Organic soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Clearsky, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Well I was going to try a organic run to see how it works out, bought this soil for starters. Screenshot_20210727-204048.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. It won't be to hot for a mix for seedlings will it. Don't know anything about it just thought the ingredients look good to me.

3. Coast of Maine make good stuff, though I've never used this particular mix before. I always consider normal growing mix to be too hot for seedlings but I grow autos which are more temperamental than photos. You could always thin some out with peat and use that as a starter, too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've never used that exact Coast of Maine blend. They do make high quality products. I have used their quoddy blend when building a organic mix for my vegetable garden. Your seedlings should be fine with that mix.This is what the girlfriend uses for her hanging flowerpots,and it works very well. I believe this blend is about 10$ cheaper per bag. 20210727_215422.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Too hot? Does that mean too many nutrients for small roots to deal with?

• Like Like x 1
  6. To me hot is strong nutrients in the mix that makes up the organic soil. Like old cow manures good to use, but if you used fresh cow manure it would probably burn up your seedling because things in it haven't broken down yet, like I said new to organic but I want to plant my plant and only water it threw the grow with out having to add chemical fertilizers to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. That is the very blend i use for clones and seedlings, I live on the east coast so it's readily available here. Coast of Maine makes good stuff. I haven't had an issue with it being too hot for the babies.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Basically, yes! In some instances - autos are a good example - seedlings have a hard time with a mix that’s too nutrient rich (hot is a term we throw around here that has several meanings and I should have been more specific).

• Like Like x 3
  9. I had concerns with this but I seeded several plants straight 8nto bagged organic soil recently with few problems.

• Like Like x 4
  10. After doing a little research on this organic soil, would I need to add some extra fish bone meal to it so the buds will grow good, or is there anything else I should add to it for a complete grow in a 7 gallon planter bag. Will only be watering the plant with 6.5 water with a little silica in water to help with the strength for stems.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Malted barley powder would be good to add when you fill pots. Go to a beer brewing hobby store and buy whole malted barley. Pale malt like “2 Row 6L” is what I use. Expect to pay $1-$2 a pound. 2 pounds goes a long way. Grind this up in a coffee grinder right before you use it. I top dress weekly during flower with worm castings/vermicompost.
    It wouldn’t be bad to have some extra fishbone meal. You might want to top dress some more of this right around the time they flip to flower.
    Cheers
    Os

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Are you growing photo's? 7's are kind of small for this style. If you decide to roll with 7's then don't go with a veg longer than like 2 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Will be a auto

14. Ahhh gotcha, you should be good then!

15. Yes if it works good for me I got some 20 gallon air pots I will use later down the road if the plant in the 7 gallon planter bag grows good with this soil mixture.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well I got the barley and blended it up and added to my soil mixture, and now a young alien vs triangle from mephisto is born in it so I will see how my first organic soil mixture goes. In a 7 gallon planter bag. Screenshot_20210804-120954.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Lots of Mephisto growers, including myself, over in my auto sticky thread! Swing on by and keep us posted.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  18. I looked around and couldn't find a auto sticky thread

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. @Clearsky, I'd strongly suggest reading the first few pages at the very least before moving forward. Organic sinse offers some solid advice right in the beginning of the thread. He is GC's expert on growing auto-flowers in organic soil. Everyone on that thread will make you feel welcomed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2