Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. nope , i just ordered 2 bundles yesterday and they will arrive mid nov , i over winter all my onions, they have lasted the last 3 years with our called winters here.
    started two trays of seeds also , this crew here loves the Texas legends , i have Dixondale farms right down the road south and the producers of the strain just north , Texas AM go aggies hahahaha.
    my wife dehydrate them and makes onion powder and salt and the kids rob of all of it.
    all them peppers i grew ,same thing no sooner than they got crushed up for season salts it all disappered, i do still,have around 2 lbs of garlic left only because she hasnt dehydrated it yet.
    but the onions can be ordered now and depending on your area the shipping days are difrent i believe

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I picked up some Big Daddy Hybrid tomato seeds today and have found out so far that it’s from the Big Boy breed (some leap eh?) but is suppose to have good disease resistance. It’s suppose to avg 15 ounces a fruit and looks nice. Just reading up on it set off the munchie radar.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Is that an indeterminate tomato? Those are a lot of fun to grow. Fifteen ounce fruits! Better be on your best support game!
    I’ve grown the “Better Boys” and “Early Girls”. They all seemed to have solid genetics and we’re always healthy. Even in my cool, humid climate they had no issues (other than slower growth, but that’s a given).
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yes it is. I grow the Brandywines that will run like that too. Storms got on me last time and I had one that got bent over and just went along the ground. I will step up the supports and have been looking into the teepee type. They are easy to make and get materials for.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I'm about to start some maters, lettuce, and peppers today. Finally got the ice off my compost piles so I can get around to making some seed starter mix

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Been working a 60x40' plot for the past 2 years. Haven't planted any veggies. This will be my first year. I've been working on the soil fertility. The first year in the winter i added a lot of organic matter. Layers of wood chips and leaves gathered from my property and chipped myself. Then in the first spring I let the native grass do its thing. Chopping and dropping around waist high. First fall tilled everything and sowed a winter cover crop mix. The following spring and summer I chopped and dropped the cover crop all year until this past winter. I let it grow 4" and lay over naturally acting as a mulch layer for this past winter.

And now we are here. This topsoil is like potting soil straight from a bag.

I'm going to hand dig my planting rows and walk paths to disturb as little as possible. Then I plan to till around the perimeter with the tractor and plant a pollinator flower mix.

Screenshot_20230213_101312_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230213_101359_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Some of my pictures aren't uploading. That's lame. Trying to load a picture of the actual footprint but I keep getting an error message

• Like Like x 2
  8. upload_2023-2-13_10-28-45.png

I beat the system lol

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. upload_2023-2-18_10-22-20.png

20230218_101622.jpg

upload_2023-2-18_10-23-58.png

Little dwarf plum tree starting to bloom.

Before long I'll string line off my rows and walk paths and hand dig the walk paths. I've only tilled this area once. Hoping to try and avoid tilling again since the topsoil is primo. May have to tarp it after I dig the walk paths to kill anything/everything off

Probably need to get things lined up and dug out before these native weeds bust through start to seed

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I’m trying to not get accustomed to this nice weather but it’s sure giving me the Spring garden season fever. I’m going for the early start with the hopes of some success before the heat sets in.

• Like Like x 4
  11. 20230224_132204.jpg

Plum tree coming along

• Like Like x 3
  12. Screenshot_20230224_134036_Gallery.jpg

The metal rebar has folded pieces of cardboard between it and the tree to make sure and not damage the plum tree!!

Last year I saw 1 plum, but I had done a reallyyyy late prune in the spring and pretty sure I stunted fruit production. This year I've already opened her up so she's just riding it out. Hopefully have some production this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. The wife and I love the white bloom of our plum tree. I want to get 1or 2 more.

The past 2 years japanese beetles have gone rampid and I was so busy I couldn't stick with an IPM. This year I'm going to stay on top of things. Would a consistent weekly neem application help keep at bay? I'm also going to plant some marigolds, white geranium, chives, maybe some catnip to help as well

20230303_062418.jpg Screenshot_20230303_065929_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. I use the same weekly neem IPM on my plum tree as I do on my outdoor plants. The Japanese beetles will still get the newest growth between applications. But, not as bad as if you don't spray and they devour all the foliage. I also hand pick and crush them.

• Like Like x 3

15. Thanks Tim. That was my main tactic last year and the year before. Just picking and smashing lol. I know the neem will take care of the larvae on the treated plant. Guess there's nothing you can really do except thoroughly pick through them if they're fucking in the walnut tree 30ft away :lmafoe:

I also have black walnut trees on my property which they love. So seems like with great breeding grounds, it'll be a never ending battle lol.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I have learned that raspberry bushes will attract Japanese beetles from miles around. I plant my fruit trees on the opposite side of the property.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2

17. I pulled some existing raspberry plants from my garden when I moved in 3 years ago. They had leaf twist disease I believe it's called? Best option I found was to get rid of the plants. So i did. Since, I've only loaded the garden down with organic matter.

Curious to if the area those original raspberry bushes were, would bring the same issues to something I decide to put there moving forward?

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Japanese beetles choose the single plum tree over the 5 or so rose bushes they used to demolish before I got the plum tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. You may want to take a soil sample from that area and send it off to be tested. I had one area on my last property that I couldn't get anything to grow. When talking to an older neighbor, I was told the owner before me would dump his used oil there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I have had the same experience with my plum tree. They seem to prefer it over everything but the raspberries.

• Like Like x 1