Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, May 19, 2014.

1. Did you plant as seed or root pieces?

The deal with Comfrey is that there are really two types - completely and totally invasive and non invasive sterile varieties.

True, or Common Comfrey will spread and if left alone will take over an area - and you will most likely never get rid of it or at the very least have a hard time doing so.

The Bocking cultivars (Russian) are sterile - the seeds will not grow and this is really what you want.

If I were you I’d get rid of any Common Comfrey you have yesterday and concentrate on your Russian variety.

J

• Like Like x 3
  2. jerry111165,

We're getting a stretch of warm weather here in the PNW. I've opened up my hoop house and this is what it looks like. It stays warm in there but not hot. 001.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Most excellent, Pak. I’ll bet this could give you few extra months of growing season, also…

One clear winner of a hoop house is the intense aroma of growing plants when you walk in, and I’d have to imagine it’s just great with a hoop house full of tomato plants. The smell of vegging tomato plants is exquisite.

It’s like a sore .... well, never mind lol

J

• Like Like x 3
  4. I was at an end of summer plant sale at the local botanical gardens last fall. I was totally surprised to see common comfrey 'starts' in small pots for sale. I have also always been surprised that they grow common comfrey on the grounds, and that it has seemed to stay in the same area for as long as I can remember. I always look off to the sides of the walking paths, expecting to see small comfrey plants here and there. I have never have spotted any.
    That must be luck. I would never be brave enough to bring any home.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 5EB5928C-44A3-413C-B26E-2546769256C8.jpeg

Yes - so this is like, 2 and just a part of a third... they seem to be getting bigger every year.

J

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. They love all that Almond Joy compost ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Well then I'd say 3 would be sufficient enough for my size of a grow. I can fit 6 plants in our room comfortably but prefer 4 bigger plants. 3 comfrey plants would make plenty of worm food/plant nutrients for us.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I bet you’d find you’d want to use it on your outdoor gardens as well. Once you have it you’ll find you’re using it everywhere. I would take it and rejuvenate used potting soil with it - I have in the past in giant totes layering a few inches of soil, a few inches of Comfrey leaves, more soil, more
    Comfrey etc etc

Within a month or so the Comfrey has all but disappeared leaving you with rich soil again.

Then there’s the compost heap, the worms, in place mulching around vegetables etc...

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Cut one of the Comfrey plants down last night and mulched one of the Broccoli beds with it. I really need to take the time to get the rest done this coming weekend.

3FDA59DF-4B6A-48DF-B643-5E605C626D12.jpeg

423C5DA5-2D41-4C49-8F7C-CE1208A46A56.png

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. How old are those comfrey plants jerry? Those things are huge! No wonder you have so much mulch laying around, I guess it’s yime to add a few more comfrey plants around the yard...

Thank you as always for the inspiration to do it better sir!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Time flies - but I’m guessing these are 7-8 years old now?

• Like Like x 2
  12. So I had a slight hiccup with my blumat on 1 container 7 gallon no till kinda drained her good..... 20180622_160237.jpg topdressed with fresh vermicompost from the worm bin...what else you think I should add besides less water lmao.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Just Time...

• Like Like x 2
  14. #5094 Jay_R_1787, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Hey that's easy enough. Thanks man!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Was gone for 5 days had no clue. Got lucky it wasn't worse

• Like Like x 4
  16. Luckily you’re able to go the 5 days -

Think about the Bottle folks that have to water at least once a day...

Back in the day when I bought my first 1K HPS in, oh, let’s say ‘84’ To 85? or something like that - there weren’t any grow stores or at least not on every street corner. There was one in New England -

ONE. Imagine that? That store was Worms a Way on Rt 146 in Millbury, Ma, just south Of Worcester. The whole Worms Way giving our license plate numbers and personal info to the feds is a whole other story - ugh.

There was also only a couple of options for hydroponic gardening Nutrients and not 682 different brands. We were buying dry hydroponic nutrients, mixing them with water, pH balancing and hand feeding 3-4 times a day. I had to get up and xtra early before work (out roofing), leave extra mixed for my wife (girlfriend) and then water several times after I got home - 7 days a week. It really did work good but man - what a whole lotta work.

I was in my early 20’s and set up a spare bedroom in our third floor apartment. After awhile of doing this I got smart and after every crop came down I gave my wife all the spare $$ that I didn’t need to buy new bulbs and nutrients. Before I knew it she had saved enough to put a healthy down payment on our first home. I sure wasn’t saving money out roofing! Good thing because we had just had our first child and the third floor thing was getting old.

Man - 3-4 times a day of flooding the 5 gallon pails by hand and then using a little pump to pump It back to the toilet. We were using a 50:50 mix of perlite and vermiculite back then.

Old war stories... lol

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. No kidding right? Hauling water from the kitchen over to my buddy's garage upstairs in the second story via 5 gallon pails was getting old. Not that it wasn't working just wasn't worth the steady traffic over there. Now I look like I am a caretaker mow his yard 1x a week, if that. Filling the blumat reservoir sometimes 2x a week was looking suspicious imo. Looks like my state is gonna be next year tho for recreational fingers crossed. My veggie garden exploded as well whilst we were on vacation. Everything but the peppers, They seem to be slow growing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sure Cuomo isn't just blowing smoke up your ass

• Like Like x 2
  19. Probably but he put his own money into studying it so that's making me wonder. They are following Vermont and Massachusetts in the process of legalizing. Who knows tho...till then it's a shallow grave for me lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #5100 jerry111165, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Man - you and I both...

IMO I don’t get them big enough early enough - I’d really like to be putting 18” tall healthy plants in the ground with 5 gallon sized root balls.

I always get a few nice peppers but not nearly what I should be getting. They take awhile - most come from lower latitudes and simply take more time than I give them up north here.

We used to have a member that was an old-schooler that used to hang in @AugustWest s thread occasionally and I’m trying to remember who it was but this fella was growing five and 6 foot tall pepper plants and harvesting an incredible amount of fruit. I’ll have to see what I can dig up…

Edit: it was peppers from @Ganja Guru - but it’s been awhile... and I couldn’t locate any of his pictures...

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1