Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. this is gonna be a everyday thing until winter :D 20180816_160623.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. I planted my usual cucumber seeds out on the front porch early spring with my daughter and for some reason when I was filling pots and she was planting seeds I believe she forgot to put the seeds in the cucumber pots.

So no cucumbers for me this year. Kind of a shame because we use a lot of them.

J

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jam!

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I’ve had good luck using Spinosad one day and a couple days later alternating with cold pressed (emulsified) Neem in the past...

Gotta stay on top of it tho.

Hand picking them and dropping them in a pail of water works good also... At least it lowers the numbers drastically...

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Jay - just for the heck of it, try putting some higher N organic fertilizer worked well into the soil around a few of the lighter green plants?

The plants look good but seem to be a little light green? It could also just be the pictures…?

Not sure what you have kicking around but it certainly wouldn’t hurt? Or am I way off base here?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Morning
    My garden was invaded by Morning glories , the dam plants are growing everywhere
    I pull the plants and more grow back.
    They wrap around everything and choke the life out of the other plants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. if i could id drop about 10 lbs off at your farm bro...i grew 2 plants and they exploded with them!

• Like Like x 1
  8. you are correct. i had to topdress with more chicken poo...ill go snap a pick in a bit they look much better!

• Like Like x 1
  9. stiggy you could boil the roots with hot water until they die off

10. today in the garden forcast, rain, cloudy. 20180817_092214.jpg 20180817_091712.jpg 20180817_091742.jpg 20180817_091718.jpg 20180817_092942.jpg 20180817_092718.jpg 20180817_092245.jpg 20180817_092320.jpg 20180817_092423.jpg 20180817_092214.jpg 20180817_091712.jpg 20180817_091742.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. as long as i got tomatoes and zuchinni im happy.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I thought I would post a pic of some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes, right before I grab the ripe ones.
    I didn't get the giant tomatoes I was hoping for, but I got nice tomatoes that are the biggest I have ever been able to grow. This was also the coldest least sunny summer I have had for a long time. It might just be my local, but I had to work super hard with the pruning on these things. I would pinch off a sucker, and 2 more would grow back. No days off in this league. They just grow so fricking fast and big. I tried a couple different pruning approaches, and what I found produced the largest tomatoes, was growing branches out and tying them up. The tomatoes 'close in' to the main stem, never seem to get any size. I grew a couple on my neighbors deck, fully outside. They grew well and made a few toms, but I think it was too cold. I also used the opposite pruning tech. I kept these tight and tall (10' plus). Next round, I will go for a 'T' or cross type of pruning/tying/staking.

As far as taste goes, the ML's are the best! I have been making the best BLT's ever, and a lot of them.

cheers
    os

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Really! Aren't they the best mater sammiches ever? Taste and size and next to zero seeds. I hate unused toms after making a sandwich because it usually ends up getting wasted/uneaten.

Mine are just starting to produce again after all this heat. Found out it's not the daytime temps so much as the nighttime temps. Supposedly if it doesn't drop below 74* at night the don't set flowers and we're just starting to see overnight lows of 73* and 72* and blooms are starting to appear. Plus, that week or so of that wild weather that flooded the east coast mostly missed us except for one storm that nailed us solid and tore everything up, including the ML. More like a SoFl squall that lasted a bit over 1/2 hr. Blue skies to solid rain & 55+mph winds back to blue skies 45 min later. Palm trees are used to that, but not these huge oak and pine trees.

We are sort of in a pocket with some mtns to our north and the Smokies to the west and most weather comes from the south or SE. LOL, in 11 years here, I've only seen snow come from the north, once. We'll check Atlanta weather to see what we'll be getting in a few hours. It's really weird.

For trellising the ML I do an *L* shape of 2x4's and 6x6 wire. Plant one plant along the long leg and one in the corner and train as I can. Tried doing three plants once, but even with the long leg @8' and the short leg @6', three was just too much growth to contend with. Two is almost too much, but only one plant I just won't risk.

Enjoy the ML's!!

Wet

• Like Like x 4
  14. CA1FCD6F-16B7-41C5-AF88-4FD37E55149B.jpeg ED99BD96-C57E-4E20-957A-0C99E3D99EFC.jpeg

Free Food.

My own tomatoes are really just starting to come in strong now - gonna have WAY too many all at once in another week....

Kind of depressing it’s almost September! Some of my peppers are starting to turn red - finally.

But yeah - free food!

• Like Like x 7
  15. Well - it’s Hay Day here on the Compound. ;)

We put up 200 - ok, we CRAM 200 bales of hay in the loft up in the horse barn for Joy each year. We still have 2 bales left from last summer lol - so cutting it close but right on time. The 200 gets her right through the winter and till the next hay season.

Luckily I was able to borrow a tractor from my buddy instead of having to lump it all!

0B999FDD-9AC6-4195-AEBC-673C6E68A003.jpeg E919A1FE-7C71-46D8-83AE-2590AB9BAF75.jpeg

J

• Like Like x 6
  16. always nice to have a good friend with a tractor ;)

17. yum! 20180820_174104.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Well, I’ve been insanely busy this year. I got my garden planted, and it started producing. I had about 3 weeks of harvesting before everything even remotely ripe disappeared. Broccoli got ripped up, tomato cages were torn down, corn knocked over. I went from a grocery bag a day of tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and beans, to nothing.

I started getting discouraged. The plants where growing but something else was enjoying the bounty. I finally found out what, damn woodchuck is living under my porch. He won’t leave. I can trap/poison him, but I don’t do the poison thing, and he doesn’t want to cooperate with the live trap.

I’ve decided the garden needs to go. Little Pablo tomato(that’s his name, since I first spotted him face down in a tomato with a ton of slime on his face) has too free and easy of access to even leave my yard. I’m hoping I can make his food source disappear and maybe he will follow suit. Oh well, next year is another shot, spose I’ll start rehabbing the garden before fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  19. A good fence moved my local groundhog into my neighbor's yard instead lol. I'd take the Andrew zimmer approach and split roast it. Bait with tomatoes? Yeah the little buggers are destructive gotta outsmart them...or roast them.

Wire fencing and rebar seemed to work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jumbo pink banana squash i picked it yesterday... 20180825_122126.jpg and some string beans.

• Like Like x 4