are fortunate to have good water and others not so much. RO water removes all variables that can potentially and negatively impact pH. That's just my opinion.

Check the local report and chlorine, chloramine, barium zinc, lead, and other elements aside, total alkalinity is what one wants to check as that's the devil in the detail.

Hope this succinctly explains my conerns - alkalinity is the culprit.

Given the preference I would use well water or rain water over city water, but if I did live in the city I would probably just let my watering pail sit out overnight and not give it a second thought. If I hadn't let my water sit out overnight then Id still water and not give it a second thought.

It is my opinion that, while it may not be the most optimal water to use, I just don't think that I'd let the city water bother me that much. I think that around the boards/forums, at least, that I've seen "The Disastrous Effects of Chlorinated Water" taken to the extreme when it probably doesnt need to be.

j

15. Thanks for finding that because I just had this discussion yesterday and I thought the same but since everybody always knows it all can't say nothing