Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. WOW GiMik very nice setup!

2. stopped at the farm and picked up some tomato plants.

2x brandy wine heirloom
    1x "pineapple" heirloom
    2x super sweet cherry toms
    1x Cherokee purple
    1x beefsteak
    and the dude was out of my favorite heirloom, but he was cool enough to take me to the greenhouse and take cuttings for me free of charge..
    gotta love local farms!!

also grabbed a couple parsley plants and some serano peppers..

total cost $12 lol..

0520 028.JPG

We have a couple bales started, I set the bales out in March with a layer of composted manure on them and we planted them a couple weeks ago..

I want a lot more of them. go a bit more vertical like a pyramid shaped raised bed....Next year

strawbale1.jpg

I have a plumb, cherry, pear, nectarine is all. I did have a granny smith apple but my 12 foot tall trellis with my snake gourds fell down in a wind storm last summer and smashed it flat.

Im going to replace it with a grafted tree with 5 types of apples growing on one tree.

Now some of you guys haul in manure. I make it on site along with meat production. here are some baby turkeys in a big pen next to my garden. The chickens clean up the gardens over winter and do light tilling ,weeding and fertilizing while producing eggs and meat.

turks1.jpg

5. @[member="snoopdog6502"] you have a great setup over there dude..

just fucking excellent man!!

6. #46 Tree dogg, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Damn, @[member="GiMiK"], nice spot ya got there!

Edit: and @[member="Snoop"]!

That's it I'm unsubscribing due to jealousy!

7. A-Dub - no San Marzano's? WTF? ;)

Snoop - beautiful setup. One step at a time. I figure I'm pretty lucky with my own manure setup - we've got the horse manure machine and my next door neighbors got cows so we're covered.

I'm down to one chicken tho...

I wont be home tonight but over the next few days I'll get up some pics of what Ive got going on at home. I still have alot more planting to do!

j

8. "Horse Manure Machine" sounds about right. I swear I'd like to set a wheel barrow or something under the butt of my buddy's horses. They crap all day!! Food goes in one end and while they're eating, tail lifts and out comes the shizzzz...lol.

Jerry, I'm snatching another page out your book. I got a 5 gallon bucket with kelp and alfalfa steeping in water. Gonna leave it and just come back to it as I need it. Hopefully the regular kelp application will help the plants build up a better heat tolerance. How often do you use it? Do you dilute it as it sits and gets stronger? Also, do you add anything for bug repellent? Maybe adding some neem cake also?

9. just finished planting the rest of my beets.. gunna have beet and arugula salad for days in a month or so.. 

Nice score AW! 12 bucks is a fuggin bargain man. And purple cherokee's are my favorite! 

Got plenty of san marzano's my way J! :)

10. I read in a gardening book to sprinkle cornmeal. They take it to their nest and they can't digest it. May want to google it.

11. #51 AugustWest, May 20, 2014

i may throw some in later.. wanted to get my faves done first, and then fill in the holes w/ other stuff. But i'm so lazy with the saucing and canning stuff.. so i usually don't run plum type tomatoes.
    I'm a sucker for those big brandy wine heirlooms and the super sweet cherries.. can't fukn wait!!
    i may hold out planting them outside.. it was 39 last night. But they run out so quick over there, i wanted to get some.

laid out 6 #25 smart pots with moose tubers from fedco.
    mixed up some compost, potting soil, kelp, and chicken poo..

all fingerlings:

classic
    Russian banana
    peanut
    red thumb
    purple pelisse
    Austrian cresent

:yummy:

12. I had trouble starting seeds this year. We have some tomatoes in hoop houses to raise the temp and keep the rain off in Oregon.

Have anyone tried growing anything in 5 gallon smart pots. Also have some peppers, tomatillos, cucumber and melon starts. All of the warm weather veggies in Oregon ha

13. #53 jerry111165, May 20, 2014
    Awesome on the Moose Tubers AW! Really, really cool. I dont have any and I want some! I was planting potatoes last night with some other Master Gardeners and some kids at an inner city kind of place run by the Cop Shop. We've got a dozen raised beds that we garden with a group of kids from not-so-nice neighborhoods and they love it.

I was putting in the potatoes and realized I dont have any... and still dont. I need to do something about getting some going!

Tree Dog, lets get some Taters! A-Dub, I am seriously jealous about that list! *lol*

Heres the raised beds we built and garden with the "inner city kids" - not the best pictures but you get the idea. Its good to at least get the kids interested in gardening.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

j

Re: 5 gallon smart pots - yes, I have but Ive found they dry out in the heat of summer so you've got to really stay on top of them. 

Another new dude I havent met - nice to meetcha HA. Stick around awhile.

j

I have some 5 gallon and a few 15 gallon. I wanted to put either tomatoes or melons in some. Would the melons be better off in the 15 gallon? I have some extra 3 gallon as well but I thought it looked too small for my peppers.

Our compost finally decomposed... after a few years :laughing:

Our ground is wet clay so planting in the ground doesn't work too well.

Raised beds are the answer! Actually, Hugel beds are the better answer! Would building a couple of small ones be an option? The results would be drastically better...

j

We have some raised beds but they are being used.. buying dirt seems like such a rip off.

I was going to put a few things in my extra smart pots because we have no more room.

18. I understand. This is one of the reasons I suggested Hugelkultr beds but if you don't have the room then you don't have the room. With the Hugel beds, they are filled up almost 3/4 of the way with old rotting wood from the woods first, and then the top 6" to 8" is covered in soil. I've had excellent results with this.

The extra Smart Pots will work of course, Ive just cursed them in the heat of summer because they dry up so darn quickly - especially the small ones.

j

19. I'm down. I haven't gotten any this year. I had a local variety this winter that was amazing texture and taste. I'll try and source some. Unfortunately I'm still 7 days from seeing my gardens again, but I'll survive. Lol.

wow!!
    that's awesome work man.. and a great cause. you are a good dude. Those kids will remember this for life, it's a big deal man.

i have some extra tubers.. like 3 or 4 of each.. the sprouts are getting kind of long but i wouldn't mind holding on to them for you if you like.
    there isn't a whole lot, but was gonna give them away anyway.